2014-10-21

Differences between revisions 1 and 2
Revision 1 as of 2014-10-21 21:20:50
Size: 21247
Editor: elfy
Comment:
Revision 2 as of 2014-10-21 21:23:03
Size: 3431
Editor: elfy
Comment:
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 85: Line 85:



== Full Log ==


 20:00 <elfy> #startmeeting Xubuntu Community Meeting

 20:00 <meetingology> Meeting started Tue Oct 21 20:00:46 2014 UTC. The chair is elfy. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.

 20:00 <meetingology>

 20:00 <meetingology> Available commands: action commands idea info link nick

 20:01 <xnox> hi

 20:01 <elfy> ok then, lots to get through - who's here now

 20:01 <elfy> hi xnox

 20:01 <xnox> ubiquity no desktop background is due to xsettingsd

 20:01 <xnox> not working, that is it's defunct when ubiquity-dm spawns it

 20:01 <pleia2> o/

 20:01 <jjfrv8-work> o/

 20:01 <slickymaster> o/

 20:02 <xnox> xfwm4 is also complaining about the lack of SESSION_MANAGER and i have no clue know is that suppose to be

 20:02 * xnox looks around and follow the crowd

 20:02 <xnox> o/

 20:02 <pleia2> xnox: it's meeting time :)

 20:02 <dkessel> o/

 20:02 <elfy> #chair pleia2 jjfrv8-work slickymaster

 20:02 <meetingology> Current chairs: elfy jjfrv8-work pleia2 slickymaster

 20:04 <elfy> xnox: not sure if either ochosi or bluesabre are about tbh - they'd be the ones to deal with it - though it's good to know what it is - we were kind of resigned to the black background this late - it not being something really odd for us like debian background

 20:04 * slickymaster appreciates that elfy is giving him some time to finish his dineer

 20:04 <slickymaster> * dinner

 20:05 <knome> o/

 20:05 <elfy> xnox: but if that's the reason - that's good to know

 20:05 <elfy> #chair knome

 20:05 <meetingology> Current chairs: elfy jjfrv8-work knome pleia2 slickymaster

 20:05 <elfy> and hi

 20:05 <elfy> we'd best march on - bit to get through

 20:05 <knome> ola

 20:06 <elfy> #topic Open action items

 20:06 <slickymaster> olá knome

 20:06 <elfy> #ACTION: pleia2 to contact unixstickers

 20:06 * meetingology : pleia2 to contact unixstickers

 20:06 <pleia2> I did that

 20:06 <elfy> I knew that too :)

 20:06 <pleia2> they replied :)

 20:07 <elfy> so we just need to ask and then we'll get them?

 20:07 <pleia2> yep

 20:07 <elfy> cool - so we can mark that one as done :)

 20:07 <pleia2> #DONE pleia2 to contact unixstickers

 20:07 <elfy> like that :p

 20:08 <elfy> #ACTION: knome to write a more formalized proposal about the QA process improvements with elfy after N days of comments/feedback for the pad

 20:08 * meetingology : knome to write a more formalized proposal about the QA process improvements with elfy after N days of comments/feedback for the pad

 20:08 <knome> hrr, i haven't got to that

 20:08 <elfy> well - I know I've not done much on that

 20:08 <knome> i'll try to get to that ASAP

 20:08 <elfy> and I also know there's been little in the way of comment too

 20:08 <knome> just carry on :)

 20:08 <knome> yeah... sadly

 20:08 <knome> but i guess everybody just agress

 20:08 <knome> *agrees

 20:09 <elfy> well

 20:09 <elfy> earlier today : <ochosi> elfy: the QA processes stuff looks a bit bureaucratic to me, considering we're so few people actually following them, but you're the QA lead so I'd think it's up to you to decide how you wanna organise testing

 20:09 * slickymaster agrees

 20:10 <knome> right

 20:10 <elfy> and given that half of it is tied up with making sure that QA and dev get together at cycle start and actually plan things - makes me think we're not going to get far with it

 20:10 <knome> i'll try to make it as little bureaucratic as possible..

 20:10 <knome> though it's a good thing if qa and dev can get togehter at the beginning of the cycle

 20:10 <elfy> the trouble is - this process issue is tied up with a whole bag of strings

 20:11 <elfy> knome: +1 to that

 20:11 <mikodo> hey! I just stumbled into this. What is pad ^

 20:11 <knome> the reason why i'd like to have at least something documented is that then we have at least... something documented

 20:11 <elfy> I'm just concerned that time will drag on and I'll end up with less time to plan

 20:11 <elfy> mikodo: http://pad.ubuntu.com/xubuntu-qa-v-cycle

 20:11 <mikodo> elfy, thx and hie

 20:12 <mikodo> *hi

 20:12 <elfy> knome: yep - anyway I think move this to mailing list now to at least try and get *some* comment

 20:13 <elfy> I can get something to the list by the end of the week if that's the case

 20:14 <knome> elfy, let's work with that on the pad then or sth, we have the same goal anyway

 20:14 <elfy> yea - but we really need -team to be in this as well imho

 20:14 <elfy> it does kind of say that they've got to test if asked :)

 20:15 <elfy> #action xubuntu-qa to continue working with v-cycle qa pad

 20:15 * meetingology xubuntu-qa to continue working with v-cycle qa pad

 20:15 <elfy> #action elfy mail the -devel list to garner comment on pad

 20:15 * meetingology elfy mail the -devel list to garner comment on pad

 20:15 <elfy> knome: does that work for you?

 20:16 <knome> yep

 20:16 <elfy> moving on then

 20:16 <elfy> #ACTION: knome to move the "translations important for xubuntu" list to the processes page, discussion can continue when needed

 20:16 * meetingology : knome to move the "translations important for xubuntu" list to the processes page, discussion can continue when needed

 20:16 <slickymaster> hasn't been done yet

 20:16 <elfy> did you get around to that ?

 20:16 * slickymaster hides

 20:17 <elfy> slickymaster: were you doing that?

 20:17 <slickymaster> no elfy, it was knome who would do it

 20:17 <slickymaster> at least that's what was decided

 20:18 <elfy> I thought so - anyway if it's not done - we can move on I guess

 20:18 <slickymaster> but I can do it, if he doesn't mind

 20:18 <slickymaster> or lacks the time to

 20:18 <elfy> knome: ^^ you can pass the buck if you like :)

 20:19 <knome> i'll do that today.

 20:19 <elfy> ok - thanks knome

 20:19 <knome> np

 20:19 <slickymaster> thanks knome

 20:20 <knome> np again ;)

 20:20 <elfy> there were a couple of -quality actions on the logs from last meeting, neither have been started - not had time this week

 20:21 <elfy> likewise -bugs were going to talk to -qa re a triage plan - even if they'd wanted to I'd not have had time this week :)

 20:21 <elfy> I *think* that's all the open action items

 20:21 <elfy> if anyone thinks differently - speak now or forever hold your peace :)

 20:22 <elfy> moving on then

 20:22 <elfy> # Team updates

 20:23 <elfy> # Topic Team updates

 20:23 <elfy> I mean

 20:23 <pleia2> no space :)

 20:23 <pleia2> #Topic Team updates

 20:23 <elfy> sigh :D

 20:23 <elfy> anyone got anything ?

 20:23 <elfy> other than me :p

 20:24 <pleia2> #info unixstickers has sold plenty of Xubuntu items, so we just need to let them know what we want for the reward based QA program

 20:24 <elfy> thanks :)

 20:25 <pleia2> #info unixstickers will also be producing t-shirts soon, production info here: http://www.unixstickers.com/tshirts/underground-t-shirts/the-ultimate-pirate-bay-tshirt

 20:25 <slickymaster> nothing from me

 20:25 <knome> nope

 20:25 <knome> quiet week

 20:25 <elfy> ok

 20:25 <elfy> #info Image testing has been better for the final image

 20:26 <elfy> #info upgrade tests though only have 1 result from me so ...

 20:26 <pleia2> I did some final iso testing when I was at home, but won't be able to pitch in this week because hotel wifi, etc :\

 20:26 <slickymaster> image testing show a considerable number of test though

 20:27 <elfy> #action Any -team member who can do an Upgrade test of some sort - appreciated - concentrate on the Upgrade rather than Upgrade(image)

 20:27 * meetingology Any -team member who can do an Upgrade test of some sort - appreciated - concentrate on the Upgrade rather than Upgrade(image)

 20:27 <slickymaster> I can do it tomorroe in a VM

 20:27 <slickymaster> * tomorrow

 20:27 <jjfrv8-work> I can do my laptop tonight

 20:27 <elfy> #Action xubuntu-team to watch tracker for respins - if they appear please test what you can

 20:27 * meetingology xubuntu-team to watch tracker for respins - if they appear please test what you can

 20:28 <elfy> #action #xubuntu-qa to ping team in channel if they see respins appear

 20:28 * meetingology #xubuntu-qa to ping team in channel if they see respins appear

 20:28 <elfy> nothing else from me

 20:28 <knome> xubuntu-qa without # :P

 20:28 <knome> #nick xubuntu-qa

 20:28 <elfy> #undo

 20:28 <meetingology> Removing item from minutes: ACTION

 20:28 <elfy> #action xubuntu-qa to ping team in channel if they see respins appear

 20:28 * meetingology xubuntu-qa to ping team in channel if they see respins appear

 20:29 <elfy> #topic Discussion

 20:29 <pleia2> happy release week :D

 20:29 <elfy> #subtopic Xubuntu+1 support in #xubuntu

 20:30 <elfy> I've got a comment from ochosi earlier re that

 20:30 <elfy> <ochosi> elfy: i kinda second the xubuntu+1 support proposal

 20:30 <elfy> <ochosi> we can say we accept that after final beta, makes sense to me

 20:31 <elfy> the thinking here from me at least is that - we're trying to improve testing and #ubuntu+1 is a bit xubuntu light

 20:31 <elfy> and if we are pushing we ought to at least give people the chance to get some help

 20:33 <dkessel> Sounds food. Better than sending people to #ubuntu+1 and having them get no support there

 20:33 <elfy> yea

 20:33 <knome> dkessel, FOOD?

 20:33 <knome> is the traffic too high in -devel to send the people here?

 20:33 <elfy> freudian slip - or it would be if I said it

 20:33 <slickymaster> and I'm the one eating :)

 20:34 <dkessel> good I meant. Boo, autocomplete...

 20:34 <pleia2> hehe

 20:34 <elfy> knome: <ochosi> better than getting people in the devel channel imo

 20:34 <knome> oh ;)

 20:34 <knome> dkessel, you have "food" in autocomplete?

 20:35 <slickymaster> lmao

 20:35 <elfy> but tbh I'm quite relaxed about where - just so long as it's a #xubuntu channel

 20:35 <knome> #xubuntu+1 works, but then we should know how's going to op that channel

 20:35 <dkessel> knome: Ask the Android dictionary makers...

 20:36 <elfy> knome: oh

 20:36 <slickymaster> I propose knome and elfy to op it

 20:36 <elfy> didn't know we had that

 20:36 <slickymaster> and Unit193, also

 20:36 <elfy> unless we didn't ...

 20:36 <knome> elfy, we don't, but if we set that up...

 20:37 <elfy> oh right :)

 20:37 <knome> and we'll have to see if the irc team wants to take the maintaining responsibility for that

 20:37 <elfy> mmm

 20:37 <knome> or if it's just like -devel (more probable)

 20:38 <knome> i can take care of that with Unit193 if we decide to go ahead with that

 20:38 <elfy> so how about going with #xubuntu towards the end of the V cycle

 20:38 <elfy> trouble with having a new channel is it's likely not to see many people who can actually help

 20:38 <elfy> probably

 20:38 <knome> well,

 20:38 <knome> that's my argument for -devel or the general ubuntu+1 channel

 20:39 <elfy> the only reason the likes of *most of us* don't in #xubuntu is because it's nto channel policy

 20:39 <elfy> which I ignore if it's something simple or quick ;)

 20:39 <knome> people who'd be helping in #xubuntu+1 is probably the same people as here or #ubuntu+1

 20:39 <elfy> holstein for instance commented

 20:40 <knome> (and it's one more channel)

 20:40 <elfy> knome: yea possibly - but I'm more likely to notice someone saying something in #xubuntufoo

 20:40 <knome> that's true

 20:40 <knome> but -devel

 20:40 <knome> i understand it's not the ideal solution either

 20:40 <knome> maybe we should simply vote?

 20:41 <elfy> on which :)

 20:41 <elfy> or both?

 20:41 <knome> well, all options

 20:41 <knome> can be even a non-technical vote

 20:41 <knome> just say what you think is the best option

 20:41 <slickymaster> you mean vote on the ML?

 20:41 <knome> no, in irc, right now

 20:41 <elfy> I'd start here

 20:42 <knome> let's not make it too bureaucratic

 20:42 <knome> just shout out which channel you'd like

 20:42 <knome> (no need to start a #vote even)

 20:42 <elfy> ok - I'll start then

 20:42 <knome> sure

 20:42 <knome> i'm still thinking

 20:42 * slickymaster waits his turn

 20:44 <elfy> vote for support in #xubuntu channel for dev version once Beta 1 is testing

 20:44 <pleia2> +1

 20:44 <jjfrv8-work> +0

 20:44 * slickymaster votes for support in a yet to be created #xubuntu+1 channel

 20:45 <knome> #xubuntu-devel for x+1 support after beta1 is out; second favorite #x+1

 20:45 <pleia2> more channels make me meh, and people end up lurking in -devel and asking support questions once we open that up

 20:45 <knome> pleia2, that's fair, but mixing people who whine about each small feature breaking and very clueless people in #x...

 20:46 <pleia2> sounds perfect :D

 20:46 <knome> sounds like more frustration for both the supporters and people seeking help

 20:46 <knome> i can live with that

 20:46 <elfy> awesome

 20:46 <pleia2> I worry that we'll just spend half our time redirecting people to the right channel

 20:46 <knome> but i'll tell you it'll be hard to police that "after beta 1 is out" rule

 20:47 <pleia2> apparently even -devel vs support is hard for a lot of folks ;P

 20:47 <knome> pleia2, that hasn't been a problem so far

 20:47 <elfy> so we've got half a dozen different ideas and still no further forward

 20:47 <pleia2> elfy: yeah, how's that beer?

 20:47 <elfy> cold :)

 20:48 <knome> i'd just go with elfy's suggestion if ochosi wasn't +1 on +1

 20:48 <elfy> ok - so it's now 21:47 here - executive decision is now that

 20:48 <pleia2> we could just try out one suggestion and see how it goes

 20:48 <pleia2> thanks elfy

 20:49 <elfy> #action Elfy to mail -devel re where we support testers

 20:49 * meetingology Elfy to mail -devel re where we support testers

 20:49 <knome> let's go with +1 support on #xubuntu agter beta then

 20:49 <knome> elfy, well that's different

 20:49 <knome> testers should be supported in -devel

 20:49 <elfy> good lord

 20:49 <knome> people who just install +1 and ask a support question not :P

 20:50 <elfy> mmmm

 20:50 <knome> i'm sorry for nitpicking :P

 20:50 <elfy> that's a matter of semantics

 20:50 <knome> but the difference is that testers are useful for us

 20:50 <elfy> someone running +1 IS testing ;)

 20:50 <ali1234> how can you tell the difference?

 20:50 <knome> then we should support them here and make them report tests.

 20:50 <knome> ali1234, see if they've submitted iso/package testing results.

 20:50 <elfy> ali1234: I guess we can see if reports are being made

 20:50 <elfy> yea

 20:50 <ali1234> i never do that

 20:51 <knome> ali1234, shame on you.

 20:51 <knome> ali1234, you should.

 20:51 <ali1234> i don't even understand how it is useful

 20:51 <ali1234> reports go there to die

 20:51 <knome> ali1234, i'll PM you

 20:51 * elfy will still mail the list

 20:52 <elfy> #subtopic Decide on Trello or Launchpad

 20:52 <elfy> so

 20:52 <elfy> I've not got the energy to even go here tbh - I really don't care what we do

 20:52 <knome> i still don't mind which one we use, as long as we only use one

 20:53 <knome> i'm leaning towards launchpad because it has the real-time bug status synergy.

 20:53 <pleia2> I don't look at trello much, it's just not in my workflow :(

 20:53 <pleia2> launchpad emails me <3

 20:53 <elfy> both mail me pleia2 ;)

 20:53 <pleia2> and launchpad is open source :D

 20:54 <elfy> anyway - I'm happy to do whatever we decide as a team

 20:54 <elfy> last cycle website was on a blueprint - from what I can see , that's not made it to anything this cycle

 20:55 <elfy> any point in doing anything like a vote with this?

 20:55 <pleia2> oops :(

 20:56 <knome> i think that and the situation with testing just reflects how much away people have been this cycle

 20:57 <elfy> I'm quite happy to just go back to using launchpad

 20:57 <knome> anybody disagrees?

 20:57 <jjfrv8-work> nah

 20:57 <pleia2> I've been away more than normal

 20:58 <knome> same here; in comparison to the trusty cycle, much more

 20:59 <elfy> I do know that ochosi will be wanting team leads to do their own blueprints

 20:59 <elfy> which is fair enough

 20:59 <knome> absolutely.

 20:59 <knome> they are the only ones who know what the goals for the cycle are anyway

 20:59 <elfy> yep

 20:59 <knome> and/or are laying them out

 21:00 <knome> if nobody disagrees to returning to LP, let's move on

 21:00 <knome> somebody wants to send an email to the list, or just 3info it?

 21:00 <elfy> the other 2 discussion items we've dealt with afaik

 21:00 <knome> . #info too..

 21:01 <elfy> #info return to using launchpad, team leads to set out their blueprints

 21:01 <knome> #info Trello can be used by subteams if they feel it's useful for them, but all general cooperation should go through LP

 21:02 <knome> ok, let's move on

 21:02 <elfy> #announcements

 21:02 <elfy> Release in 2 days \o/

 21:02 <knome> yep, and no critical bugs :)

 21:02 <elfy> anyone got any others

 21:02 <elfy> indeed :)

 21:02 <knome> good work everybody who did even a small bit

 21:03 <slickymaster> ^^^

 21:03 <elfy> #Schedule next meeting

 21:03 <elfy> ochosi is up next for that

 21:03 <elfy> #endmeeting

Meeting information

Meeting summary

Open action items

The discussion about "Open action items" started at 20:06.

  • ACTION: : pleia2 to contact unixstickers

  • ACTION: pleia2 to contact unixstickers

  • ACTION: : knome to write a more formalized proposal about the QA process improvements with elfy after N days of comments/feedback for the pad

  • ACTION: xubuntu-qa to continue working with v-cycle qa pad

  • ACTION: elfy mail the -devel list to garner comment on pad

  • ACTION: : knome to move the "translations important for xubuntu" list to the processes page, discussion can continue when needed

Team updates

The discussion about "Team updates" started at 20:23.

  • unixstickers has sold plenty of Xubuntu items, so we just need to let them know what we want for the reward based QA program
  • unixstickers will also be producing t-shirts soon, production info here: http://www.unixstickers.com/tshirts/underground-t-shirts/the-ultimate-pirate-bay-tshirt

  • Image testing has been better for the final image
  • upgrade tests though only have 1 result from me so ...
  • ACTION: Any -team member who can do an Upgrade test of some sort - appreciated - concentrate on the Upgrade rather than Upgrade(image)

  • ACTION: xubuntu-team to watch tracker for respins - if they appear please test what you can

  • ACTION: xubuntu-qa to ping team in channel if they see respins appear

Discussion

The discussion about "Discussion" started at 20:29.

  • Xubuntu+1 support in #xubuntu (20:29)

    • ACTION: Elfy to mail -devel re where we support testers

  • Decide on Trello or Launchpad (20:52)

    • return to using launchpad, team leads to set out their blueprints
    • Trello can be used by subteams if they feel it's useful for them, but all general cooperation should go through LP

Vote results

Action items, by person

  • elfy
    • : knome to write a more formalized proposal about the QA process improvements with elfy after N days of comments/feedback for the pad
    • elfy mail the -devel list to garner comment on pad
  • knome
    • : knome to write a more formalized proposal about the QA process improvements with elfy after N days of comments/feedback for the pad
    • : knome to move the "translations important for xubuntu" list to the processes page, discussion can continue when needed
  • pleia2
    • : pleia2 to contact unixstickers
  • xubuntu-qa
    • xubuntu-qa to continue working with v-cycle qa pad
    • xubuntu-qa to ping team in channel if they see respins appear
  • **UNASSIGNED**
    • Any -team member who can do an Upgrade test of some sort - appreciated - concentrate on the Upgrade rather than Upgrade(image)
    • xubuntu-team to watch tracker for respins - if they appear please test what you can
    • Elfy to mail -devel re where we support testers

Done items

  • pleia2 to contact unixstickers

People present (lines said)

  • elfy (120)
  • knome (80)
  • pleia2 (26)
  • slickymaster (24)
  • meetingology (16)
  • xnox (6)
  • jjfrv8-work (4)
  • ali1234 (4)
  • dkessel (4)
  • mikodo (3)
  • xubuntu-qa (0)

Xubuntu/Meetings/Archive/Minutes/2014-10-21 (last edited 2014-10-21 21:23:03 by elfy)