Ubuntu GNOME 16.10 (codename "Yakkety Yak") will be released [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseSchedule | October 13, 2016. We are proud to offer this first beta to encourage testing to ensure the final release is as good as possible.
Getting Ubuntu GNOME 16.10 Beta 1
Download a Disk Image
Instructions for burning the image to a DVD or USB flash drive can be found on the Burning ISO Howto.
Check MD5SUM for the downloaded ISO
Beta 1 Highlights
Ubuntu GNOME 16.10 proudly includes GNOME 3.20. Read the official 3.20 release notes to see what's new.
- Select apps have been updated to their 3.21.90 (GNOME 3.22 Beta 1) versions.
- GNOME's Initial Setup utility is included and enabled. It offers an easy way to configure language and online accounts integration on first login.
- The instant messaging app Empathy is no longer installed by default for new installs but it is still available for install.
- The new Characters character map utility is installed by default. If you prefer the older version, install gucharmap.
- The Experimental wayland session is included. If your computer supports open source graphics drivers, elect "GNOME on Wayland" from the gear menu below the password entry from on the login screen.
- Firefox scroll bars are invisible. This will be fixed once Firefox 48 is published to the regular yakkety archives.
There are significant graphical issues with LibreOffice that will be fixed once LibreOffice 5.2 is published to the regular yakkety archives. As a workaround, you can uninstall gir1.2-lokdocview-0.1 and libreoffice-gtk3 but you'll want to re-install them once LibreOffice 5.2 is available for the Documents app to have full functionality.
Apps that use WebKit2 will have slow performance on systems using Intel graphics.
Initial Setup utility should not show up in iso live environment (1614778)
- Initial Setup utility requires logging out and logging back in after selecting a keyboard layout. Alternatively, you can manually click your new chosen keyboard layout in the top bar.
Initial Setup utility does not include language chooser (1614816)
Systems using NVIDIA proprietary driver on hybrid (prime) systems might fail to boot (1559576)
Development of Ubuntu GNOME Yakkety Yak (16.10) is ongoing and bugs are fixed every day. Before reporting bugs, please ensure your system is up to date and you're installing the latest build. For verifying installation related bugs, updated disk images are available from Daily bootable images for standard PCs/laptops/netbooks.
Testing Ubuntu GNOME