23092009

This is the 4th meeting of the Welsh LoCo Team, starting at 19:00 BST and finishing at 19:54 BST

Attendance

Please type PRESENT when the meeting starts to indicate who is online and paying attention.

Active Atendees:

  • ianto
  • brobostigon
  • dariusH
  • markie-
  • markjones
  • chippanfat

Minutes

  • A summary of the meeting will be placed here after the meeting. Topics will be linked to the topics in the log.

Guide Lines

The meeting moderator will ensure key points are discussed. Key points from the Agenda will be noted by [TOPIC] Agenda item. When ideas are put forward to be considered they should be noted by [IDEA] Idea. The meeting moderator will indicate the final state of each topic by [ACTION] Action being taken. This should signify that the topic is discussed and the meeting is moving forward. The meeting moderator will use special tags to start and end the meeting and its recording. Please see MootBot for details on specific tags.

IRC LOGS

   1 18:59 <@ianto> #startmeeting
   2 18:59 < MootBot> Meeting started at 12:59. The chair is ianto.
   3 18:59 < MootBot> Commands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]
   4 19:00 <@brobostigon> PRESENT
   5 19:00 <@ianto> Right today's meeting is obviously about the Global Jam event happening on the weekend of the 3rd of October :-)
   6 19:00  * markjones sleeps
   7 19:00 <@brobostigon> yes. :)
   8 19:00 <@ianto> Our venue will be the _new_ Cardiff Central Library
   9 19:00 <@brobostigon> one second, brb.
  10 19:01 <@ianto> markjones: This +is+ logged btw! :P
  11 19:01 <@ianto> I've been out and about scouting Cardiff btw and I've made some notes on how to get there from the train st. and the High Street
  12 19:01 <@ianto> I've got photos and I'll make a guide/map after the meeting
  13 19:02 <@ianto> Firstly, who here is able to attend it? :)
  14 19:03 <@ianto> If you're not able to, still respond so I'm not feeling so lonely
  15 19:04  * brobostigon retuns
  16 19:04 < markjones> no
  17 19:04 <@brobostigon> i can attend remotly.
  18 19:04 < markjones> i'm going to be in Bangor, and trying to arrange something up here
  19 19:05 < dariusH> 4 minutes late :(
  20 19:05 <@ianto> Ocei it doesn't look like anyone persent will be attending in-person, but I'll be forcing chippanfat aka Ethan to come, dariusH will hopefully be coming and well markie- lives in Cardiff, there is no excuse for him :)
  21 19:05 < dariusH> hopefully? you questioning my loyalty?
  22 19:06 <@ianto> Yes and your availability
  23 19:06 < dariusH> It's a weekend, the only problem i have is money, but it's not that much to get to cardiff
  24 19:06 <@ianto> £6.10 return ticket from Neath :)
  25 19:07 < markie-> i might show up
  26 19:07 < dariusH> Might?
  27 19:07 < markie-> yea might
  28 19:07 < markie-> i most likely will
  29 19:08 <@ianto> That's what we want to hear :)
  30 19:08 < dariusH> you must come geek out, what other oppertunity do you get?
  31 19:08 <@brobostigon> i will also try an attend in person,
  32 19:08 <@brobostigon> if i can.
  33 19:08 <@ianto> Anyway of te two present who could be attending, how much experiece do you have in working on Ubuntu especially in lp?
  34 19:09 <@ianto> s/two/three/g
  35 19:09 <@brobostigon> i wonder how much it will cost, to get to cardiff and back.
  36 19:09 <@ianto> brobostigon: Do you have any sort of railcard?
  37 19:10 <@brobostigon> ianto: nope.
  38 19:10 <@ianto> brobostigon: I'll get a quote in a mo
  39 19:10 <@ianto> The other two what about you ^
  40 19:10 <@brobostigon> ianto: ok, i was just goingto have a look aswell.
  41 19:11 <@ianto> brobostigon: Okay, you'll hae a better idea so go on nationalrail.co.uk :)
  42 19:11 <@brobostigon> ianto: alittle experience with LP, not extensive though,
  43 19:11 <@ianto> Btw a "none" response will be just as useful as "über bug fix0r"
  44 19:12 < markie-> ianto: I'm not entirely familiar with packaging, bugging etc and all that, but i was hoping to learn something concerning that at that event
  45 19:12 <@ianto> markie-: Duly noted
  46 19:12 <@ianto> Well I was thinking we could split the day up a bit into sectors of things to work on and geekout things as well
  47 19:12 < markie-> i mean, i could just like starting reading right now and practice, but meh, it'll be fun to be taught in peson
  48 19:12 < markie-> person*
  49 19:13 <@ianto> Such as a Keysigning party, a Karmic hardware testing review, Bug triaging and en_GB translations
  50 19:13 <@ianto> Nothings makes me rage a smuch as seeing an  en_US string in a en_GB DE!
  51 19:13 <@ianto> *as much
  52 19:13 <@ianto> :)
  53 19:14 < markie-> that's sounds pretty cool
  54 19:14 <@ianto> Of course depending on the language skills, during the translation part, one half can do en_GB and one half can d cy
  55 19:15 <@ianto> Although I don't think any Welsh speakers will be attending from the responses so far ^
  56 19:15 < markie-> do we have a room to ourselfs? or isit just out in the open?
  57 19:15 <@ianto> markie-: We're on the top floor, in a quiet area, basically an empty region with like half of a floor where we can hang out
  58 19:16 < markie-> and most importantly will you be bringing change for that coffee machine?
  59 19:16 <@ianto> markie-: You're a local you must know what floor 5 is like
  60 19:16 < dariusH> coffee sounds good
  61 19:16 < markie-> all teh floors look the same
  62 19:16 <@ianto> Oh forgot to say in this meeting, our area has a coffee machine like 3ft form us
  63 19:16 <@ianto> *from
  64 19:17 <@ianto> So how does an idea of perhaps a GPG keysigning party and/or other naturally geeky things sound to you guys?
  65 19:17 <@brobostigon> :) coffee
  66 19:18 < dariusH> I don't have a laptop...
  67 19:18 <@ianto> dariusH: Can't you borrow your mother's?
  68 19:18 < dariusH> 3 desktops but no laptop :/
  69 19:18 <@ianto> I swear there are like 3 laptops in your house
  70 19:18 <@brobostigon> i could bring both my thinkpad and my ibook g3.
  71 19:19 < dariusH> was 2 laptops
  72 19:19 < dariusH> my sisters gone to uni
  73 19:19 < markie-> brobostigon: will you be making it?
  74 19:19 < dariusH> my mothers laptop battery is a dud, goes off as soon as you unplug it
  75 19:19 <@ianto> dariusH: We'll have power :)
  76 19:19 <@brobostigon> markie-: i am just looking at cost.
  77 19:19 -!- markjones_ [n=markjone@147.143.254.214] has joined #ubuntu-cym
  78 19:19 -!- markjones [n=markjone@147.143.254.214] has quit [Connection reset by peer]
  79 19:19 < markie-> brobostigon: Sounds good
  80 19:19 -!- markjones_ is now known as markjones
  81 19:19 < markjones> sorry
  82 19:20 <@ianto> No worries ^
  83 19:20 <@brobostigon> markie-: £44.50 return
  84 19:20 < chippanfat> this is a rough guess. But I tried to ping my server externaly and had no response, would that be to do with firewall built into ubuntu server? I havent really checked if it has in-built firewall like windows does?
  85 19:20 < markie-> brobostigon: affordable?
  86 19:20 < markjones> hmm
  87 19:20 <@ianto> chippanfat: Meeting in progress! 
  88 19:21 <@brobostigon> markie-: maybe,
  89 19:21 < chippanfat> sorry dude :)
  90 19:21 < markjones> I can travel down to Carmarthen for free
  91 19:21 <@ianto> chippanfat: Btw you're coming to Cardiff, weren't you?
  92 19:21 < chippanfat> when is it? :)
  93 19:21 <@ianto> Oct 3rd - 4th
  94 19:21 < dariusH> chippanfat: that's probably your router not the server
  95 19:21 < markie-> we should have something like a cym change box, where we can help members finanically to make the events
  96 19:22 <@brobostigon> markie-: i am not working at the moment either, so that is alot of money.
  97 19:22 < chippanfat> dariusH: I've forwarded the services "SFTP, FTP and SSH"
  98 19:22 < markie-> brobostigon: Yea believe me i understand :P
  99 19:22 <@brobostigon> markie-: i see, :( ohwell.
 100 19:22 < dariusH> chippanfat: what router do you have?
 101 19:23 < markie-> brobostigon: but, we might be able to all chip in
 102 19:23 < markie-> ianto: ?
 103 19:23 < markjones> can anybody put me up for a night or two?
 104 19:23 < dariusH> markie-: that's me out, i have £0, still applying anywhere i can
 105 19:23 < chippanfat> Ianto: "I'll come to cardiff dude :) chip in for the fuel and i'll take you there :)
 106 19:23 < chippanfat> Dariush: Netgear
 107 19:23 < dariusH> chippanfat: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1118
 108 19:23 < dariusH> give that a go
 109 19:23 < chippanfat> dariusH: DG834GT
 110 19:24 <@ianto> markie-: Yeah?
 111 19:24 < markie-> ianto: you think you can help brobostigon with his ticket?
 112 19:24 <@brobostigon> ok, can we go back ontopic,
 113 19:24 <@ianto> markjones: I'd be honoured to share my place but I dunno about room, I'll negotiate with some people in-house or other -cym folk ;)
 114 19:25 <@ianto> markie-: Erm... I have just £20 atm so that covers food and train ticket for Cardiff
 115 19:25 < markie-> god we're all so broke
 116 19:25 < markjones> ianto: yeah, ok, i'm able to get as far as Carmarthen on Trawscambria services
 117 19:25 < markjones> that'll take about a day
 118 19:25 < dariusH> i applied to cash converters the other day heh
 119 19:25 < dariusH> anyway, back ontopic :P
 120 19:25 < markjones> oh sh*t
 121 19:25 <@brobostigon> otherwise i can just chipin remotly over voip
 122 19:26 < markjones> (sorry, shouldn't swear)
 123 19:26 <@ianto> markjones: Not advised, still happens ;-)
 124 19:26 <@ianto> Regardless, do youu want to do some other stuff other than just work there? :)
 125 19:26 < markjones> i'll not be able to come down, as my timetable is pretty full
 126 19:27 < markjones> but people are welcome to come up North
 127 19:28 <@brobostigon> ok, so do w have a plan?
 128 19:28 <@ianto> yeah, just trying to see what people would like to add to it :)
 129 19:29 <@brobostigon> well i dont think with train cost, i will be able to atend, so i cant input.
 130 19:30 < dariusH> is food allowed in the library or do we have to go somewhere to eat?
 131 19:30 <@ianto> For  aquick recap, bug triage, testing h/w and s/w, key sign, translation
 132 19:31 <@ianto> I recommend that you guys bring a good form of ID if you aren't keysigning
 133 19:31 <@ianto> In case you need a library card
 134 19:31 <@ianto> dariusH: Well there are lots of tables outside
 135 19:31 <@ianto> And you could sneak if you had to
 136 19:32 <@ianto> we are pretty hidden
 137 19:32 <@ianto> But I'm not sure if it is outlawed
 138 19:32 <@brobostigon> ok, for those that cant attend, is a voip + video link possible?
 139 19:32 < markie-> dariusH: they sell food in the machines so i think it most likely is, i eat in there all the time
 140 19:32 <@ianto> markie-: What's your experience in this matter?
 141 19:32 <@ianto> Ahh OK ^
 142 19:32 <@ianto> Oh yeah, who is actually good with VoIP solutions?
 143 19:33 < dariusH> we
 144 19:33 < markjones> me
 145 19:33 < dariusH> are we having any voip links with other jam events?
 146 19:33 < dariusH> ie or uk?
 147 19:33 <@ianto> It'd  be nice and video would be nice too
 148 19:33 <@ianto> But watch out the Birmingham jammers are quite a site :D
 149 19:34 <@ianto> *sight
 150 19:34 < markjones> lol
 151 19:34 < markjones> use Ekiga
 152 19:34 <@brobostigon> is it possible to do two directional, not just outgoing audio and video?
 153 19:34 <@ianto> Last year we used a website hosting both of our feeds
 154 19:34 <@ianto> But there was like a 3 second delay
 155 19:35 < markjones> yeah
 156 19:35 < markjones> there are websites that do that
 157 19:35 < dariusH> what net speeds does the library use?
 158 19:35 <@brobostigon> can we then use skype or something, so i can input from here.?
 159 19:35 < markjones> dariusH: should be about normal ADSL
 160 19:35 < markjones> brobostigon: the websites have chat
 161 19:35 <@ianto> I thought that libraries ran off of the gvt backbone?
 162 19:35 < markjones> some link to IRC
 163 19:36 < markjones> ianto: some do
 164 19:36 < markjones> depends on the Local Authority
 165 19:36 < dariusH> as long as it's not the educational network, that's horribly slow
 166 19:36 < markjones> might be quite quick in cardiff
 167 19:36 <@brobostigon> markjones: i see, ok. am not sure that maybe sufficiant.
 168 19:37 < markjones> brobostigon: sufficient for what?
 169 19:37 <@brobostigon> markjones: for me to be able to provide input.
 170 19:37 <@ianto> chippanfat: What time will you be leaving Neath out of curiosity?
 171 19:37 < markjones> brobostigon: input for what?
 172 19:38 <@brobostigon> markjones: into what you chaps will be doing,
 173 19:39 < markjones> ok, how about one or two machines run a Skype/Ekiga connection
 174 19:39 < markjones> and one runs the webcam/IRC chat
 175 19:39 <@brobostigon> markjones: i dont know, depends on what is possible, and what is needed.
 176 19:41 <@ianto> Right i'll be bringing a webcam
 177 19:41 <@ianto> Second issue for geeks is electricity
 178 19:41 <@ianto> We are permitted to use the library's power supply
 179 19:41 <@brobostigon> thats good.
 180 19:41 <@ianto> Where we are there are just two plugs, I have a 4 power power surge protector extension cable
 181 19:41 <@ianto> and a 3port square plug thing
 182 19:42 <@ianto> Can anyone else assist in the networking of power?
 183 19:42 <@ianto> Oh I should mention, our area has a capacity of 13 people which IMO is more than enough since that is 33% of the lp team :)
 184 19:42  * brobostigon imagines a hydrogen fuel cell. :)
 185 19:42 <@ianto> I did a count earlier... :)
 186 19:43 <@brobostigon> :)
 187 19:44 <@ianto> If only IRC had a nudge feature...
 188 19:45 <@brobostigon> interesting idea.
 189 19:45 <@brobostigon> a flash in irssi?
 190 19:45 <@brobostigon> a sound, a noise?
 191 19:46 <@ianto> Yeah well, I think we have the actual power sorted for 7 people
 192 19:46 < markjones> http://www.ustream.tv/
 193 19:46 < MootBot> LINK received:  http://www.ustream.tv/
 194 19:47 < markjones> it's the service my friends used, and links to IRC
 195 19:48 <@brobostigon> ok.
 196 19:49 <@ianto> markjones: We'll try using that
 197 19:50 < markjones> ianto: cool :)
 198 19:50 < markjones> i'll use it too
 199 19:50 <@ianto> Alright is there anyything that people would like to add to this meeting?
 200 19:50 <@ianto> I will be creating an OpenStreet map shortly
 201 19:50 < markjones> no, except that i'm now ill :(
 202 19:50 <@ianto> With pictures to email to our team
 203 19:50 <@brobostigon> ubuntu rocks
 204 19:50 <@ianto> :(
 205 19:51 <@brobostigon> i will try to attend, if i can find the money, and save money somewhere else.
 206 19:51 <@ianto> brobostigon: Don't feel that you _have_ to! Just survive first before improving Ubuntu :)
 207 19:52 <@brobostigon> ianto: ok, :)
 208 19:52 <@ianto> Is that now all from you guys?
 209 19:53 <@brobostigon> yes.
 210 19:53 -!- chippanfat [n=ethan@78.145.183.122] has quit [Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)]
 211 19:54 <@ianto> #endmeeting
 212 19:54 < MootBot> Meeting finished at 13:54.

WelshTeam/Meetings/23092009 (last edited 2009-09-23 19:08:24 by chris)