20170425

Meeting Info

Meetings are held every 4th Tuesday of each month at 20:30 SAST (UTC+2) and are pretty informal. Anyone is free to join in and give comments and suggestions, its even encouraged. Please introduce yourself to the bot at the start of the meeting so he can take note of all members present as follows:

Maaz: I am NAME SURNAME

Agenda

Summary

Minutes
=======

[18:30:35] STARTED (chesedo)
[18:30:44] TOPIC: Welcoming and Introduction (chesedo)
[18:32:38] AGREED: All happy with agenda (chesedo)
[18:32:46] TOPIC: Review minutes of previous meeting (chesedo)
[18:34:28] AGREED: All happy with previous minutes (chesedo)
[18:34:37] TOPIC: Next Steps (chesedo)
[18:36:11] AGREED: No new Next Steps (chesedo)
[18:36:19] TOPIC: Events (chesedo)
[18:40:55] AGREED: No other events to add (chesedo)
[18:41:08] TOPIC: Miscellaneous (chesedo)
[18:42:32] AGREED: To sent a weekly list email with aggregated events (chesedo)
[18:53:34] AGREED: chesedo do follow up with inetpro for Ubuntu for Hope / school Pcs (chesedo)
[18:53:46] TOPIC: Next meeting (chesedo)
[18:55:12] AGREED: Next meeting is 26 April 2017 & 10 May 2017 @ 20:30 (chesedo)
[18:55:12] AGREED: Next meeting is 23 May 2017 @ 20:30 (chesedo)
[18:55:22] TOPIC: Elect chairperson for next meeting (chesedo)
[19:01:38] AGREED: theblazehen to chair next meeting (chesedo)
[19:03:23] ENDED (chesedo)

Present
=======

* Kyle Robbertze (paddatrapper)
* Langjan
* Paul Romano (londoner)
* Gavin Bauer (Cryterion)
* Greg Eames (magespawn)
* Pieter Engelbrecht (chesedo)
* Miles Sharpe (Kilos)
* Gustav H Meyer (inetpro)
* theblazehen
* MaNI

Raw Log
=======

[18:30:35] <chesedo> Maaz: start meeting about Ubuntu Monthly Meeting - April 2017
[18:30:35] * Maaz gets out his memo-pad and cracks his knuckles
[18:30:44] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Welcoming and Introduction 
[18:30:44] <Maaz> Current Topic: Welcoming and Introduction
[18:30:44] <chesedo> Welcome all and thanks for joining in on our monthly meeting
[18:30:45] <inetpro> Maaz: I am Gustav H Meyer
[18:30:45] <Maaz> inetpro: Done
[18:30:54] <Kilos> Maaz i am Miles Sharpe
[18:30:54] <Maaz> Kilos: Righto
[18:30:56] <theblazehen> Maaz:Â I am Jeandre Le Roux
[18:30:56] <Maaz> theblazehen: What?
[18:30:56] <chesedo> Our bot maaz does the minutes as usual so please introduce yourself to it using `Maaz: I am <firstname lastname>` eg. 
[18:30:56] <chesedo> Maaz: I am Pieter Engelbrecht
[18:30:56] <Maaz> chesedo: Righto
[18:30:57] <Cryterion> you 4 minutes early :)
[18:31:06] <Cryterion> Maaz: I am Gavin Bauer
[18:31:06] <Maaz> Cryterion: Done
[18:31:14] <theblazehen> Maaz:Â I am Jeandre Le_Roux
[18:31:14] <Maaz> theblazehen: What?
[18:31:15] <Kilos> 8.31
[18:31:17] <chesedo> The agenda for today is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZATeam/Meetings/20170425
[18:31:17] <chesedo> Any last minute addition are welcome
[18:31:20] <inetpro> Cryterion: no, he's right on time
[18:31:26] <londoner> Maaz: I am Paul Romano
[18:31:26] <Maaz> londoner: Righto
[18:31:38] * chesedo thought he was 35 secs late
[18:31:45] <Kilos> lol
[18:31:46] <Cryterion> ok, clocks slow then :)
[18:32:04] <chesedo> Cryterion: give it redBull :P
[18:32:10] <Cryterion> lol
[18:32:29] <inetpro> set your clock to NTP Cryterion
[18:32:38] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed All happy with agenda
[18:32:38] <Maaz> Agreed: All happy with agenda
[18:32:46] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Review minutes of previous meeting 
[18:32:46] <Maaz> Current Topic: Review minutes of previous meeting
[18:32:52] <inetpro> I mean to a NTPd server
[18:32:53] <chesedo> previous meeting minutes is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZATeam/Meetings/20170328
[18:32:53] <chesedo> A read of it might be a nice refresher
[18:33:09] <Cryterion> I'll look into it later inetpro
[18:33:34] <chesedo> it is weird as i thought linux auto uses ntp years ago...
[18:34:28] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed All happy with previous minutes
[18:34:28] <Maaz> Agreed: All happy with previous minutes
[18:34:37] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Next Steps
[18:34:37] <Maaz> Current Topic: Next Steps
[18:34:44] <chesedo> Anyone needing help on any next steps activities?
[18:35:24] <chesedo> ie. with coc,  ubuntu membership, launchpad, mailing list or trello
[18:35:40] <Cryterion> All done
[18:36:11] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed No new Next Steps
[18:36:11] <Maaz> Agreed: No new Next Steps
[18:36:19] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Events 
[18:36:19] <Maaz> Current Topic: Events
[18:36:27] <chesedo> - ES2017: The Reality: 3 May 2017 (Cape Town) -> https://www.meetup.com/cape-town-js/events/239181272/
[18:36:27] <chesedo> these are the upcoming events:
[18:36:27] <chesedo> - Typescript on the Backend: 26 April 2017 (Cape Town) -> https://www.meetup.com/Cape-Town-Backend-Developers/events/239100785/
[18:36:27] <chesedo> - Google I/O Extended '17: 17 May 2017 (Johannesburg) -> https://www.meetup.com/GDGJohannesburg/events/238958547/
[18:36:46] 
[18:36:51] <chesedo> for any 4th plus year students, this event might be of interest:
[18:36:51] <chesedo> - Deep Learning Indaba: 11-15 September 2017 (Johannesburg) -> http://www.deeplearningindaba.com/
[18:36:52] <Cryterion> We need more in the Durban are
[18:37:00] <Kilos> hi magespawn 
[18:37:06] <chesedo> Cryterion: sure do...
[18:37:06] <Cryterion> area*
[18:37:07] <magespawn> good evening
[18:37:10] <magespawn> hi Kilos 
[18:37:11] <chesedo> hi magespawn
[18:37:19] <Cryterion> hi magespawn
[18:37:21] <magespawn> hey chesedo
[18:37:24] <chesedo> paddatrapper: which are you completing?
[18:37:28] <magespawn> hi Cryterion 
[18:37:32] <chesedo> s/are/year/
[18:37:41] <Kilos> magespawn login with maaz please
[18:37:54] <chesedo> magespawn: you joining the meeting?
[18:37:57] <magespawn> Hi Maaz, I am Greg Eames
[18:38:06] <Kilos> lol
[18:38:16] <magespawn> even forgot how to log in.
[18:38:16] <Kilos>    maaz  first
[18:38:16] <Maaz> Kilos: Sorry...
[18:38:21] <chesedo> magespawn: try 'Maaz: I am <firstname lastname>'
[18:38:27] <magespawn> Maaz I am Greg Eames
[18:38:27] <Maaz> magespawn: Alrighty
[18:38:43] <chesedo> Is anyone organising anything else or knows of any other upcoming events?
[18:38:50] <chesedo> Cryterion: ^ :P
[18:38:53] <magespawn> Been awhile
[18:39:12] <chesedo> magespawn: sure has...
[18:39:46] <chesedo> magespawn: i have just gone over the ubuntu membership section, if you wanted to add anything about yours?
[18:40:13] <magespawn> Nothing, except that I have not done anything about it yet
[18:40:32] <magespawn> life has been a bit hectic.
[18:40:45] <chesedo> magespawn: np
[18:40:55] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed No other events to add
[18:40:55] <Maaz> Agreed: No other events to add
[18:41:08] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Miscellaneous 
[18:41:08] <Maaz> Current Topic: Miscellaneous
[18:41:15] <chesedo> so i am wondering if it might not be a good idea to email the list weekly about them?
[18:41:15] <chesedo> new events appeared on the slack channel for April after the last meeting...
[18:41:51] <chesedo> about 5 or so was missed
[18:41:55] <Kilos> just do it
[18:42:29] <Kilos> all ideas are good till someone has a better one
[18:42:32] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed To sent a weekly list email with aggregated events
[18:42:32] <Maaz> Agreed: To sent a weekly list email with aggregated events
[18:42:40] <chesedo> Kilos: ty
[18:42:52] <chesedo> Has anyone upgraded to 17.04?
[18:43:02] <Cryterion> that'll help I think, mailing list has been quiet latel
[18:43:06] * theblazehen has
[18:43:14] <theblazehen> Well, not upgraded. New install
[18:43:16] <magespawn> Not yet, I here there are some issues with the software installer
[18:43:17] <paddatrapper> Maaz: I am Kyle Robbertze 
[18:43:17] <Maaz> paddatrapper: Done
[18:43:23] <magespawn> here=hear
[18:43:37] 
[18:43:43] <chesedo> theblazehen: your experience?
[18:43:48] <Kilos> hi oom jan
[18:43:50] <chesedo> theblazehen: and flavour?
[18:44:01] <Kilos> login to the meeting 
[18:44:03] <chesedo> wb paddatrapper
[18:44:06] <inetpro> chesedo: don't remind me, I still need to do some upgrades from 12.04
[18:44:09] <Langjan> Hello everybody, hi Kilos hoe gaan dit?
[18:44:23] <chesedo> inetpro: lol
[18:44:26] <Kilos> ok ty meeting underway
[18:44:34] <Kilos> i actually made it
[18:44:45] <theblazehen> chesedo:Â Running ubuntu server on server (obviously), then installed kde on laptop and just a WM on desktop. Pretty decent
[18:45:14] <Langjan> Oh ok will chat again tomorrow 
[18:45:19] <chesedo> theblazehen: anything new you may have noticed?
[18:45:20] <magespawn> theblazehen: a friend said that the package installer apt had issues
[18:45:31] <Kilos> why Langjan 
[18:45:36] <theblazehen> chesedo:Â Nothing too special
[18:45:45] <chesedo> theblazehen: ok
[18:45:51] <Kilos> Langjan pm
[18:45:53] <inetpro> magespawn: what issues?
[18:45:57] <theblazehen> magespawn:Â As in, during the install? `debootstrap` works fine for me :)
[18:46:00] <Cryterion> magespawn apt always has issues on 14.04
[18:46:38] <magespawn> the package install, software center or whatever they are calling it now.
[18:46:53] <magespawn> the gui for apt
[18:47:16] * inetpro just sticks to the cli
[18:47:30] <Cryterion> yes, I gave up on it, I always do updates/upgrades via terminal
[18:47:31] * chesedo too, gui take too long to load
[18:47:37] <paddatrapper> Cli is life. Cli is love 
[18:48:12] <magespawn> yup me too.
[18:48:30] <magespawn> but some cannot live without the pretty pictures
[18:48:37] <chesedo> lol, we sound like a bunch of techies/admins
[18:48:49] <Cryterion> lol
[18:49:23] <chesedo> on a side note: status for education project is same as last
[18:49:23] <Cryterion> I just plug the updates into crontab now
[18:49:27] <paddatrapper> chesedo: you mean we aren't and my life is a lie? Lol
[18:50:00] <paddatrapper> Cryterion: Debian unattended-upgrades package :D
[18:50:12] * chesedo realised that exams starts in two weeks so may have little time to test for the edu project in the near future
[18:51:17] <chesedo> inetpro: in the last meeting you mentioned a school that could do with some Ubuntu For Hope PCs?
[18:51:40] <inetpro> chesedo: yikes, you have some available?
[18:52:16] <chesedo> chesedo: karl mentioned that he might have after last meeting (when we spoke)
[18:52:26] <chesedo> may need to get an update though...
[18:52:39] <inetpro> nice, please remind me to follow up with you tomorrow or so
[18:52:52] <chesedo> inetpro: will do
[18:52:56] <inetpro> ty
[18:53:01] <chesedo> anything else for Misc anyone?
[18:53:34] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed chesedo do follow up with inetpro for Ubuntu for Hope / school Pcs
[18:53:34] <Maaz> Agreed: chesedo do follow up with inetpro for Ubuntu for Hope / school Pcs
[18:53:46] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Next meeting
[18:53:46] <Maaz> Current Topic: Next meeting
[18:54:04] <chesedo> next meeting seems to be 23rd May
[18:54:23] <chesedo> and minis on 26 April (tomorrow) and 10 May
[18:54:31] <chesedo> that right? ^^
[18:55:12] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed Next meeting is 26 April 2017 & 10 May 2017 @ 20:30
[18:55:12] <Maaz> Agreed: Next meeting is 26 April 2017 & 10 May 2017 @ 20:30
[18:55:12] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed Next meeting is 23 May 2017 @ 20:30 
[18:55:12] <Maaz> Agreed: Next meeting is 23 May 2017 @ 20:30
[18:55:22] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Elect chairperson for next meeting 
[18:55:22] <Maaz> Current Topic: Elect chairperson for next meeting
[18:55:23] <inetpro> +1 chesedo
[18:55:41] <chesedo> i have an exam on 24th... will have to sit out
[18:55:44] <magespawn> what is the minis?
[18:56:00] <inetpro> paddatrapper: your turn again?
[18:56:09] <chesedo> magespawn: mini meetings is some we took up two months ago
[18:56:28] <inetpro> magespawn: you've been scarce sir
[18:56:34] <magespawn> wow I have been gone long. alrighty then.
[18:56:54] * magespawn hangs head sheepishly
[18:57:04] <chesedo> magespawn: they are quick are cover the 'Latest and Greatest news' by theblazehen, 'Local Job Openings and Help wanted' and 'Ubuntu education project' 
[18:57:10] <chesedo> s/are/and/
[18:57:36] <magespawn> right, i'll attempt to attend those 
[18:58:05] <chesedo> MaNI: speaking of which - did you get that php (or something) position filled?
[18:58:32] <chesedo> inetpro: seems that it might be your turn again :D
[18:59:08] <inetpro> sjoe, really nobody else available?
[18:59:18] <chesedo> theblazehen: maybe you want to take a swing at it?
[18:59:24] * Cryterion hides in a corner
[18:59:35] <theblazehen> chesedo:Â Alright, sure
[18:59:44] <inetpro> \o/
[18:59:48] * chesedo fetches a flashlight to find Cryterion :P
[18:59:56] <chesedo> theblazehen: great ty
[18:59:58] * Cryterion moves corners
[19:00:00] <inetpro> big sigh of relief, thanks theblazehen
[19:00:11] <theblazehen> No problem
[19:00:16] <chesedo> inetpro: will you show him the ropes on the day
[19:00:21] <MaNI> chesedo, hehe nope haven't even advertised it yet, why do you ask?
[19:00:23] <chesedo> inetpro: and be backup?
[19:00:26] <Kilos> hahaha he always ducks
[19:00:38] <inetpro> I'll gladly assist if he doesn't know how already
[19:01:06] <chesedo> MaNI: mini meeting tomorrow has Job Openings section - if you have its details
[19:01:15] <inetpro> Kilos: the young ones are good at this man :-)
[19:01:38] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed theblazehen to chair next meeting 
[19:01:38] <Maaz> Agreed: theblazehen to chair next meeting
[19:01:53] <Kilos> yes inetpro i see that
[19:01:55] <MaNI> oh okay, thanks for the offer, but that won't be necessary, I'll probably be resigning and moving on with my life instead, bit of a touchy subject at the moment :p
[19:02:13] <chesedo> inetpro: it will be his first iirc - so need to register with maaz and what not
[19:02:20] <inetpro> MaNI: eish, never give up!
[19:02:36] <chesedo> MaNI: ok
[19:02:50] <MaNI> letting go not giving up
[19:03:13] <chesedo> And that all. Thank you all for joining in on our monthly meeting!
[19:03:23] <chesedo> Maaz: end meeting 

ZATeam/Meetings/20170425 (last edited 2017-04-26 09:57:30 by chesedo)