2011-08-14 Meeting Minutes
The agenda is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings
- Charlie to dig for the xscreensaver updates, and put in an SRU - Carried Forward
GridCube to put together the "TOP 10" for Xubuntu - In-work
- madnick to look into building a lightdm greeter - In-work
- drop ristretto if it can not do what we need to photos - Carried Forward to LTS
Packaging & Development
- last week we got a few updates from Debian
- pastebinit need to be added to the defaults
- uploaded a new xubuntu settings package
- Bug #799754 Please let vendors easily provide their own config - fixed?
- Bug #799514 xubuntu-restricted-extras doesn't contain Java - non-default repository
openjdk could be added instead of SunJava
- Bug #789333 users-admin crashes on start because of mixed GTK2 and 3 symbols - we are the fix team if we plan to use this for the gui settings.
- remove the dependency on the ported to GTK3 libraries, we'd have to drop it in favor of something else (if it exists)
- or upload another copy of the GTK2 versions of those libs
Bug Triage & Testing
- Images were broken all week again.
- Keep the bugs coming in, please
We are tracking the Oneiric bugs at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Bugs/OneiricOcelot
Website & Marketing
- No update
- madnick is working on both plymouth and lightdm themes for Xubuntu
- Please contact charlie-tca or madnick in #xubuntu-devel to help test this
- We need someone that can go through the wiki documentation and update it.
- The next meeting will be on Monday, 2011-08-22 at 19:00 UTC
- Important dates coming up:
11.10 FeatureFreeze : In effect as of August 11, 2011 at 21:00 UTC
11.10 BetaFreeze: Aug 25, 2011 at 21:00 UTC
- User Interface Freeze : August 25, 2011 at 21:00 UTC
- 11.10 Release Date: October 13, 2011
- UDS-P will be in Orlando, Florida the week of October 31 - Nov 4. Please apply for sponsorship by August 24.
UDS-P information at http://ubuntu-news.org/2011/07/15/ubuntu-developer-summit-sponsorship-now-open-2/
Any Other Business
- to subscribe to the xubuntu-devel mailing list, go to
The governancy part of the current Strategy Document can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu_Governance_.26_Team_Structure
- One weeks left for current review of revision to Strategy Document concerning electing a Project Lead. email sent to both ML for review.
- micahg will set up meeting with derivatives to decide what to do with bug 789333
- charlie-tca to start a release checklist page for Xubuntu
2011-08-14 Meeting Log
The full logs can found in original form at http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/08/14/%23xubuntu-devel.txt
People present (lines said)
- charlie-tca (124)
- madnick (30)
- micahg (22)
- meetingology (11)
- ubottu (6)
- ChristopherNG (5)
- astraljava (2)
22:02:21 <charlie-tca> #startmeeting
22:02:21 <meetingology> Useful Commands: #topic #action #link #idea #voters #vote #chair #action #agreed #help #info #endmeeting.
22:02:37 <charlie-tca> #link The agenda is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings
22:02:46 <charlie-tca> I hope that works, anyway
22:03:16 <charlie-tca> * Old business
22:03:18 <charlie-tca> * Team updates
22:03:20 <charlie-tca> * Packaging & Development
22:03:22 <charlie-tca> * Bug Triage & Testing
22:03:24 <charlie-tca> * Website & Marketing
22:03:26 <charlie-tca> * Artwork
22:03:28 <charlie-tca> * Documentation
22:03:30 <charlie-tca> * Announcements
22:03:32 <charlie-tca> * Governance structure
22:03:34 <charlie-tca> * Any Other Business
22:03:36 <charlie-tca> Reminder: please use ".." on separate line when you've finished typing. If someone wants to comment during the updates, please "o/", so we know to wait.
22:04:03 <charlie-tca> #topic Old business
22:04:03 <meetingology> TOPIC: Old business
22:04:07 <charlie-tca> * GridCube to put together the "TOP 10" for Xubuntu - In-work
22:04:14 <charlie-tca> GridCube: update on this?
22:04:35 <micahg> [15:49] <GridCube> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HyhsMPDyyN-mRWRujfZX3JuKX9aWFQPWsxMEiJX99gQ/edit?hl=es
22:05:15 <charlie-tca> Very nice! Thanks for working on those, GridCube
22:05:23 <charlie-tca> Thank you for the link, micahg
22:05:27 <charlie-tca> * madnick to look into building a lightdm greeter - In-work
22:05:28 <GridCube> ok
22:05:35 <charlie-tca> madnick: update?
22:05:36 <GridCube> i meant, you are welcome
22:05:54 <madnick> Well
22:05:54 <charlie-tca> If you haven't heard yet, today's images are the ones to grab to see how lightdm is working for us
22:06:30 <madnick> Im not sure, because you told me that we should pretty much use the unity greeter
22:06:33 <charlie-tca> We no longer have unity-greeter, but are using lightdm-gtk-greeter today
22:06:47 <ChristopherNG> hello
22:06:52 <charlie-tca> oh, confusion then?
22:06:57 <charlie-tca> hello, ChristopherNG
22:07:21 <madnick> Well, the confusing is, should i modify that
22:07:30 <madnick> Or should I wait for final words
22:07:31 <charlie-tca> madnick: if it is easier to take unity-greeter and rebuild it for us, you can do that. If it is easier to write your own, that is fine too
22:07:54 <charlie-tca> I leave it up to you. I will be happy with either solution.
22:08:08 <charlie-tca> I just don't want a stupid gear to click for sessions
22:08:23 <madnick> Well, I can do either, I just need a good theme, Im working on a draft, but i really like knome or oschi to tell me where they stand on the matter
22:09:08 <madnick> I know knome wanted to center the unity greeters login box
22:09:29 <madnick> And I know you wanted to move / fix the session stuff
22:09:43 <charlie-tca> Okay. That will be fine. Seeing that we just got something to work with, we should be able to get freeze exceptions to get it in, if we really need them.
22:10:12 <madnick> Okay
22:10:14 <madnick> ..
22:10:19 <charlie-tca> What do you think would be best? offset or centered?
22:10:47 <madnick> Im not sure, I like the current style of it
22:10:51 <madnick> The positions*
22:11:13 <micahg> UI freeze is in a week and a half
22:11:14 <charlie-tca> Then you can put them there. We can change it if the users hate it for the next release.
22:11:47 <madnick> Okay, ill set that up in the week that follows
22:11:56 <charlie-tca> Press on, put the list where you like it, but give me a sessions text please.
22:12:42 <charlie-tca> If knome don't like it, well, we can work with him on that. But I think you have a good grasp on it, and will let you build it for this release.
22:13:05 <charlie-tca> Go for it, please
22:13:11 <madnick> okay, thanks
22:13:25 <charlie-tca> Any other comments or questions on old business?
22:13:33 <ChristopherNG> Hello, I hate to say something because im very new here, I was actually at the last meeting but remained silent.
22:13:52 <charlie-tca> go ahead
22:13:57 <ChristopherNG> I would like to confirm if xubuntu has an "add monitor" button like ubuntu and if not will it ever add one?
22:14:17 <charlie-tca> where would it be?
22:14:24 <ChristopherNG> display settings
22:14:33 <ChristopherNG> i see it in ubuntu, never seen it for xubuntu
22:14:43 <charlie-tca> Never seen it, maybe it is something from gnome instead of gtk
22:15:03 <charlie-tca> We will not have one unless Xfce adds one to the settings panel
22:15:35 <charlie-tca> ..
22:15:48 <charlie-tca> #topic === Team updates ===
22:15:48 <meetingology> TOPIC: === Team updates ===
22:16:10 <charlie-tca> #topic ==== Packaging & Development ====
22:16:10 <meetingology> TOPIC: ==== Packaging & Development ====
22:16:23 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: Your turn, please
22:17:14 <charlie-tca> micahg: Got an update?
22:17:31 <micahg> last week we got a few updates from Debian
22:17:43 <micahg> mr_pouit uploaded a new xubuntu settings package
22:18:00 <micahg> we still have a couple of transitions to do (dh_python2 and libssl)
22:18:18 <charlie-tca> We have pastebinit seeded, right?
22:18:24 <micahg> yep
22:18:41 <charlie-tca> and the big questions, a few bugs still to work on:
22:18:44 <micahg> we're at 700MB onthe i386 live ISO ATM
22:18:48 <charlie-tca> Bug #799754 Please let vendors easily provide their own config
22:18:50 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 799754 in lightdm (Ubuntu) "Please let vendors easily provide their own config" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/799754
22:18:55 <charlie-tca> Is this fixed for us now?
22:19:10 <micahg> idk
22:19:22 <charlie-tca> Bug #799514 xubuntu-restricted-extras doesn't contain Java - non-default repository
22:19:24 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 799514 in ubuntu-restricted-extras (Ubuntu) "xubuntu-restricted-extras doesn't contain Java" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/799514
22:19:46 <charlie-tca> java is part of partners now, I don't know if we can add it to the package
22:19:58 <charlie-tca> since partners is not enabled by default
22:20:13 <micahg> so, there are 2 parts, right, adding sun-java is complicated for that reason
22:20:21 <charlie-tca> right
22:20:22 <micahg> openjdk is in there right now though
22:20:27 <charlie-tca> yes
22:20:34 <micahg> Ubuntu can't seed openjdk due to space
22:20:39 <charlie-tca> So we should be able to sign that bug off with that
22:21:17 <charlie-tca> We are close on space again. 386 desktop is now 700mb
22:21:34 <micahg> charlie-tca: well, in theory, I guess we could at least suggest a partner package in xubuntu-restricted-extras, I didn't ask about that specifically
22:22:13 <charlie-tca> If partner is not turned on by default, the user will have to specifically add it or we will get a broken package report, won't we?
22:22:51 <micahg> hmm, I don't think so, on a suggests it for sure won't be a problem, gmusicbrowser suggests a package we dropped from the archive
22:23:01 <charlie-tca> wait, if we provide openjdk, we don't need to provide sun java also
22:23:14 <madnick> \o
22:23:32 <charlie-tca> We give the user one of those, not both
22:23:37 <charlie-tca> go ahead, madnick
22:23:40 <madnick> openjdk cannot really measure with sun-java
22:23:51 <micahg> well, openjdk is already in the restricted-addons package, the question was to actually see it or not, the reporter thought that sun-java made more sense in a restricted addons metapakcage
22:23:59 <micahg> s/see/seed/
22:24:00 <charlie-tca> but it is considered a valid open source replacement
22:24:35 <charlie-tca> micahg: that is wishlist then. I don't think we should seed sun java.
22:24:58 <micahg> no, we wouldn't seed sun-java, we could seed openjdk if we had the space and desire to though
22:25:31 <charlie-tca> Yes, let's get things settled down, and see if that is possible.
22:25:45 <charlie-tca> If we don't get it for Oneiric, that's not a problem, though.
22:26:24 <charlie-tca> and, my last bug:
22:26:26 <charlie-tca> Bug #789333 users-admin crashes on start because of mixed GTK2 and 3 symbols - we are the fix team if we plan to use this for the gui settings.
22:26:28 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 789333 in gnome-system-tools (Ubuntu) "users-admin crashes on start because of mixed GTK2 and 3 symbols" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/789333
22:26:45 <charlie-tca> If we aren't fixing this, we need to remove menu item
22:27:25 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: any comment on this?
22:27:51 <micahg> well, if we can't remove the dependency on the ported to GTK3 libraries, we'd have to drop it in favor of something else (if it exists)
22:27:58 <charlie-tca> yup
22:28:12 <micahg> or upload another copy of the GTK2 versions of those libs
22:28:19 <charlie-tca> If nothing else exists, then users will have to use the CLI
22:29:11 <charlie-tca> Any other comments or questions for Development?
22:29:12 <micahg> mythbuntu, ubuntustudio, and lubuntu are all in the same boat, we should probably have a collective meeting about it
22:29:57 <charlie-tca> Good idea, but that takes you and mr_pouit, right? 22:30:27 * astraljava would probably attend as well
22:30:31 <micahg> + gilir, superm1, scottl
22:30:39 <charlie-tca> oh, and let's not forget, astraljava would like to help with development too
22:31:18 <charlie-tca> Okay, who is going to set that up?
22:32:02 <micahg> hmm, I probably should I guess
22:32:51 <charlie-tca> [ACTION] micahg will set up meeting with derivatives to decide what to do with bug 789333 22:32:51 * meetingology micahg will set up meeting with derivatives to decide what to do with bug 789333
22:32:53 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 789333 in gnome-system-tools (Ubuntu) "users-admin crashes on start because of mixed GTK2 and 3 symbols" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/789333
22:33:13 <charlie-tca> Okay, include astraljava
22:33:44 <charlie-tca> #topic ==== Bug Triage & Testing ====
22:33:44 <meetingology> TOPIC: ==== Bug Triage & Testing ====
22:33:49 <charlie-tca> We got working images!
22:34:05 <charlie-tca> Very hard to test things when we don't get images all week
22:34:16 <charlie-tca> today's images appear to be working fully.
22:34:50 <charlie-tca> Any body that can test these this next week, please do so. We need to find out now what is working and what is broken.
22:35:05 <charlie-tca> madnick: is plymouth ready to add to the images?
22:35:16 <madnick> charlie-tca: yes and no:
22:35:45 <madnick> oschi did not like it 100% knome said he'd think of something, but i have not recvied any word on it
22:35:55 <charlie-tca> okay
22:36:05 <charlie-tca> We got to have that next week
22:36:34 <charlie-tca> I can't throw a new plymouth out for final, and then find out it don't work for most users
22:36:37 <madnick> perhaps we could get people to look into what they think
22:36:52 <madnick> Oh, it works technically
22:36:59 <madnick> Its artistically they dont like it
22:37:18 <madnick> well, "Not like", they wanted to change the progress bar
22:37:34 <charlie-tca> Well, I would lean more to what ochosi thought at this point.
22:37:48 <madnick> Problem is that ochosi is away
22:38:27 <charlie-tca> okay, let's wait for them to do something. If we don't get them to decide, though, it may wind up waiting for the next release.
22:39:00 <madnick> Okay, it be too bad, because its just a little detail
22:39:22 <charlie-tca> yes, but a little detail is holding it up for at least two weeks already, right?
22:39:32 <madnick> Yes, unfortunetly
22:39:50 <charlie-tca> I still can't get it to work here, except for shutdown
22:40:22 <madnick> Well, that is a plymouth problem, in that plymouth application itself, not sure if there is anything to do about that
22:40:54 <madnick> The script I wrote works on all machines that usually get a splash
22:41:25 <madnick> We are several versions behind on plymouth also
22:41:48 <charlie-tca> !info plymouth
22:41:52 <ubottu> plymouth (source: plymouth): graphical boot animation and logger - main package. In component main, is required. Version 0.8.2-2ubuntu23 (natty), package size 110 kB, installed size 476 kB
22:42:10 <charlie-tca> !info plymouth oneiric
22:42:13 <ubottu> plymouth (source: plymouth): graphical boot animation and logger - main package. In component main, is required. Version 0.8.2-2ubuntu25 (oneiric), package size 119 kB, installed size 500 kB
22:42:32 <charlie-tca> Those aren't the latest, huh?
22:42:46 <charlie-tca> 0.8.2
22:43:18 <madnick> Hm
22:43:22 <madnick> Now Im unsure about that
22:43:29 <charlie-tca> Okay, try and get those two artists to give you something. I need this plymouth package ready by the next meeting
22:44:00 <madnick> okay
22:44:01 <charlie-tca> I think ochosi is back Monday, but I am unsure
22:44:50 <charlie-tca> Does anyone besides me find the bug tracker at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Bugs/OneiricOcelot handy?
22:45:05 <charlie-tca> I seem to find myself looking at that daily
22:45:39 <astraljava> Looks handy indeed. Just didn't know about it until now.
22:45:41 <charlie-tca> #topic ==== Website & Marketing ====
22:45:41 <meetingology> TOPIC: ==== Website & Marketing ====
22:45:50 <charlie-tca> pleia2, knome : any update?
22:46:49 <charlie-tca> #topic === Announcements ===
22:46:49 <meetingology> TOPIC: === Announcements ===
22:46:51 <charlie-tca> * The next meeting will be on Sunday, 2011-08-22 at 19:00 UTC
22:46:53 <charlie-tca> * Important dates coming up:
22:46:55 <charlie-tca> * 11.10 FeatureFreeze : In effect as of August 11, 2011 at 21:00 UTC
22:46:57 <charlie-tca> * 11.10 BetaFreeze: Aug 25, 2011 at 21:00 UTC
22:46:59 <charlie-tca> * User Interface Freeze : August 25, 2011 at 21:00 UTC
22:47:01 <charlie-tca> * 11.10 Release Date: October 13, 2011
22:47:03 <charlie-tca> * UDS-P will be in Orlando, Florida the week of October 31 - Nov 4. Please apply for sponsorship by August 24.
22:47:05 <charlie-tca> * UDS-P information at http://ubuntu-news.org/2011/07/15/ubuntu-developer-summit-sponsorship-now-open-2/
22:47:09 <charlie-tca> Thik I covered all the important ones there
22:47:18 <charlie-tca> s/thik/think
22:47:50 <charlie-tca> #topic === Xubuntu Governance ===
22:47:50 <meetingology> TOPIC: === Xubuntu Governance ===
22:47:53 <charlie-tca> === Xubuntu Governance ===
22:48:13 <charlie-tca> * The governancy part of the current Strategy Document can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu_Governance_.26_Team_Structure
22:48:48 <charlie-tca> Since I have gotten a couple of comments/questions concerning the proposed, the review period will run one more week.
22:49:27 <charlie-tca> #topic === Any Other Business ===
22:49:27 <meetingology> TOPIC: === Any Other Business ===
22:49:40 <charlie-tca> anything can be brought up at this time.
22:49:52 <charlie-tca> Are there any comments or questions still out there?
22:50:27 <charlie-tca> I will thank each and every one of you for participating in this meeting.
22:50:39 <charlie-tca> We will meet again right here in one week.
22:50:48 <micahg> err, 8 days
22:50:51 <charlie-tca> anything...
22:51:08 <charlie-tca> um, okay, just over one week
22:51:15 <charlie-tca> lol
22:51:21 <charlie-tca> anything at all?
22:51:33 <charlie-tca> Let's go get something done.
22:51:36 <charlie-tca> #endmeeting