DRAFT -- NOT FOR RELEASE
New Features in Lubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Kernel is now the 4.4 LTS kernel to sync with the 16.04 release.
- General bug fix release as we prepare for LXQt.
- Many LXDE components have been updated with bug fix releases.
- An update of the artwork (more icons, theme update, more compatibilities ...).
- lubuntu-extra-sessions: In the past, selecting different sessions (netbook, gaming etc.) was installed by default. This is now an optional extra that can be installed by those who want this added functionality.
Lubuntu PPC Mac images are available in this LTS release.
Based on the lightweight LXDE desktop environment.
Pcmanfm, a fast and lightweight files manager using gio/gvfs.
Openbox, the fast and extensible, default windows-manager of LXDE.
Lightdm, using the simple GTK greeter
- Firefox, the famous web browser.
For more detail, please see the full list of applications.
Lubuntu is a good operating system for many old computers, but not for all of them. Some computers have too little horsepower or memory. A rule of thumb is that the computer should not pre-date 2000. The desktop images for lubuntu 16.04 requires a DVD / USB device to write it to, the alternate images are for those with have non-standard setups or Low RAM.
For advanced internet services like Google+, Youtube, Google Docs and Facebook, your computer needs about 1 GB RAM.
For local programs like Libre Office and simple browsing habits, your computer needs about 512 MB RAM. See minimal for systems below that RAM.
The minimum specification for CPU is Pentium 4 or Pentium M or AMD K8.
Older processors are too slow and AMD K7 has problems with flash video.
Graphics chip / card
Nvidia, AMD/ATI/Radeon and Intel work out of the box, or the system can be tweaked to work fairly easily. You can get help at the Ubuntu Forums. With such graphics, or if you don't know, try the current Lubuntu version.
Celeron M computers can have trouble installing, workaround exists.
Ubuntu Release notes
For a full list of issues and features common to Ubuntu, please refer to the Ubuntu release notes.
Known Issues (Lubuntu)
run dialog opens on desktop with lxpanel config not current desktop (1445818).
lxpanel volume applet settings opens empty terminal window (1434774 Workaround Exists)
lubuntu-software-center only lists installed applications from alternate install (1467517 Workaround Exists)
Abiword language selector text cut off in abiword (1484785)
Head over here to get it.
- 3 years support