seed release notes, with a few changes to make it correct for a beta release for a change
no xubuntu, no mythbuntu
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 23:||Line 23:|
|http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/16.10/beta-2/ (Less Popular Ubuntu Images) <<BR>||http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/16.10/beta-2/ (Less Popular Ubuntu Images) <<BR>>|
|Line 33:||Line 33:|
|http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/16.10/beta-2/ (Xubuntu) <<BR>>||##http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/16.10/beta-2/ (Xubuntu) <<BR>>|
|Line 60:||Line 60:|
|* The '''gpg''' binary is now provided by [[https://debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/116|gnupg2]].|
|Line 62:||Line 63:|
| * '''!LibreOffice 5.2''' is included. Ubuntu now uses the [[https://caolanm.blogspot.com/2016/02/native-gtk3-menubar-in-libreoffice.html|GTK3]] version by default.
* Update Manager now shows changelog entries for '''PPAs''' too (Bug:253119).
* Apps provided by GNOME have been updated to at least '''3.20'''. Many apps have been updated to '''3.22''' also.
* The '''Nautilus''' file browser has been updated to 3.20.
* '''systemd''' is now used for [[https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2016-July/039465.html|user sessions]]. System sessions had already been provided by systemd in previous Ubuntu releases.
|Line 70:||Line 76:|
* Booting the CD on UEFI hardware may fail to complete, only showing a blank screen. This is caused by an issue with the UEFI Shim and has been reported to fail on Thinkpad laptops as well as in QEMU virtual machines. Other devices may also be affected. [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shim/+bug/1624096|Bug 1624096]]
|Line 90:||Line 98:|
|* Mythbuntu [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/Beta2/Mythbuntu]]||## * Mythbuntu [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/Beta2/Mythbuntu]]|
|Line 95:||Line 103:|
|* Xubuntu [[https://xubuntu.org/news/xubuntu-16-10-beta-2]]||## * Xubuntu [[https://xubuntu.org/news/xubuntu-16-10-beta-2]]|
Table of Contents
These release notes for Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) provide an overview of the release and document the known issues with Ubuntu 16.10 and its flavors.
Official flavour release notes
Find the links to release notes for official flavors here.
Get Ubuntu 16.10
Download Ubuntu 16.10
Images can be downloaded from a location near you.
You can download ISOs and flashable images from from:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.10/ (Ubuntu Desktop and Server)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/16.10/beta-2/ (Less Popular Ubuntu Images)
http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/releases/16.10/beta-2/ (Ubuntu Cloud Server)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/16.10/ (Ubuntu Netboot)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/16.10/beta-2/ (Ubuntu Studio)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/16.10/beta-2/ (Ubuntu GNOME)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntukylin/releases/16.10/beta-2/ (Ubuntu Kylin)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/16.10/beta-2/ (Ubuntu MATE)
Upgrading from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
To upgrade on a desktop system:
Open the "Software & Updates" Setting in System Settings.
- Select the 3rd Tab called "Updates".
- Set the "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" dropdown menu to "For any new version".
- Press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box.
- Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '16.10' is available.
- Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
To upgrade on a server system:
Install the update-manager-core package if it is not already installed.
- Make sure the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades is set to normal.
Launch the upgrade tool with the command sudo do-release-upgrade -d.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Note that the server upgrade will use GNU screen and automatically re-attach in case of dropped connection problems.
There are no offline upgrade options for Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server. Please ensure you have network connectivity to one of the official mirrors or to a locally accessible mirror and follow the instructions above.
New features in 16.10
The gpg binary is now provided by gnupg2.
LibreOffice 5.2 is included. Ubuntu now uses the GTK3 version by default.
Update Manager now shows changelog entries for PPAs too (253119).
Apps provided by GNOME have been updated to at least 3.20. Many apps have been updated to 3.22 also.
The Nautilus file browser has been updated to 3.20.
systemd is now used for user sessions. System sessions had already been provided by systemd in previous Ubuntu releases.
As is to be expected, with any release, there are some significant known bugs that users may run into with this release of Ubuntu 16.10. The ones we know about at this point (and some of the workarounds), are documented here so you don't need to spend time reporting these bugs again:
Boot, installation and post-install
Booting the CD on UEFI hardware may fail to complete, only showing a blank screen. This is caused by an issue with the UEFI Shim and has been reported to fail on Thinkpad laptops as well as in QEMU virtual machines. Other devices may also be affected. Bug 1624096
The release notes for the official flavours can be found at the following links:
Ubuntu GNOME https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/Beta2/UbuntuGNOME
Ubuntu Kylin https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/Beta2/UbuntuKylin
Your comments, bug reports, patches and suggestions will help fix bugs and improve the quality of future releases. Please report bugs using the tools provided.
If you want to help out with bugs, the Bug Squad is always looking for help.
Participate in Ubuntu
If you would like to help shape Ubuntu, take a look at the list of ways you can participate at
More about Ubuntu
To sign up for future Ubuntu development announcements, please subscribe to Ubuntu's development announcement list at: