Meeting Info

Meetings are held every 4th Tuesday of each month at 20:30 SAST (UTC+2) and are pretty informal. Anyone is free to join in and give comments and suggestions, its even encouraged. Please introduce yourself to the bot at the start of the meeting so he can take note of all members present as follows:





[18:52:03] STARTED (chesedo)
[18:52:22] TOPIC: Welcoming and Introduction (chesedo)
[18:53:51] AGREED: All happy with agenda (chesedo)
[18:54:03] TOPIC: Review minutes of previous meeting (chesedo)
[18:55:00] TOPIC: Events (chesedo)
[19:05:26] AGREED: No other events to add (chesedo)
[19:06:46] TOPIC: Miscellaneous (chesedo)
[19:10:50] TOPIC: Next meeting (chesedo)
[19:10:57] AGREED: Next meeting is 24 October 2017 @ 20:30 (chesedo)
[19:11:24] TOPIC: Elect chairperson for next meeting (chesedo)
[19:15:36] AGREED: paddatrapper to chair next meeting (chesedo)
[19:16:19] ENDED (chesedo)


* Gustav H Meyer (inetpro)
* Kyle Robbertze (paddatrapper)
* Pieter Engelbrecht (chesedo)
* Paul Romano (londoner)

Raw Log

[18:52:03] <chesedo> Maaz: start meeting about Ubuntu Monthly Meeting - September 2017
[18:52:03] * Maaz gets out his memo-pad and cracks his knuckles
[18:52:22] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Welcoming and Introduction 
[18:52:22] <Maaz> Current Topic: Welcoming and Introduction
[18:52:22] <chesedo> Welcome all and thank you for joining in on our monthly meeting
[18:52:22] <chesedo> As usual, our bot maaz does the minutes, so please introduce yourself to it using `Maaz: I am <firstname lastname>` eg. 
[18:52:22] <chesedo> Maaz: I am Pieter Engelbrecht
[18:52:22] <Maaz> chesedo: Righto
[18:52:31] <inetpro> Maaz: I am Gustav H Meyer
[18:52:31] <Maaz> inetpro: Done
[18:52:34] <londoner> Maaz: I am Paul Romano
[18:52:34] <Maaz> londoner: Okay
[18:52:38] <chesedo> Today's agenda is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZATeam/Meetings/20170926
[18:53:14] <inetpro> londoner: nice to see you here as well
[18:53:29] <chesedo> i'll skip over the regular content since we are all regular... that ok with all?
[18:53:29] <londoner> hi all. thanks inetpro
[18:53:49] <inetpro> chesedo: +1
[18:53:51] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed All happy with agenda
[18:53:51] <Maaz> Agreed: All happy with agenda
[18:54:03] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Review minutes of previous meeting 
[18:54:03] <Maaz> Current Topic: Review minutes of previous meeting
[18:54:03] <chesedo> previous meeting minutes is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZATeam/Meetings/20170822
[18:54:09] <chesedo> just for a refresher
[18:54:30] <chesedo> londoner: will you be needing any next step help?
[18:54:44] <paddatrapper> Maaz: I am Kyle Robbertze 
[18:54:44] <Maaz> paddatrapper: Alrighty
[18:54:49] <chesedo> ...trello, mailing list, etc...
[18:55:00] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Events 
[18:55:00] <Maaz> Current Topic: Events
[18:55:09] <chesedo> upcoming events for the next month are:
[18:55:09] <chesedo> - PyCon ZA 2017: 5th and 6th October 2017 (Cape Town) -> https://za.pycon.org/
[18:55:29] <paddatrapper> Eish don't remind me... So much to organise before then
[18:55:36] <chesedo> paddatrapper: you were at debconf iirc?
[18:55:42] <paddatrapper> chesedo: yup
[18:55:42] <londoner> I opened a Launchpad account in May and, after waiting for 4 months, earlier this month finally got approved as an Ubuntu Wiki editor.
[18:55:57] <inetpro> londoner: wow
[18:56:17] <chesedo> paddatrapper: wow keeping busy... how was it?
[18:56:37] <chesedo> londoner: are you part of the wiki team?
[18:56:50] <londoner> I maintain the official Full Circle Magazine article index at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/FullIssueIndex - also in spreadsheet format at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UgDCiTyVRrG5cRFSgOLmY-bEOaZ0TQwf83j7RFCUybg
[18:56:59] <paddatrapper> chesedo: it was good fun. Getting there and back was a mission, but lots of interesting talks and discussions
[18:57:27] <paddatrapper> Debian packages are over 95% reproducible! 
[18:57:31] <chesedo> ah cool, i have not read that in ages
[18:57:45] <inetpro> londoner: that is nice to know
[18:57:55] <chesedo> paddatrapper: reproducible?
[18:58:42] <paddatrapper> chesedo: so the binary built in the archive can be rebuilt on another machine with the same environment and be bit for bit identical 
[18:58:55] <chesedo> i see the full circle mag still has the py section
[18:59:13] <paddatrapper> https://reproducible-builds.org/
[19:00:39] <chesedo> paddatrapper: that is interesting, i though that machine languages might differ between machines...
[19:00:56] <chesedo> or is that covered by the "same environment"?
[19:01:13] <paddatrapper> chesedo: yup. Needs to be the same architecture 
[19:01:29] <chesedo> ah righto
[19:01:58] <chesedo> i am not aware of other events for the year
[19:02:03] <chesedo> are any of you?
[19:02:03] <paddatrapper> But seeing as the Debian build infrastructure builds for all supported architectures, it isn't that much if an issue 
[19:02:12] * inetpro should try to make an effort to print the Full Circle Magazine for coffee table reading in the office
[19:02:39] <paddatrapper> Nope. Wikimania happening in CT next year is the next one I know of 
[19:03:08] <chesedo> inetpro: that might be a lot of ink (colour wise)
[19:03:27] <chesedo> but a great distraction
[19:03:42] <inetpro> chesedo: true, that there's always nice content in there and we can't keep it to ourselves
[19:03:53] <inetpro> info is there to be shared
[19:03:57] <inetpro> :-)
[19:04:20] <chesedo> i remember saving each one years ago for the gimp content it had
[19:04:24] <inetpro> s/that there's/but there's/
[19:05:01] <chesedo> inetpro: how big is your office in head counts?
[19:05:26] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed No other events to add
[19:05:26] <Maaz> Agreed: No other events to add
[19:05:53] <inetpro> we have four in the office but a few other IT guys and users who come and go
[19:06:46] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Miscellaneous
[19:06:46] <Maaz> Current Topic: Miscellaneous
[19:07:01] <chesedo> if anyone has any misc topics...
[19:07:30] <inetpro> chesedo: but you're right... maybe too much ink needed
[19:07:37] * chesedo now wonders if it is possible to get a copied subscription
[19:08:34] <chesedo> or maybe a print shop will work out cheaper... and better looking...
[19:08:39] <inetpro> would be nice if we could just do cheap printing and selling locally to cover the printing costs
[19:09:30] <chesedo> i think posting would be the biggest/killer issue here in SA
[19:09:59] <chesedo> but yeah...
[19:10:05] * chesedo sighs
[19:10:50] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Next meeting
[19:10:50] <Maaz> Current Topic: Next meeting
[19:10:57] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed Next meeting is 24 October 2017 @ 20:30
[19:10:57] <Maaz> Agreed: Next meeting is 24 October 2017 @ 20:30
[19:11:24] <chesedo> Maaz: topic Elect chairperson for next meeting
[19:11:24] <Maaz> Current Topic: Elect chairperson for next meeting
[19:11:55] <chesedo> paddatrapper: are you still on for the next chair?
[19:12:35] <inetpro> +1 for paddatrapper, if he's available
[19:13:35] * chesedo has an exam on that and the next day
[19:14:48] <inetpro> chesedo: he said last time, "I _should_ be free"
[19:15:22] <chesedo> ok, i'll put him on for now... can change if need be
[19:15:31] <paddatrapper> Sorry, yes I am
[19:15:36] <chesedo> Maaz: agreed paddatrapper to chair next meeting 
[19:15:36] <Maaz> Agreed: paddatrapper to chair next meeting
[19:15:46] <chesedo> awesome, ty paddatrapper
[19:16:11] <chesedo> and thank you all for having joined in
[19:16:19] <chesedo> Maaz: end meeting

ZATeam/Meetings/20170926 (last edited 2017-10-23 14:46:51 by chesedo)