2011-08-22 Meeting Minutes
The agenda is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings
- Charlie to dig for the xscreensaver updates, and put in an SRU - Carried Forward
GridCube to put together the "TOP 10" for Xubuntu - In-work
- madnick to look into building a lightdm greeter - Postponed until LTS
- charlie-tca to start a release checklist page for Xubuntu - Carried Forward
- drop ristretto if it can not do what we need to photos - Carried Forward to LTS
- Consumes too much memory bug has been fixed
Packaging & Development
xubuntu-default-settings was updated to set the default session & greeter for lightdm
- some xubuntu-artwork uploads for the plymouth themes (more to come when madnick and knome are around at the same time)
- mr_pouit fixed the build failure of abiword
- micahg fixed some package conflicts (the gtk themes have been moved from xubuntu-artwork to murrine-themes).
- dropped "de" language packs from i386 daily live to make it fit again in 700M (it wasn't in amd64, only in i386)
- activate the "maybe-ubiquity" option for LTS - Carried Forward
Bug Triage & Testing
The Xubuntu testing daily tracker is at http://2tu.us/3gn1
- Keep the bugs coming in, please
We are tracking the Oneiric bugs at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Bugs/OneiricOcelot
Website & Marketing
- Website draft has been forwarded to IS; now awaiting their decision.
- Possible plugin to wordpress to translate the website actively
- We need to be telling people they can submit articles anytime they want.
- livecd menu logo - knome
- We need someone that can go through the wiki documentation and update it.
- The next meeting will be on Sunday, 2011-08-28 at 22:00 UTC
- Important dates coming up:
11.10 BetaFreeze: Aug 25, 2011 at 21:00 UTC
- User Interface Freeze : August 25, 2011 at 21:00 UTC
- 11.10 Beta1: September 1
- 11.10 Release Date: October 13, 2011
- UDS-P will be in Orlando, Florida the week of October 31 - Nov 4. Please apply for sponsorship by August 24.
UDS-P information at http://ubuntu-news.org/2011/07/15/ubuntu-developer-summit-sponsorship-now-open-2/
Any Other Business
- We should blueprint at least for default applications and have one uds session for default apps
- it would eliminate the time gap we have now deciding what is going to stay and what is going to change
- This could be a single blueprint; specifying goals for Xubuntu for the release cycle
- Beta1 is next week! Let's get a good writeup with all the changes for it, please!
- to subscribe to the xubuntu-devel mailing list, go to
The governancy part of the current Strategy Document can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu_Governance_.26_Team_Structure
- No action items
2011-08-22 Meeting Log
The full logs can found in original form at http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/08/22/%23xubuntu-devel.txt
People present (lines said)
- charlie-tca (187)
- knome (54)
- Olbi (49)
- mr_pouit (35)
- madnick (16)
- xrdodrx (13)
- meetingology (11)
- pleia2 (10)
- astraljava (6)
- ubottu (4)
- Unit193 (2)
- beardygnome (1)
#title #xubuntu-devel Meeting
19:02:01 <charlie-tca> #startmeeting
19:02:01 <meetingology> Useful Commands: #topic #action #link #idea #voters #vote #chair #action #agreed #help #info #endmeeting.
19:02:43 <GridCube> meeting time?
19:02:54 <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] Agenda for today's meeting:
19:02:54 <meetingology> TOPIC: Agenda for today's meeting:
19:02:56 <charlie-tca> * Old business
19:02:58 <charlie-tca> * Team updates
19:03:00 <charlie-tca> * Packaging & Development
19:03:02 <charlie-tca> * Bug Triage & Testing
19:03:04 <charlie-tca> * Website & Marketing
19:03:06 <charlie-tca> * Artwork
19:03:08 <charlie-tca> * Documentation
19:03:10 <charlie-tca> * Announcements
19:03:12 <charlie-tca> * Governance structure
19:03:14 <charlie-tca> * Any Other Business
19:03:16 <charlie-tca> Reminder: please use ".." on separate line when you've finished typing. If someone wants to comment during the updates, please "o/", so we know to wait.
19:03:30 <charlie-tca> The agenda is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings
19:03:32 <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] === Old Business ===
19:03:32 <meetingology> TOPIC: === Old Business ===
19:03:45 <charlie-tca> geany has a delay when trying to use the right click menu
19:04:12 <charlie-tca> GridCube to put together the "TOP 10" for Xubuntu - In-work
19:04:29 <charlie-tca> If anyone has something in particular they think should be in the list, please tell GridCube
19:04:39 <GridCube> hard week
19:04:49 <charlie-tca> so, slow progress?
19:04:50 <GridCube> no progress, hope to get it done this week
19:04:58 <GridCube> ..
19:05:15 <charlie-tca> Thank you, GridCube
19:05:22 <charlie-tca> Your efforts are apreciated!
19:05:25 <charlie-tca> madnick to look into building a lightdm greeter - In-work
19:05:26 <GridCube> oh yes telling me its cool, its hard to see what its important to add
19:05:32 <charlie-tca> madnick: how we doing?
19:05:33 <GridCube> ..
19:05:54 <madnick> Doing OK, the greeter itself works
19:06:07 <madnick> Its not finished, but the problem i have is with --test-mode )
19:06:18 <madnick> But I hope to be done by this week
19:06:20 <charlie-tca> Maybe they broke that mode now?
19:06:38 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: what's the latest date we have to be done by?
19:06:39 <madnick> Maybe, It just twitches and dies and no logs on it
19:06:58 <mr_pouit> UI freeze is on next thursday iirc
19:07:09 <madnick> ..
19:07:22 <charlie-tca> so, we need to get lightdm in by the 25th
19:07:40 <charlie-tca> charlie-tca to start a release checklist page for Xubuntu
19:07:42 <charlie-tca> I forgot
19:07:59 <charlie-tca> will get this going this week
19:08:06 <Olbi> Hello all
19:08:21 <charlie-tca> Hello, Olbi
19:08:25 <GridCube> hello Olbi
19:08:32 <charlie-tca> Welcome to the Xubuntu Community Meeting
19:08:43 <charlie-tca> Any questions on old business?
19:08:49 <charlie-tca> any old business we missed?
19:08:58 <GridCube> not that i recall
19:09:05 <knome> WWII
19:09:16 <GridCube> thats pretty much done
19:09:30 <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] === Team updates ===
19:09:30 <meetingology> TOPIC: === Team updates ===
19:09:32 <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] ==== Packaging & Development ====
19:09:32 <meetingology> TOPIC: ==== Packaging & Development ====
19:09:35 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: ??
19:09:40 <GridCube> o/
19:10:02 <mr_pouit> GridCube: question?
19:10:14 <GridCube> what happened to mousepad and scrot
19:10:15 <GridCube> ?
19:10:26 <mr_pouit> mousepad has been replaced by leafpad
19:10:33 <knome> \o/
19:10:39 <xrdodrx> \o/
19:10:41 <GridCube> oh.. i see. ok.
19:10:44 <charlie-tca> They broke mousepad bad for us
19:10:59 <charlie-tca> ..
19:10:59 <xrdodrx> mousepad doesn't even function properly for me in natty :/
19:11:08 <mr_pouit> (mousepad is supposed to be a better fork of leafpad, but mousepad isn't well maintained currently, and leafpad has some activity upstream, and uses teh gtk+ printing api)
19:11:27 <GridCube> okay
19:11:29 <GridCube> and scrot?
19:11:48 <mr_pouit> was it in the default package set?
19:11:51 <mr_pouit> I don't think so
19:12:06 <GridCube> dunno, in today test install it wasnt there
19:12:48 <charlie-tca> !info scrot
19:12:54 <ubottu> scrot (source: scrot): command line screen capture utility. In component universe, is optional. Version 0.8-13 (natty), package size 15 kB, installed size 72 kB
19:13:05 <charlie-tca> snapshot?
19:13:25 <charlie-tca> screenshot
19:13:41 <charlie-tca> was missing from Accessiories?
19:13:42 <GridCube> the problem is that using print screen key doesnt work if you have the panels locked, so
19:14:08 <GridCube> when you want to screenshot something that hangs the panels., like an error you have to launch it from a terminal
19:14:23 <GridCube> and scrot is faster to write than xfce4-screenshoter
19:15:10 <GridCube> ..
19:15:24 <charlie-tca> oh
19:15:35 <charlie-tca> we have never installed scrot by default
19:16:04 <mr_pouit> GridCube: really? printscreen should call the xfce4-screenshooter binary, not the panel plugin, so it should work afaik
19:16:10 <GridCube> no
19:16:13 <mr_pouit> if it doesn't, please file a bug
19:16:25 <GridCube> no keybinging work if a panel is open
19:16:34 <GridCube> like configuration or something like that
19:16:36 <GridCube> it never did
19:16:39 <mr_pouit> ah, yeah, because it gets the focus
19:17:07 <GridCube> if you launch the start menu, forget about keybindings
19:17:15 <mr_pouit> (and grabs the keyboard, etc. like when a menu is opened)
19:17:21 <GridCube> yes that
19:17:22 <mr_pouit> yeah
19:17:35 <Olbi> maybe shutter? http://shutter-project.org/
19:17:42 <xrdodrx> what is the benefit of locking the panel?
19:17:48 <mr_pouit> I think it's a problem (or call that a design choice) of gtk
19:17:48 <Olbi> is better than scrot :]
19:17:48 <charlie-tca> nah, it just takes installing scrot
19:17:56 <GridCube> and launching scrot is faster, i could xfce4-sc[tab][tab] but is faster to scrot
19:18:15 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: what about seeding scrot? Is it possible?
19:18:22 <GridCube> nevermind i though it was on previous versions
19:18:27 <xrdodrx> GridCube, xfce4-screenshotter is part of default xfce
19:18:31 <xrdodrx> scrot is a command line application
19:18:42 <xrdodrx> i don't think we want to replace something graphical with something command line
19:18:43 <GridCube> i must have installed it back in the day on 10.04
19:18:54 <Olbi> scrt will be very usfell, specially when u are tested livecd
19:19:04 <xrdodrx> especially since new users aren't going to want to open a terminal just to take a screenshot
19:19:08 <mr_pouit> charlie-tca: daily alternate/i386 is already oversized by ~300k, I'd like to avoid that
19:19:15 <charlie-tca> good enough
19:19:21 <Olbi> so for graphical take shutter, and for cmd scrot
19:19:27 <charlie-tca> if a user really wants it, they should install it then
19:19:37 <xrdodrx> ^
19:19:41 <GridCube> no, as i said, i though it was there back on 10.04 but i must have installed it myself
19:19:45 <charlie-tca> It really is a matter of the number of letters needed to run the app
19:19:51 <GridCube> yes
19:19:57 <xrdodrx> GridCube, create an alias
19:20:06 <Olbi> xubuntu is for devel or fo users?:P
19:20:32 <charlie-tca> Xubuntu is for users. We do what is best for the user, almost all the time.
19:20:41 <xrdodrx> echo 'alias sshot="xfce4-screenshotter"' >> ~/.bashrc
19:20:45 <GridCube> :P it would be faster to launch xfce4-screenshoter that create an alias and then launch it, so never mind
19:21:12 <GridCube> ..
19:21:15 <Olbi> maybe script for xfce4-screenshoter ?
19:21:20 <charlie-tca> The point was, whether in live session or installed session, scrot is faster to type the xfce4-screenshooter
19:21:27 <Olbi> which will be called screenshot?
19:21:39 <xrdodrx> but just hitting the prntscrn key brings up xfce4-screenshotter
19:21:44 <charlie-tca> It doesn't matter which one he uses, they both will do the same job for it.
19:21:47 <xrdodrx> this wouldn't work with scrot since scrot is command line
19:22:00 <beardygnome> i came in late so sorry if i'm back tracking here, but are keyboard shortcuts broken in oneric?
19:22:01 <charlie-tca> okay, let's continue with the meeting.
19:22:22 <GridCube> yes please
19:22:22 <charlie-tca> no, you can't use them when a panel app is hung
19:22:34 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: do you have a developer update today?
19:22:39 <mr_pouit> yep
19:22:46 <charlie-tca> floor is your's
19:22:55 <mr_pouit> Okay, so, last week, xubuntu-default-settings was updated to set the default session & greeter for lightdm \o/; some xubuntu-artwork uploads for the plymouth themes (more to come when madnick and knome are around at the same time); I fixed the build failure of abiword, and micahg fixed some package conflicts (the gtk themes have been moved from xubuntu-artwork to murrine-themes).
19:23:25 <mr_pouit> Yesterday I dropped "de" language packs from i386 daily live to make it fit again in 700M (it wasn't in amd64, only in i386 because "we're supposed to have much free space there" :/).
19:23:30 <knome> mr_pouit, what do you need from us?
19:23:37 <mr_pouit> ..
19:23:39 <Olbi> I think abiword isnt good ass default aplication for text writing
19:23:46 <mr_pouit> knome: the 16b theme support :p
19:24:05 <knome> mr_pouit, okay, i've provided the files for madnick
19:24:13 <madnick> except the logo! :P
19:24:16 <knome> hmm?
19:24:23 <knome> wrong..
19:24:33 <Olbi> maybe install by default writer and calc only? they arent so hardly for systems :P
19:24:34 <knome> there you go
19:24:44 <madnick> oh okay
19:24:53 <charlie-tca> Olbi: can it wait until we get to Other?
19:24:58 <Olbi> ok
19:25:03 <Olbi> charlie-tca: ok
19:25:44 <charlie-tca> Thanks, mr_pouit. You guys stay pretty busy, I am glad you are on top of things
19:26:21 <mr_pouit> no, thank you
19:26:25 <charlie-tca> knome, madnick : that is the last thing for lightdm, right?
19:26:25 <mr_pouit> no more questions?
19:26:26 <GridCube> o/
19:26:39 <madnick> charlie-tca: for plymouth
19:26:46 <ubottu> Ubuntu bug 831488 in gnome-control-center (Ubuntu) "gnome-control-center not found on xubuntu oneiric when launching bluetooth device" [Undecided,New]
19:26:48 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: maybe-ubiquity is just the app that takes the cd menu away
19:26:57 <charlie-tca> we still need to update the logo for the menu
19:27:09 <knome> charlie-tca, this was for plymouth. if we have some time, i'd actually want to talk about a few minor issues in lightdm
19:27:12 <charlie-tca> well, doesn't take it away, but hides it from the users
19:27:35 <knome> charlie-tca, the UI freeze is on WED, so we need time until tomorrow noon to make absolutely last minute changes?
19:27:46 <mr_pouit> charlie-tca: yeah, all other variants/derivatives/<whatever you call them> use it, don't they?
19:27:47 <charlie-tca> It gives Ubuntu the "install now" and "try now" menu late in the boot process instead of the cd menu
19:28:10 <charlie-tca> I don't remember if they all use it.
19:28:16 <charlie-tca> You want the menu hidden?
19:28:30 <charlie-tca> I will have it activated if we do want it.
19:28:43 <charlie-tca> Shouldn't take effort here, installer does it all
19:29:13 <charlie-tca> but I still need to get the logo on the menu updated, since pressing a key gives the user the same menu we have
19:29:16 <mr_pouit> I recall it was a bit nicer, but I didn't use an ubuntu/kubuntu iso for a long time ;>
19:29:25 <charlie-tca> Okay
19:29:31 <charlie-tca> I will tell them do it to us
19:29:43 <knome> o/ i'm just having a talk with NCommander on the livecd menu logo
19:29:47 <mr_pouit> okay, if it's too risky, we can delay that for O+1
19:29:48 <charlie-tca> knome: lightdm?
19:29:53 <knome> no, before that
19:30:05 <charlie-tca> yay
19:30:53 <charlie-tca> UI freeze is at August 25, 2011 at 21:00 UTC
19:31:13 <knome> oh, so aug 24 is the last day to submit things?
19:31:34 <charlie-tca> So, Thursday about 1 and a half hours from now
19:31:56 <knome> well, the wiki said last minute updates should be made 1 day earlier
19:31:58 <charlie-tca> Preferred to get things in wednesday, yes
19:32:06 <knome> yeah.
19:32:12 <knome> madnick, do you have some time today?
19:32:20 <madnick> I guess sleep will have to wait until friday :|
19:32:23 <madnick> knome: yes
19:32:30 <knome> madnick, takes maybe 15mins, or at most 30
19:32:36 <charlie-tca> Any questions on development and packaging?
19:32:51 <charlie-tca> knome: you got the logo update handled?
19:33:09 <knome> charlie-tca, i'll try to do that, if at all possible, but i think yes'ish
19:33:16 <charlie-tca> okay
19:33:25 <GridCube> charlie-tca, today's bug?
19:33:27 <charlie-tca> You had some lightdm things to discuss?
19:33:34 <GridCube> isnt for packaging?
19:33:46 <charlie-tca> GridCube: mr_pouit got a handle on that already
19:33:50 <GridCube> oh
19:33:52 <GridCube> okay
19:33:55 <mr_pouit> charlie-tca: knome: thank you for the boot menu and logo "investigations"
19:33:58 <knome> charlie-tca, with madnick, we'll handle those after the meeting, just some final tweaks for the artwork
19:34:04 <knome> mr_pouit, no problem sir
19:34:10 <charlie-tca> Thank you, knome
19:34:12 <knome> mr_pouit, i'll let you do the technical part though
19:34:18 <mr_pouit> eww :p
19:34:23 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: you are most welcome. Glad we finally got one
19:35:06 <charlie-tca> madnick, knome : ubuntustudio might want to discuss lightdm themes too
19:35:20 <charlie-tca> They are trying to figure out how to do what you did!
19:35:36 <knome> charlie-tca, probably better to ask madnick about the code
19:35:57 <charlie-tca> I will tell them, if madnick is okay with that?
19:36:02 <madnick> sure
19:36:34 <charlie-tca> Great! 19:36:34 * astraljava hails charlie-tca re: studio - lightdm
19:36:42 <charlie-tca> yup
19:36:56 <charlie-tca> madnick will be happy to explain what he did
19:37:03 <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] ==== Bug Triage & Testing ====
19:37:03 <meetingology> TOPIC: ==== Bug Triage & Testing ====
19:37:33 <charlie-tca> Testing is slow. We need to get on top of it again. We do have a tracker for daily testing at:
19:37:45 <charlie-tca> http://www.google.com/url?q=http://2tu.us/3dmh&usd=2&usg=ALhdy2__BW8olO1HKH4HdYEcAVhIv6zxCw
19:38:05 <astraljava> Yep, thankfully, work slows down a bit, so I'll have more time for that.
19:38:06 <astraljava> ..
19:39:06 <charlie-tca> http://2tu.us/3gn1
19:39:10 <charlie-tca> That's better
19:40:06 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: Do we need a separate bug report for each application giving us fails with the stuff at https://launchpadlibrarian.net/77809901/Captura%20de%20pantalla%20-%20220811%20-%2012%3A22%3A14.png
19:40:09 <Unit193> I have both images now for today
19:40:29 <charlie-tca> We have several apps failing for the same things not updated?
19:41:02 <Olbi> I will try to help with testing from tomorrow :]
19:41:03 <mr_pouit> charlie-tca: it should be a transient issue
19:41:23 <mr_pouit> I think they were updated tomorrow, so maybe they have not propagated to all mirrors?
19:41:27 <charlie-tca> Okay, more reasons to keep up with the daily testing
19:41:30 <mr_pouit> s/tomorrow/today/
19:41:36 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: I get them from main
19:41:48 <charlie-tca> oh, nm
19:42:18 <charlie-tca> We just have to keep checking to see if they fixed this week
19:42:29 <mr_pouit> e.g. https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/oneiric-changes/2011-August/007395.html
19:42:30 <Olbi> where I can get daily images?
19:42:46 <madnick> !topic
19:42:46 <ubottu> Please read the channel topic whenever you enter, as it contains important information. To view it at any time after joining, simply type /topic
19:42:52 <GridCube> i've done tests today
19:42:54 <charlie-tca> Olbi: http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/
19:43:06 <GridCube> this week i can do a few more, everyday hopefully
19:43:09 <charlie-tca> GridCube: updated the spreadsheet?
19:43:12 <GridCube> yes
19:43:14 <Olbi> charlie-tca: thx very much
19:43:15 <charlie-tca> Thanks
19:43:23 <charlie-tca> Olbi: you are welcome
19:43:29 <charlie-tca> Any other questions for testing?
19:43:47 <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] ==== Website & Marketing ====
19:43:47 <meetingology> TOPIC: ==== Website & Marketing ====
19:44:00 <charlie-tca> pleia2 and knome : your turn please
19:44:04 <pleia2> website is looking good
19:44:08 <pleia2> knome has updates
19:44:12 <knome> charlie-tca, we're forwarding the code to IS today
19:44:15 <charlie-tca> I hear good things!
19:44:18 <knome> charlie-tca, once i get there
19:44:20 <charlie-tca> w00t!
19:44:37 <pleia2> IS will need to do code review for the theme and plugin, hopefully it won't take long
19:44:48 <charlie-tca> hopefully...
19:44:55 <pleia2> once that's done we'll be able to work on the staging server, moving all content over
19:45:14 <charlie-tca> People are expecting more news and information about Xubuntu. Any ideas?
19:45:45 <Olbi> charlie-tca: agree
19:45:48 <knome> try to make the blog more open to new contributors than it is now
19:46:01 <charlie-tca> what blog?
19:46:10 <charlie-tca> the news area?
19:46:13 <knome> well, the xubuntu website "blog"/news
19:46:16 <Olbi> site is good, but it need some local transaltions :]
19:46:20 <knome> yes, as discussed earlier
19:46:29 <knome> pleia2, crap, translations
19:46:34 <knome> pleia2, let's add them later
19:46:34 <charlie-tca> We need to be telling people they can submit articles anytime they want.
19:46:53 <charlie-tca> but we won't ever have everyone entitled to upload, I don't think
19:47:03 <Olbi> maybe news about new programs from xfce mailing lists?
19:47:04 <pleia2> we'll need to talk to someone who knows more about translations, I don't know best practices for this
19:47:16 <charlie-tca> Olbi: any idea how to do the translations?
19:47:35 <Olbi> charlie-tca: thinking
19:47:51 <Olbi> charlie-tca: what framework is used for site?
19:47:55 <pleia2> wordpress
19:48:01 <knome> pleia2, there is a good plugin for WP for translations
19:48:08 <Olbi> knome: good :]
19:48:09 <pleia2> knome: ah, nice
19:48:14 <charlie-tca> Obvious, I guess... ML should have reminders about articles and where to submit them ?
19:48:17 <Olbi> so we are at home
19:48:56 <knome> pleia2, http://wpml.org/
19:49:01 <Olbi> we need testing page for transaltions
19:49:11 <pleia2> the translations bug report is here, so if people have thoughts: https://bugs.launchpad.net/xubuntu-website/+bug/797600
19:49:12 <ubottu> Ubuntu bug 797600 in Xubuntu Website "Impossible to translate the Xubuntu website" [Undecided,Confirmed]
19:49:23 <knome> oh wait, that says "purchase" ? hmm, need to investigate :|
19:49:56 <knome> pleia2, http://wpml.org/purchase/non-profits/ too
19:49:59 <Olbi> xD
19:50:12 <charlie-tca> ..
19:50:23 <charlie-tca> Continuing on then,
19:50:26 <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] ==== Artwork ====
19:50:26 <meetingology> TOPIC: ==== Artwork ====
19:50:34 <charlie-tca> I don't see ochosi back yet.
19:50:40 <charlie-tca> knome: any update?
19:50:47 <knome> about what exactly?
19:50:57 <charlie-tca> do you know what happened to the greybird updates for Oneiric?
19:51:01 <knome> no
19:51:09 <pleia2> knome: can you add the nonprofit link to the bug report so we remember it?
19:51:12 <charlie-tca> There were some being done, but we seem to have lost them
19:51:20 <knome> pleia2, sure
19:51:30 <pleia2> ty
19:51:32 <charlie-tca> When will ochosi be back?
19:51:33 <Olbi> artwork is great, but I think theme from official Ubuntu is so good :]
19:51:56 <knome> charlie-tca, probably tomorrow for a while. he doesn't have a shell right now, but email works
19:52:02 <charlie-tca> okay
19:52:16 <charlie-tca> worries me that we lost those upgrades to greybird
19:52:53 <knome> they are most probably in github anyway
19:52:56 <charlie-tca> Okay, any other questions / comments for website, marketing, artwork?
19:53:15 <Olbi> I saw in some themes that characters are seen after changing
19:53:22 <Olbi> arent
19:53:27 <charlie-tca> right, knome. I think that is where those of us that got them went
19:53:43 <knome> i'll get the livecd menu image changed
19:53:43 <charlie-tca> anything specific, Olbi ?
19:54:15 <Olbi> charlie-tca: I have to check it one more time to say which
19:54:26 <Olbi> charlie-tca: and what
19:54:27 <charlie-tca> file bugs on the themes that it happens in?
19:54:44 <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] === Announcements ===
19:54:44 <meetingology> TOPIC: === Announcements ===
19:55:03 <charlie-tca> * The next meeting will be on Sunday, 2011-08-28 at 22:00 UTC
19:55:05 <charlie-tca> * Important dates coming up:
19:55:07 <charlie-tca> * 11.10 BetaFreeze: Aug 25, 2011 at 21:00 UTC
19:55:09 <charlie-tca> * User Interface Freeze : August 25, 2011 at 21:00 UTC
19:55:11 <charlie-tca> * 11.10 Beta1: September 1
19:55:13 <charlie-tca> * 11.10 Release Date: October 13, 2011
19:55:15 <charlie-tca> * UDS-P will be in Orlando, Florida the week of October 31 - Nov 4. Please apply for sponsorship by August 24.
19:55:17 <charlie-tca> * UDS-P information at http://ubuntu-news.org/2011/07/15/ubuntu-developer-summit-sponsorship-now-open-2/
19:55:19 <charlie-tca> two days left to apply for UDS sponsorship
19:55:41 <charlie-tca> Note the UI freeze and beta1 freeze!
19:55:59 <charlie-tca> [TOPIC] === Any Other Business ===
19:55:59 <meetingology> TOPIC: === Any Other Business ===
19:56:01 <charlie-tca> * Blueprints
19:56:03 <charlie-tca> * We should blueprint at least for default applications
19:56:24 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: I think we should at least blueprint and have one uds session for default apps
19:57:02 <charlie-tca> it would eliminate the time gap we have now deciding what is going to stay and what is going to change
19:58:03 <GridCube> interesting
19:58:08 <Olbi> so when will be official blueprint for 11.10?
19:58:21 <charlie-tca> already
19:58:34 <Olbi> my bad, sorry :P
19:58:35 <charlie-tca> 11.10 will be released in October.
19:58:35 <mr_pouit> if you think so (I'm not sure we've _that_ many apps we want to change, so maybe blueprints are overkill
19:58:42 <astraljava> I'm guessing charlie-tca referred to next devel cycle.
19:59:12 <charlie-tca> Let's think on it, anyway. It would help get us some recognition from the Ubuntu side of things, too.
19:59:14 <GridCube> oh o/
19:59:27 <GridCube> greybird isnt updated
19:59:33 <GridCube> in oeneric
19:59:37 <charlie-tca> right
19:59:54 <charlie-tca> ochosi will be back tomorrow, hopefully, and can push the updates in to mr_pouit
20:00:19 <charlie-tca> Olbi: you wanted to discuss abiword?
20:00:22 <GridCube> he might have to check whats happening whit gtk3
20:00:35 <charlie-tca> This is the time for it
20:00:52 <GridCube> i get warnings from it all the time in oneiric
20:01:00 <knome> afaik, the freybird gtk3 theme is still WIP :|
20:01:01 <mr_pouit> (for thursday, we've got to sort out the plymouth 16bit theme fallback, the lightdm greeter, and the greybird update ;p)
20:01:10 <GridCube> I, for one, support abiword
20:01:18 <knome> plymouth and lightdm are ready today
20:01:43 <charlie-tca> madnick: gonna get a new tar file to mr_pouit today?
20:03:14 * GridCube thinks we shouldnt even pack ristretto
20:03:20 <madnick> charlie-tca: yes
20:03:41 <knome> i don't agree with GridCube. there was a discussion about this earlier, and we decided to keep ristretto.
20:03:45 <madnick> however, since mr_pouit already packaged it, perhaps its better to use send the affected files?
20:03:51 <charlie-tca> ristretto's memory consumption has been fixed now
20:04:07 <GridCube> but it doesnt add up nothing gThumb doesnt do better
20:04:09 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: new complete tar or just the changes?
20:04:22 <GridCube> anyway, thats my opinion
20:04:32 <mr_pouit> madnick: what you prefer
20:04:58 <charlie-tca> Olbi: Why do you think abiword is not good?
20:05:14 <madnick> mr_pouit: okay
20:05:37 <knome> GridCube, there is going to be lots of updates to ristretto soonish, and as it's an "xfce" app, i'd like to prefer it ti gthumb. the improvements won't make it into oneiric, but it's more consistent to keep ristretto for this release too, if we're going to drop gthumb in the next.
20:05:57 <GridCube> okay
20:06:02 <GridCube> i understand that
20:06:16 <knome> good. that was pretty much the only reason to keep ristretto
20:06:18 <charlie-tca> remains to be seen if we want ristretto or gthumb in the lts, I guess
20:06:25 <knome> yes, exactly
20:06:28 <mr_pouit> I've a patch ready to plug some memleaks
20:06:32 <knome> but ristretto should be good
20:06:57 <GridCube> if ristretto could add text yes i would choose it over anyother
20:06:59 <charlie-tca> yes, that ristretto developer worked hard to patch the leaks.
20:07:08 <mr_pouit> (I committed it to the debian packaging, but I haven't uploaded yet)
20:07:12 <charlie-tca> GridCube: put in a wishlist for it?
20:07:30 <GridCube> (if it would actually figure out that im opening a folder whit lots of fimages too, it doesnt do that now on oneric)
20:07:31 <charlie-tca> okay, anything else we need / want to discuss?
20:07:42 <GridCube> not from me
20:07:48 <charlie-tca> mr_pouit: will those patches make oneiric?
20:08:25 <Olbi> sorry for afk
20:08:43 <charlie-tca> Beta1 is next week! Let's get a good writeup with all the changes for it, please!
20:08:44 <mr_pouit> charlie-tca: yeah, I'll try to upload soon
20:08:48 <Olbi> charlie-tca: Abiword isnt so popular
20:08:53 <charlie-tca> why?
20:09:16 <charlie-tca> Abiword has most of the functionality of openoffice / libreoffice writer
20:09:25 <knome> do we want the glowy logo, or the logo with white and blue on the bootmenu (remember the BG is just pure black)
20:09:36 <charlie-tca> It just takes a lot less memory and drive space
20:09:42 <Olbi> in my work when we print in one year we have only 2 documents good that I know format of this word processor
20:10:00 <Olbi> my mates doesnt know that :P
20:10:03 <knome> white+blue is better for 16bit, because there we don't have the possibility to probe for bitdepth
20:10:13 <Olbi> they know only odf formats
20:10:32 <charlie-tca> knome: probable white+blue then?
20:10:35 <GridCube> Olbi, you can choose to save documents in other formats beside abw
20:10:42 <knome> charlie-tca, okay, good
20:10:55 <Olbi> but it isnt 100% compatybility with ODF :
20:11:01 <charlie-tca> You should be able to save as .odf, can't you?
20:11:13 <charlie-tca> oh, and libreoffice is?
20:11:17 <Olbi> i was checking formating 10 times and allways have problems with it
20:11:45 <knome> if you definitely need to have better support for ODF, it's not too hard to install libreoffice from the repositories
20:11:51 <Olbi> especially when trying edit documents from Writer
20:11:57 <charlie-tca> The abiword developers will try to fix those things, if they know about them
20:12:09 <Olbi> but marketing is crap :]
20:13:17 <charlie-tca> marketing is difficult, but that has nothing to do with quality of use
20:13:53 <Olbi> I know that they want better and better, but users prefer app which is more popular and they were teached in school
20:14:01 <charlie-tca> Well, I think we should end the meeting, anyway. We can discuss the pros and cons of abiword outside the meeting
20:14:11 <Olbi> ok, we close taht
20:14:34 <charlie-tca> Um, do they teach anything except microsoft applications in school?
20:14:48 <Olbi> they teach both MS and LO
20:15:11 <charlie-tca> So, a simple "sudo apt-get install libreoffice-writer" should take care of it
20:15:18 <Olbi> no
20:15:23 <charlie-tca> why?
20:15:29 <Olbi> you only take english version of it :]
20:15:38 <charlie-tca> Whether we install it or you install it, it is installed
20:15:52 <Olbi> and others plugins and translates u have to search :]
20:16:05 <Olbi> it isnt like Windows version :]
20:16:11 <charlie-tca> so, if it is installed instead of abiword, it is the same, right?
20:16:45 <charlie-tca> This isn't windows, but if you file bugs, things get fixed. Nothing happens if a bug didn't get filed.
20:17:20 <charlie-tca> Thanks, everybody, for participating in the meeting.
20:17:30 <Olbi> do as you want, staying with abiword doesnt help LO be more popular in schools and houses
20:17:32 <charlie-tca> madnick: astraljava wants to talk about lightdm coding
20:17:52 <charlie-tca> Sorry, we are here to market libreoffice.
20:18:14 <knome> are we?
20:18:17 <knome> /part
20:18:31 <astraljava> Yep, madnick, if you have time, could you skip over to #ubuntustudio-devel, please?
20:18:33 <charlie-tca> That is not for us to do. We would prefer users just use Xubuntu, and if they desire libreoffice, they should install it.
20:18:41 <charlie-tca> yes, knome
20:18:43 <charlie-tca> thanks
20:18:49 <madnick> astraljava: could i please do it after i fix the plymouth theme? it only take a lil bit
20:18:50 <Olbi> we want all less popular of MS programs
20:19:17 <astraljava> madnick: I'm in no hurry. Don't know how falktx has time, but by all means. Thanks!
20:19:28 <charlie-tca> and abiword is not MS. But we are not going to switch applications just to market something else. That is for libreoffice to do, not Xubuntu.
20:19:51 <charlie-tca> #endmeeting