Shared Terminal Session
Instructions follow to connect to the virtual shared terminal for use during Education Focus Group Sessions.
How to use the system :
The guest account will connect to educational sessions "automatically", is "read only", and may not be available outside of educational sessions. "Read only" means guests will be able to watch commands and configuration in real time, but they will not be able to run commands in the session (that is what your own box is for )
To connect to the educational sessions as a guest :
1. Download the ufbt-guest ssh key from :
- Linux users :
How to ssh : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHHowto#Logging%20in%20from%20other%20computers As a side note, you do not need to install anything. All major linux distro come with the ssh client already installed. You DO NOT need to install openssh-server, Just read the client section "Logging in from other computers"
- Windows users can connect with putty.
Putty Key : http://bodhizazen.net/beginners/ufbt-guest.ppk
Putty home page : http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
How to putty : http://www.howtoforge.com/ssh_key_based_logins_putty
- Windows users can also use cygwin (but that will not be covered here).
Cygwin : http://www.cygwin.com/
2. Save or move the ufbt-guest ssh key to your home directory (abbreviated with a ~) in ~/.ssh (if the directory does not exist simply mkdir ~/.ssh).
3. Set the permissions of the key using a terminal:
- chmod 400 ~/.ssh/ufbt-guest
4. ssh in from a terminal with
ssh email@example.com -i ~/.ssh/ufbt-guest
- The password is : padawan
5. Read the welcome message and press enter, you will then automatically connect.
6. To exit either hit the control-a then d keys or simply close your terminal
Warning: If you make mutiple attempts to log in your IP address will be black listed.
Tips: use KeepAlive to connect so your session does not TIMEOUT
- TIMEOUT = automatic disconnection. Linux :
http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/02/03/keeping-ssh-sessions-alive/ Edit /etc/ssh/ssh_config Add this line :
- Click the " " tab in the left panes=l use 120 in the " " box.