So far, I've made a basic backend. There's no point it me writing a shell script, seeing as it'll have to be rewritten anyway, so heres a vague outline:
- Ask the user if (s)he wants ubuntu, kubuntu or xubuntu and i386 or AMD64
- Ask the user what version to use.
- Ask which pen drive to use, and make sure it is at least 720MB.
- Warn the user that the pen drive will be erased.
Download this, unzip it and write it to the pen drive. This contains the partition table (a single 720MB FAT16 partition) and the MBR.
Do the command: syslinux -s <first partition of the pen drive>
- Mount the first partition on the pen drive.
Download http://alecjw.no-ip.org/usbuntu/ubuntu-7.10-alternate-i386.tar.bz2 (kubuntu/xubuntu, other archs and other versions will be there soon, just replace the appropriate parts of the filename) unzip it to the pen drive.
- Copy the CD image to the pen drive (maybe offer to download it if the user does not have a copy?)
- You're done!