WARNING: WORK IN PROGRESS
I, Stephen Michael Kellat, apply for upload rights for the packageset xubuntu or a subset thereof to allow upload rights for xubuntu-docs.
Stephen Michael Kellat
Who I am
By training I am a professional librarian. I write documentation for Xubuntu. I currently serve as LoCo leader for Ubuntu Ohio and have been trying to spark activity within the group. I herd ARM boards while still using x86 machines on occasion.
My Ubuntu story
Within Ubuntu, I initially started trying the various flavors in 2008. I left for a little while to try openSUSE until their PowerPC support faded below Ubuntu's level of support. Since moving from Nevada back to Ohio I have taken part in the activities of the Ohio LoCo in increasing stages to where I am now the LoCo leader. Since UDS-1303 I have dug in hard to help improve documentation for Xubuntu and contributed a new chapter to xubuntu-docs. During the preparations for the Quantal cycle I advocated for the inclusion of apt-offline which we are now planning to include in the Saucy release.
I use computers in a world where always-online Internet access is an ideal but not always reality. In rural Ohio I have to contend with infrastructure failures that happen at inconvenient times. I advocate for improving offline resources to avoid "chicken and the egg" situations with what is shipped on the LiveCD so that users can thrive even in resource-challenged environments. Adequate broadband access only exists for 70% of United States residents and we have to make sure to not leave the other 30% behind.
My involvement has been focused on editing and getting merges approved for xubuntu-docs to improve documentation and synchronize it to release goals. Though I am trying to learn to code software my primary goal at this time is to ensure that the friction level for users is reduced by having adequate documentation available at-hand.
Examples of my work / Things I'm proud of
I am proud of creating our offline package management chapter text from scratch.
Areas of work
In work on xubuntu-docs, I cooperate heavily with knome, lyz, and Unit193 in creating and updating documentation. knome has asked me on occasion to seek sponsored upload for xubuntu-docs after he has made commits to help reduce load on our two main developers but I want to take things to the next level to be able to upload on my own.
Things I could do better
Avoid avoidable typos when proposing merges. I missed a minor typo in the new chapter that shipped on the Raring Ringtail disc. For the nine months of support, I have to live with that mistake that I missed in that bit of documentation creation.
Plans for the future
Write more documentation
- Learn at least one programming language so that I can help in the creation of software.
- Learn how to properly package software to bring new tools to our universe of software
- Accept further responsibility within Xubuntu as the Project Leader may be pleased to entrust to me
- Write at least one new chapter for xubuntu-docs during the Saucy cycle
What I like least in Ubuntu
We argue a wee bit too much. We barely get to painting the bikeshed because we are stuck at the paint store some times.
If you'd like to comment, but are not the applicant or a sponsor, do it here. Don't forget to sign with @SIG@.
As a sponsor, just copy the template below, fill it out and add it to this section.
== <SPONSORS NAME> == === General feedback === ## Please fill us in on your shared experience. (How many packages did you sponsor? How would you judge the quality? How would you describe the improvements? Do you trust the applicant?) === Specific Experiences of working together === ''Please add good examples of your work together, but also cases that could have handled better.'' === Areas of Improvement ===