|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 93:||Line 93:|
| * We have some members who really stepped up and have been doing some great work the last 6 months, keep up the good work! -- [[LaunchpadHome:jonathan]] <<DateTime(2010-08-01T00:07:35-0500)>>
* Love the LoCo, great people who are always willing to help the not-so Ubuntu orientated newcomers.
Ubuntu-za (aka Ubuntu South Africa) has been an approved Loco since July 2005. We work with the local LUGs to support the Ubuntu community. There are some factors that make activity in the South African communities unique. We are distributed over large areas and our bandwidth is expensive. It is important for us to spread Ubuntu in the form of install CDs and repositories to people so they can avoid downloading.
To this end we have Global Jams and Release parties and we take part in Software Freedom days.
This document was a team effort.
Date - August 2010
Team Contact - David Rubin <drubin-a-t-ubuntu.com>
Membership - 171 direct members as of 24 July 2010 see ~ubuntu-za
Mailing List - ubuntu-za on lists.ubuntu.com - 324 subscribed as of 24 July 2010
IRC - #ubuntu-za on freenode - 36 active participants as of July 2010
SFD 2010 event at the dept of Science and Technology in Pretoria
- Getting more Ubuntu developers in SA
- More events outside of Cape Town / Stellenbosch
- More Ubuntu Hours
- More non-geeky users at events
- Get more Ubuntu Members from ZA
- Obtaining funds for free swag for events
- Marketing Ubuntu in the media? To schools?
Just a note on why our online activities seem very minimal: We recently lost the wiki data for our original website, which contained much of our docs and meetings and reports. You can see Announcement
Website - http://ubuntu-za.org
Meetings - Record and logs of recent meetings.
IRC - membership has increased from 23 to 36 since 2008.
Forums - Ubuntu-za at ubuntuforums.org
Global Jam -
Release Parties - .
Packaging Jams - Johannesburg 2009
Ubuntu Hour - First Friday of the month in Stellenbosch.
- Note the spike of almost 200 people on the first two days after the site was launched. A number of other LoCo's liked our new theme.
We have some members who really stepped up and have been doing some great work the last 6 months, keep up the good work! -- jonathan 2010-08-01 05:07:35
Love the LoCo, great people who are always willing to help the not-so Ubuntu orientated newcomers.
- Add your testimonial here ubuntu-za member