|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 9:||Line 9:|
|* '''Web Page''': [[http://www.dthomasdigital.com dthomasdigital]]||* '''Web Page''': [[http://www.dthomasdigital.com|dthomasdigital]]|
|Line 15:||Line 15:|
|* Through events like Software Freedom Day, HDI Conferences, and other public events put Ubuntu in the hands of new users.|
|Line 17:||Line 16:|
| * Organized the 2007, 2008, and the upcoming 2009 [[http://softwarefreedomday.org/teams/northamerica/NM/Albuquerque/NewMexicoUbuntuLoco|Albuquerque Software Freedom day]]. For 2009 we have added another location [[http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/PortalesLinux|Portales Software Freedom Day]]
* Organized the 2009 [[http://www.newmexicolinuxgnufest.org|New Mexico LinuxFest]] scheduled for December 19, 2009. Check out all the [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoLinuxFest|Ubuntu stuff]] at the New Mexico LinuxFest
* President and Chairman of the Board for the [[http://www.newmexicolinuxcorp.org|New Mexico Linux Corporation]] - A 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation registered in the state of New Mexico to promote the education of Linux and Free and Open Source software.
* Active member of the: [[http://www.nmlug.org/|NMLUG]] [[http://www.mvlug.org/|MVLUG]] [[http://nmglug.org/|NMGLUG]] [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam|NM Ubuntu LoCo]] [[http://www.nmosug.org/|NMOSUG]] [[http://en.opensuse.org/Ambassador|openSUSE Ambassadors]] [[https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors|Fedora Ambassadors]]
* I'm one of the experts on the the [[http://www.linuxjournal.com/|Linux Journal]] on-line column [[http://www.linuxjournal.com/topics/ask-experts|Ask the Experts]].
David Thomas (aka dthomasdigital) Bio
David Thomas is currently the information technology specialist manager for the Metropolitan Court system for the State of New Mexico. He has more than 20 years of experience in the technology support field and his experience includes holding many titles from systems administrator to network engineer. Currently held technical certifications include; Help Desk Analyst Certification (HDA), Help Desk Manager Certification (HDM), and he is Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundations Certified in IT service management.
IRC: My freenode IRC name: dthomasdigital
GPG key: 47F6661F
Ubuntu Account: dthomasdigital
Web Page: dthomasdigital
Activities within Ubuntu and the greater GNU/Linux Community
New Mexico Ubuntu LoCo member responsible for many of the organizations core functions.
- Given multiple presentations with Ubuntu being the foundation.
- Ubuntu Membership received 9/9/2008
President and Chairman of the Board for the New Mexico Linux Corporation - A 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation registered in the state of New Mexico to promote the education of Linux and Free and Open Source software.
My Conference Appearances are also listed here.
I've been speaking at conferences, promoting Free Software and Ubuntu.
July 15, 2009 Albuquerque, NM - Ignite New Mexico - Ignite is a speaking event, designed to be a night of fast pace fun presentations. Each presenter gets 20 slides which will automatically advance every 15 seconds. I'll be helping run the event as well as have a table setup for disk distribution and information.
April 29, 2009 Santa Fe, NM - Ignite Santa Fe - Ignite is a speaking event, designed to be a night of fast pace fun presentations. Each presenter gets 20 slides which will automatically advance every 15 seconds. We are current planning our first Ignite Santa Fe! My Talk will be about what it takes to get a non-profit of the ground ground and how to use it to support your cause. In my case promoting open source software.
April 16, 2009 Las Cruces, NM - Southwest Regional Technology Symposium - My talk will be about Growing New Mexico's Open Source Communities: Demand for open source software is at it's greatest than it has been since Linux, Open Office, and a slew of other applications appeared over a decade ago. A slowing economy and the emergence of low cost "Net" book computers have fueled this demand. This talk will be about the state of Open Source software, the communities that exist, and the amount of support one can expect when moving from priority software to Open Source. Got to apply for some disk as I will be setting up a booth as well.
January 17, 2009 Albuquerque, NM New Mexico Media Industry Mix A conference for New Mexico Media includes filmmakers, game developers, animators, educators, designers, musicians, technology developers - and more. Talking about Linux and the community that makes it strong. What a great conference Had no idea what to expect, but now I do. The future for new media is alive and well in New Mexico. I talked about two subjects on two different panels. How to build virtual communities and the Future of Open Source in New Mexico, as a bonus I handed out over 50 Ubuntu CDs.
March 9-12, 2008 Dallas, TX - HDI Conference & Expo - Know It's Broke Before Your Customers Do practical use of Open Source I plan on handing out over 100 Ubuntu disk as well as Nagios disks with a quick start guide for nagios optimized for Ubuntu. The HDI presentation went very well, lots of questions and I hope good answers I was very successful in distributing Ubuntu disk, nagios guides and promoting Open Source Software in general. Can't wait till next year.
April 17, 2008 Las Cruces, NM - Southern New Mexico Technology Symposium - What Open Source Software Can Do. Confirmed to speak. Again talking Open Source and handing out Ubuntu. Well I did not make it to this talk, see why here. Good news is the NMGLUG can use all my disk and handouts I'll be sending it up to them on 4/18/08
September 13-14, 2008 Albuquerque, NM Albuquerque BarCamp3 More Open Source talk. Lots of CD's to hand out too. Event was great, talk went perfect was able to hand out allot of CD's and information. Adam Thomas also a New Mexico LoCo Member gave a talk and help with CD distribution as well.
October 29-31 2008 Albuquerque, NM - State of New Mexico Judicial Conference - Moving Forward The Court a new technology
October 18-19 2007 Albuquerque, NM - State of New Mexico Judicial Conference - New Technology in the Courts
- Still working on my Linux LPI level 1 certification, with luck 2009 will be my year.
Hope to have a very successful GNU/LinuxFest in 2009.
Plan to Move The New Mexico Linux Corporation forward and make it a model for others to follow in support of GNU/Linux and Free Software initiatives.
- Become a clearing house for the various LUG's in the State of New Mexico to help increase communications and move the dominant distributions further into the main stream.
- Bring some much needed GNU/Linux events to the New Mexico area.
|/HOWTOS /Menu /NMLocoprojects /SFD2007 /SFD2008 /blueprints /bugs /expos /forumcon /graphics /odd /projects /wikipages|