I am not a techie, only a simple Linux user that enjoys sharing my limited knowledge of Ubuntu and FOSS with others. All of my computer experience came after I retired from a career in the United States Army. Like many people I was introduced to the computer world via Microsoft Windows. A complete stranger handed me a disk with Ubuntu 6.06 on it and I was intrigued. By the release of Hardy Heron, 8.04, I was a Microsoft free Ubuntu user. I continued to use Ubuntu until I switched to Lubuntu in 2010 (10.10) before Lubuntu was even recognized as an official “flavor”. It became and still is my Operating System of choice. Although retired, I stay active by participating in state-wide and local Linux groups as well as contribute to several forums.
Forum profile: http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=767164
LXDE forum profile: http://forum.lxde.org/ucp.php?i=163
Ask Ubuntu profile: http://askubuntu.com/users/258563/rex?tab=profile
- Member/contributor Launchpad since 30 August 2008
- Contributor Ubuntu forums since 10 February 2009
- Contributor/global moderator/administrator LXDE forum since 27 August 2011
- Contributor to Ask Ubuntu March 2014
Member/administrator Ubuntu Arizona Local Community since 29 March 2014 http://azloco.org/
- Has run AZLOCO Team on line IRC meetings
- Presents the Team events/activities at the weekly Team meetings.
- Maintains Arizona LUG and Linux Special Interest Group points of contact for AZLOCO and presents their activities/events weekly at the Team meetings.
- Has provided assistance to the Ubuntu New Mexico Local Community in attempt to re-energize their Team
Assists in maintaining/editing the AZLOCO web site http://www.azloco.org/
Assists in maintaining/editing the AZLOCO Ubuntu wiki pages https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam
Responsible individual for submitting monthly reports to the Ubuntu LoCo Council
- Responsible for organizing and running the monthly Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour for 23 consecutive months
- Participated in two Global Jams (Ubuntu 15.04 and 15.10)
- Attends the semi-monthly AZLOCO/PLUG installation-festival when feasible.
- Participated in updating the documentation for the re-validation of the AZLOCO Team (September 2015)
Responsible for maintaining the Team event/meeting portal. http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-arizona/
Co-founder/member Cochise Linux User Group (Cochise County, Arizona) since 20 August 2015 http://cochiselinux.com/index.html
- Responsible for planning and conducting semi-monthly meetings
- Responsible for maintaining the Group mailing list
- Responsible for scheduling presentations for the Group.
- Responsible for liaising with the University of Arizona South for classroom space and the Sierra Vista public library for a conference room to conduct our meetings
- Gave presentations on Introduction to Linux (Sierra Vista, AZ 2015 and Kingman, AZ 2016)
- Spends 5-10 hours a day on forums and in Ubuntu or LUG related IRC channels
- Continue to make contributions to my forums.
- Present a positive leadership roll model in both the Ubuntu Arizona Local Community and the Cochise Linux User Group.
- Actively spread the recognition and use of Ubuntu in my local community and state-wide through the use of information booths and participation in community events.
- Develop a standard Linux presentation to be given to high school/middle school computer clubs in the state in general and Cochise County Arizona in particular to arouse their interest in a Linux Operating System for their personal computers. Our future depends upon youth.
- Continue to follow the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.