2011-01-13 Meeting Minutes
- oshosi will get the discussion started on the ML for default applications in Natty - DONE
- pleia2 to check on converting website to new logo and icons - carried forward
- cody-somerville has not gotten a message back to pleia2 yet, and that is holding up action
- charlie-tca to get thorwil and ochosi together about artwork - carried forward
- charlie-tca to start the discussion about default launchers on the ML - carried forward
Packaging & Development
- Xfce4.8 is scheduled for release this Sunday
- mr_pouit and micahg to discuss possible backport of Xfce4.8
- uploaded xfce4-power-manager 1.0.3
- patched xfce4-session to lock the screen on suspend/hibernate
Bug Triage & Testing
- We have triaged about 70 bugs this week
- I went through all the 10.04 bugs, and we don't actually have any critical to the release
Website & Marketing
- Suggestion from ochosi - it would be great if the first page would show the slideshow that is shown during installation
- ochosi has done a lot of work on greybird
- please take a look at them if you have time, and give some feedback
- as many people as possible need to review the latest docs in bzr
- lp:xubuntu-docs is the lastest branch of the documentation
Updates for Xubuntu 10.04.2
- The freeze for 10.04.2 is 2011-01-20
- we need to get anything for 10.04.2 into -proposed by next thursday
- Community Council received a single nomination for Project Lead.
- If there are no objections raised, we can confirm charlie-tca by simple vote.
- pleia2 suggests sending an email to the list prior to asking for votes and will be the contact person for these confirmation votes.
Any Other Business
- No other business was brought up
- Next meeting is in one week, January 20, #ubuntu-meeting, at 19:00 UTC.
Action items for the 2011-01-13 meeting
- take the discussion about default launchers to the ML - carried forward
Please see the previous log
The governancy part of the current Strategy Document can be found at Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu Governance & Team Structure
- The Xubuntu project will advance towards a Council-based governance approach.
The Xubuntu Council
- The Council size should be 5 members, with one of them being the PL.
- PL will have a vote in every voting in the Council, not just as a tie-breaker.
- The 4 members in the Council in addition to the PL should be selected by the existing Xubuntu Contributors.
- The appropriate Team Lead can be the tiebreaker in a vote, but only if PL is absent.
- The council should *aim* to have balanced membership across the different aspects/teams of Xubuntu.
- The council should be named/selected after every LTS release. Thus, every season lasts for 2 years.
2011-01-06 Meeting Log
Started logging meeting in #ubuntu-meeting
[13:06:43] <charlie-tca> I think we should start this meeting.
[13:07:11] <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] The agenda is available for everyone at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings
[13:07:41] <charlie-tca> hm, the meeting bot is an hour off today
[13:08:11] <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] Old business
[13:08:23] <charlie-tca> first we have updates for http://xubuntu.org
[13:08:56] <charlie-tca> cody-somerville has not gotten a message back to pleia2 yet, and that is holding up action
[13:09:50] <beardygnome> is cody-somerville here?
[13:09:55] <charlie-tca> next, we have the discussion started on the ML for default applications in Natty
[13:10:12] <charlie-tca> He is probably in Dallas, but I don't know for sure
[13:10:22] <charlie-tca> He is not answering today
[13:10:35] <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: we seem to have generated quite a discussion
[13:11:05] <charlie-tca> My own thoughts are that if chrome is updating monthly, maybe it is still beta even if they are not calling it that.
[13:11:26] <charlie-tca> and I would then recommend we stay with firefox
[13:11:30] <mr_pouit> it seems to be rather stable though
[13:11:51] <charlie-tca> Your choice
[13:12:00] <beardygnome> even though i prefer chromium, i'm happy with that decision for the default
[13:12:18] <charlie-tca> I do not want applications changed to give us a lower memory footprint versus usability.
[13:12:30] <mr_pouit> well, let's wait for a consensus on the ml, I'm happy with both (either firefox or chormium)
[13:12:32] <beardygnome> chrome updates are every 6 weeks or so and they are bumping up the version numbers rapidly
[13:12:44] <charlie-tca> good enough.
[13:12:56] <charlie-tca> Anyone else had a chance to test lightdm?
[13:13:12] <beardygnome> is it packaged for maverick?
[13:13:24] <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: also, claws-mail really is not as easy to setup as thunderbird, yet
[13:13:39] <charlie-tca> beardygnome: no, I don't believe it is
[13:13:50] <charlie-tca> and the ppa requires a lot of work to get it installed
[13:13:52] <mr_pouit> I never tested it, but I heard it has a 'weird' ui ;>
[13:14:05] <charlie-tca> claws-mail?
[13:14:07] <mr_pouit> yeah
[13:14:25] <charlie-tca> it is difficult to set up compared to thunderbird and evolution
[13:14:34] <mr_pouit> okay
[13:15:04] <charlie-tca> With a good possiblity of Ubuntu moving to Thunderbird in O, I think we are in a good position keeping it
[13:15:38] <beardygnome> i agree
[13:15:54] <charlie-tca> anything else on default apps?
[13:16:34] <charlie-tca> midori just isn't ready until we can transfer the bookmarks
[13:16:44] <charlie-tca> Next, we have take the discussion about default launchers to the ML
[13:16:56] <charlie-tca> I don't remember if this got started or not?
[13:17:49] <charlie-tca> I guess I should take an action for it, then
[13:18:00] <charlie-tca> [ACTION] take the discussion about default launchers to the ML
[13:18:32] <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] Team updates
[13:18:48] <charlie-tca> mr_pouit for packaging and development updates?
[13:19:59] <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: Xfce4.8 is scheduled for release this Sunday
[13:20:08] <mr_pouit> yeah
[13:20:16] <charlie-tca> any updates on the rest?
[13:20:18] <mr_pouit> not much activity this week for packaging :>
[13:20:34] <mr_pouit> uploaded xfce4-power-manager 1.0.3
[13:20:35] <charlie-tca> I would be surprised if there was, with that comingup
[13:20:53] <mr_pouit> and patched xfce4-session to lock the screen on suspend/hibernate
[13:21:10] <mr_pouit> I think that's all
[13:21:17] <charlie-tca> Great! we been looking forward to the lock
[13:21:30] <charlie-tca> thank you, mr_pouit
[13:21:35] <charlie-tca> Bug Triage & Testing
[13:21:56] <charlie-tca> We have triaged about 70 bugs this week
[13:22:13] <mr_pouit> yay, abiword spam attack in my mailbox :P
[13:22:16] <charlie-tca> I went through all the 10.04 bugs, and we don't actually have any critical to the release
[13:22:31] <charlie-tca> yup, I did that, too, huh?
[13:23:16] <charlie-tca> We do have broken images again.
[13:23:33] <charlie-tca> libwebkit is replaced by libwebkitgtk, I think it is?
[13:23:49] <charlie-tca> Do we fix that?
[13:25:15] <mr_pouit> I think it will be fixed "automagically" (i.e. we don't depend on webkit directly, so I guess it's ok)
[13:25:25] <charlie-tca> I will need to get in touch with the documentation person, so we get lucid docs done
[13:25:55] <charlie-tca> Okay, I hope so. Ubuntu live cd doesn't have the error today, so maybe we will be okay tomorrow
[13:26:30] <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] Updates for Xubuntu 10.04.2
[13:26:59] <charlie-tca> we need to get anything for 10.04.2 into -proposed by next thursday
[13:27:37] <charlie-tca> I think the docs will make it, and micahg said he will try to get them in if they are done
[13:27:57] <charlie-tca> We can do that, right, mr_pouit ?
[13:28:31] <mr_pouit> yeah, it looks ok
[13:28:48] <charlie-tca> Thank you
[13:28:56] <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] Announcements
[13:29:10] <charlie-tca> well, I don't seem to have any announcements today.
[13:29:33] <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] Any Other Business
[13:29:49] <charlie-tca> anyone have anything we missed or needs to be brought up?
[13:30:10] <mr_pouit> nothing from me =]
[13:30:18] <beardygnome> not from me
[13:30:34] <charlie-tca> I like this, nice and short today
[13:30:48] <charlie-tca> Not having any more to discuss, let's end.
[13:30:52] <mr_pouit> well, we were 3, it's easy to make a short meeting
[13:30:55] <charlie-tca> Thanks for making it to the meeting
[13:30:59] <beardygnome> oh, i did have one thing...
[13:31:09] <beardygnome> i've been testing greybird
[13:31:11] <charlie-tca> well, go ahead, beardygnome
[13:31:32] <charlie-tca> Is it working for you?
[13:32:02] <beardygnome> i got one bug fixed and i've found a couple more that i'll report on the ml
[13:32:29] <beardygnome> nopthing major, just some icons that belnd in a bit too well with the panel
[13:32:34] <charlie-tca> Thanks for doing those tests! It sure helps to know it isn't just me looking at this stuff
[13:32:41] <beardygnome> *nothing, *blend
[13:32:50] <mr_pouit> you can also report them on #shimmer if you need to discuss directly with ochosi btw
[13:33:05] <beardygnome> i think a screenshot will suffice
[13:33:19] <beardygnome> can i send attachments on the ml, or should i host it elsewhere?
[13:33:50] <charlie-tca> Can send attachments.
[13:34:12] <beardygnome> that's good - i'll screenshot my panel and drop it on the ml
[13:34:25] <charlie-tca> that works
[13:34:51] <charlie-tca> anything else?
[13:35:09] <beardygnome> that's all then. been really busy at work, but hoping to get around to the rest of the docs next week
[13:35:29] <charlie-tca> thanks again. I know your time is valuable and I appreciate you both making the meeting.
[13:35:35] <beardygnome> i've reviewed sections 1 to 6 so far
[13:35:47] <charlie-tca> There is a lot to do yet
[13:35:59] <beardygnome> on the docs or in general?
[13:36:15] <charlie-tca> I saw a message that the docs were available in html now, didn't I?
[13:36:31] <charlie-tca> docs, mostly.
[13:36:38] <beardygnome> i haven't seen that message
[13:36:53] <beardygnome> but i've been quite focused on the day job this passed week
[13:37:35] <charlie-tca> Might be all in my mind, too
[13:37:49] <charlie-tca> Okay, let's go back to work then...
[13:37:53] <charlie-tca> #endmeeting