⇤ ← Revision 1 as of 2016-03-11 20:44:32 →
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
= DRAFT -- NOT FOR RELEASE =
|Line 8:||Line 10:|
|<p>Read this guide in other languages:</p>||##<p>Read this guide in other languages:</p>|
|Line 47:||Line 49:|
|Line 51:||Line 53:|
|##Update features - These are from Ubuntu 14.04||##Update features - These are from Ubuntu 15.10
* Kernel is now the 4.4 LTS kernel to sync with the 16.04 release.
|Line 55:||Line 58:|
|* The problematical iBus has now been replaced with Fcitx. With that change the fonts for Chinese, Japanese and Korean have been added back into the build.|
|Line 57:||Line 59:|
|* Lubuntu Mac images are [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS | LTS]] releases.||* Lubuntu PPC Mac images are available in this [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS | LTS]] release.|
|Line 70:||Line 72:|
|Lubuntu is a good operating system for many old computers, but not for all of them. Some computers have too little horsepower or memory. A rule of thumb is that the computer should not be more than 10 years old. The desktop image for lubuntu 15.10 requires a DVD / USB device to write it to, the alternate image remains CD sized for those who need this functionality.||Lubuntu is a good operating system for many old computers, but not for all of them. Some computers have too little horsepower or memory. A rule of thumb is that the computer should not pre-date 2000. The desktop images for lubuntu 16.04 requires a DVD / USB device to write it to, the alternate images are for those with have non-standard setups or Low RAM.|
|Line 88:||Line 90:|
|= Known Issues (Core) =
== Boot, installation and post-install ==
* In Virtualbox, the installer currently has a bug where after the installation is complete, the installation medium will eject, but you will be unable to press ENTER to reboot. Powering off and back on should boot you into your installed system. This is being tracked in bug Bug:1447038
* The amd64 (Intel x86 64bit) images specifically targeted at Apple hardware (amd64+mac) are no longer produced. Most Apple computers are now capable of booting the amd64 image directly using the EFI (not legacy) boot method so long as their firmware is up to date. If for some reason your hardware doesn't boot properly using the amd64 image, make sure you don't have a pending EFI update and if that still doesn't ##work, then patch the 64-bit ISO using the software in [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1298894/comments/16|bug #1298894]] (tested working on Macbook 2,1). Alternatively, simply use the ##i386 (32bit) image instead.
* Due to changes in syslinux, it is not currently possible to use usb-creator from 14.04 and earlier releases to write USB images for 15.04; we believe that it is also not possible to use usb-creator from a 15.04 system to write USB images for earlier releases. For now the workaround is to use a matching release of Ubuntu to write the images, but we intend to issue updates soon to work around this incompatibility. [[Bug:1325801]] (Lubuntu suggested workaround is to use [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI|OBI]] which is not affected by this problem).
## * On OEM installations, after the end user configuration in a different language than the default initial ##OEM installation, extra language packs are not installed (Bug:1446539) You can install extra language packs ##by selecting "Language Support" in "System Settings". A dialog will prompt you to install missing language ##packs.
## * During installation on a ''blank disk'' on a UEFI system, if the user creates custom partitions, the ##installer displays a 'Force UEFI installation?' dialog while there is no pre-installed system ##(Bug:1447256). This dialog is not displayed if the custom partitioner is not used. This message is harmless ##since no previous installation exists on the system and you can proceed with the installation.
##* Systems running multipath with a very large number of paths might experience long delays and issues ##during boot (for example, failure to mount the root filesystem or other filesystems); for details and ##work-around see bug Bug:1467989.
## * On DELL XPS 13, the EFI partition is wiped if the option "wipe whole disk and install" is selected in ##the partitioner (Bug:1499323) The EFI partition and the boot can be restored by following the instruction ##documented in the bug report.
* The Unetbootin versions in the Ubuntu repos are old ([[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unetbootin/+bug/1497604|1497604]]) (Lubuntu suggested workaround is to use [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI | OBI]] which is not affected by this problem).
* Guided partitioning shortcut "max" gives minimum space instead [[http://launchpad.net/bugs/1163908 | 1163908]]
|Line 103:||Line 93:|
|* If several keyboard layouts are configured before upgrade, the wrong layout might be selected after upgrade (Bug:1447157) Re-select the keyboard layout of your choice from the keyboard indicator or system-settings to make it the default. This setting will then persist upon reboot.|
|Line 108:||Line 97:|
|* For a full list of issues and features common to Ubuntu, please refer to the [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WilyWerewolf/ReleaseNotes | Ubuntu release notes]].||* For a full list of issues and features common to Ubuntu, please refer to the [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes | Ubuntu release notes]].|
|Line 113:||Line 102:|
|## * lightdm has black greeter background for Lubuntu ([[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm-gtk-greeter/+bug/1466191|1466191]])|
|Line 115:||Line 104:|
|## * lxpanel volume applet settings opens empty terminal window; workaround exists ([[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxpanel/+bug/1434774 | 1434774]]).
## * Intermittent bug with additional applets appearing ([[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxpanel/+bug/1488660 | 1488660]] Workaround Exists)
|Line 121:||Line 109:|
|## * lxpanel-indicator-applet-plugin doesn't use any theme and looks ugly, but still fully functional (bug [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxpanel/+bug/1468854|1468854]])
## * run dialog called from one desktop opens on the desktop with preferences dialog, regardless of which desktop is current ([[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxpanel/+bug/1445818|1445818]])
## * lxappearance does not launch in kvm vm with vmvga graphics ([[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxappearance/+bug/1464899|1464899]])
## * lxappearance segmentation fault ([[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxappearance/+bug/1499037|1499037]])
|Line 134:||Line 118:|
|* 5 years support||* 3 years support|
DRAFT -- NOT FOR RELEASE
New Features in Lubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Kernel is now the 4.4 LTS kernel to sync with the 16.04 release.
- General bug fix release as we prepare for LXQt.
- Many LXDE components have been updated with bug fix releases.
- An update of the artwork (more icons, theme update, more compatibilities ...).
- lubuntu-extra-sessions: In the past, selecting different sessions (netbook, gaming etc.) was installed by default. This is now an optional extra that can be installed by those who want this added functionality.
Lubuntu PPC Mac images are available in this LTS release.
Based on the lightweight LXDE desktop environment.
Pcmanfm, a fast and lightweight files manager using gio/gvfs.
Openbox, the fast and extensible, default windows-manager of LXDE.
Lightdm, using the simple GTK greeter
- Firefox, the famous web browser.
For more detail, please see the full list of applications.
Lubuntu is a good operating system for many old computers, but not for all of them. Some computers have too little horsepower or memory. A rule of thumb is that the computer should not pre-date 2000. The desktop images for lubuntu 16.04 requires a DVD / USB device to write it to, the alternate images are for those with have non-standard setups or Low RAM.
For advanced internet services like Google+, Youtube, Google Docs and Facebook, your computer needs about 1 GB RAM.
For local programs like Libre Office and simple browsing habits, your computer needs about 512 MB RAM. See minimal for systems below that RAM.
The minimum specification for CPU is Pentium 4 or Pentium M or AMD K8.
Older processors are too slow and AMD K7 has problems with flash video.
Graphics chip / card
Nvidia, AMD/ATI/Radeon and Intel work out of the box, or the system can be tweaked to work fairly easily. You can get help at the Ubuntu Forums. With such graphics, or if you don't know, try the current Lubuntu version.
Celeron M computers can have trouble installing, workaround exists.
Ubuntu Release notes
For a full list of issues and features common to Ubuntu, please refer to the Ubuntu release notes.
Known Issues (Lubuntu)
run dialog opens on desktop with lxpanel config not current desktop (1445818).
lxpanel volume applet settings opens empty terminal window (1434774 Workaround Exists)
lubuntu-software-center only lists installed applications from alternate install (1467517 Workaround Exists)
Abiword language selector text cut off in abiword (1484785)
Head over here to get it.
- 3 years support
XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes/Lubuntu (last edited 2018-03-02 00:06:04 by tsimonq2)