Launchpad entry: client-s-unity8-on-desktop
Contributors: Stephen M. Webb
Provide a preview Unity 8 on Mir session for Ubuntu 13.10 for evaluation and testing.
The Ubuntu convergence story has one single Unity running on all for factors (phone, table, TV, desktop). Before a converged Unity is ready for general consumption, it needs to be test driven and refined under regular use. This is a specification for putting Unity 8, the phone and tablet oriented Unity, on the desktop.
* designers need to see how apps and widgets interact with the larger form factor and varying input devices available on the desktop
* developers need to review how their apps and libraries work with the larger form factor and varying input devices available on the desktop
* the adventurous and curious want to get a preview of what's coming on their desktops soon
- Mir needs to run as a system compositor on the desktop, using commercial drivers.
- Mir needs to run as a session compositor.
- lLighDM needs to be able to run either X/Compiz or Mir as a session compositor and allow the choice of Unity 7 or Unity 8
- Unity 8 needs to be able to run on Mir
- A Unity 8 session with all required ancillary processes needs to be set up for LightDM
- A PPA needs to be set up with appropriate Mir, LightDM, and Unity 8 packages for Saucy
- Regular QA builds into the PPA need to be set up
- Documentation on how to set up, how to use, and how to contribute (especially reporting bugs) the session