|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|## page was copied from KarmicKoala/Alpha6/Kubuntu|
|Line 10:||Line 11:|
|Karmic Koala will soon become Kubuntu 9.10.||Karmic Koala, the next version of Kubuntu, is due to be released on October 29, 2009|
|Line 14:||Line 15:|
|Alpha 6, the sixth in a series of testing CD images that will be released throughout this cycle, represents the very latest snapshot of Karmic Koala. The pre-release images are known to be reasonably free of major undocumented CD-build or installer bugs, however they are not recommended for use in stable environments. These releases will be for those who are developing, documenting, and testing. Alpha releases can be downloaded from the following URL:||'''NOTE:''' ''This is a beta (pre-) release. Pre-release versions of 9.10 are '''__NOT__''' encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Pre-release versions of 9.10 '''__ARE__''' recommended for Kubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs. Please do not use this in a production environment with data or workflows that you cannot do without.''|
|Line 16:||Line 17:|
|* http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/karmic/alpha-6/||= Installing 9.10 Beta =
To upgrade from 9.04 follow [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KarmicUpgrades/Kubuntu | these upgrade instructions]], you can also [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KarmicUpgrades/Kubuntu/8.04 | upgrade from 8.04]].
The Beta release can also be downloaded from the following mirrors (some mirrors may still be updating):
=== Africa ===
* http://bw.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (Botswana)
* http://ls.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (Lesotho)
* http://mz.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (Mozambique)
* http://sz.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (Swaziland)
* http://ubuntu.mirror.ac.za/ubuntu-release/kubuntu/9.04 (South Africa)
* http://zw.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (Zimbabwe)
=== Asia ===
* ftp://ftp.corbina.net/pub/Linux/ubuntu-cd/kubuntu/9.04 (Russian Federation)
* http://ftp.cse.yzu.edu.tw/pub/Linux/Ubuntu/ubuntu-cd/kubuntu/9.04 (Taiwan)
* http://ftp.daum.net/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Korea, Republic of)
* http://ftp.linux.org.tr/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Turkey)
* http://ftp.tcc.edu.tw/iso/Ubuntu/kubuntu/9.04 (Taiwan)
* http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Ubuntu/ubuntu-cd/kubuntu/9.04 (Taiwan)
=== Europe ===
* http://de2.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/jaunty/ (Germany)
* http://ubuntu.ipacct.com/releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Bulgaria)
* http://se.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (Sweden)
* http://nl.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Netherlands)
* http://es.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (Spain)
* http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (Germany)
=== North America ===
* http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/kubuntu/9.04 (United States)
* http://less.cogeco.net/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Canada)
* http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/releases/kubuntu/9.04 (United States)
* http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Canada)
* http://mirrors.ccs.neu.edu/releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (United States)
* http://mirrors.gigenet.com/ubuntu/kubuntu/9.04 (United States)
=== Oceania/Australia ===
* http://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/9.04 (New Zealand)
* http://ubuntu-releases.optus.net/kubuntu/9.04 (Australia)
* http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Australia)
* http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Australia)
* http://planetmirror.com/pub/ubuntu/releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Australia)
=== South America ===
* http://ubuntu.c3sl.ufpr.br/releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Brazil)
* http://espelhos.edugraf.ufsc.br/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Brazil)
* http://ftp.ucr.ac.cr/ubuntu-cd/kubuntu/9.04 (Costa Rica)
=== Rest of the world ===
* http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (Great Britain)
|Line 22:||Line 81:|
|'''NOTE:''' ''This is an alpha (pre-) release. Pre-release versions of Karmic are '''__NOT__''' encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Pre-release versions of Karmic '''__ARE__''' recommended for Kubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.' Please do not use this in a production environment with data or workflows that you cannot do without''
Karmic Koala, the next version of Kubuntu, is due to be released on October 29, 2009
The focus for 9.10 for the Kubuntu community will be refining the KDE desktop experience while at the same time reaching out to new, exciting features. The plan is to continue maintaining our excellent KDE packages while developing tools to make managing your desktop and communicating with your friends easier. Karmic is the first station on the way to a more sociable and powerful desktop seen nowhere else.
NOTE: This is a beta (pre-) release. Pre-release versions of 9.10 are NOT encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Pre-release versions of 9.10 ARE recommended for Kubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs. Please do not use this in a production environment with data or workflows that you cannot do without.
Installing 9.10 Beta
The Beta release can also be downloaded from the following mirrors (some mirrors may still be updating):
http://ubuntu.mirror.ac.za/ubuntu-release/kubuntu/9.04 (South Africa)
ftp://ftp.corbina.net/pub/Linux/ubuntu-cd/kubuntu/9.04 (Russian Federation)
http://ftp.daum.net/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/9.04 (Korea, Republic of)
http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/kubuntu/9.04 (United States)
http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/releases/kubuntu/9.04 (United States)
http://mirrors.ccs.neu.edu/releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (United States)
http://mirrors.gigenet.com/ubuntu/kubuntu/9.04 (United States)
http://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/9.04 (New Zealand)
http://ftp.ucr.ac.cr/ubuntu-cd/kubuntu/9.04 (Costa Rica)
Rest of the world
http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04 (Great Britain)
Its always best to check cd image before install! Check the md5 with comand md5sum /path/iso or for cd md5sum /dev/sr0
New or Improved In Alpha 6
Pretty much everything!!
The Karmic Koala Alpha 6 CD release brings with it a brand new desktop as well as many new fixes and applications. For this latest release of Kubuntu 9.10, we are adding several interesting features to the desktop experience, building on the latest KDE. Besides these changes, there have been updates to many common applications as well as bug fixes to some of those annoyances you may or may not have run into. With every new pre-release, updates will be documented allowing you to thoroughly test your new Kubuntu test installation. Remember that all of these features are part of a pre-release version of Kubuntu, and may still have issues. We ask that any problems you come across that you file a bug, if one has yet to be filed for your problem.
KDE has recently released 4.3 of their amazing desktop environment. There are many changes including bug fixes, new functionality, and more. Some of these changes include, but are not limited to:
- Significant refinements of Plasma and KWin, the KDE workspace
- Many improvements
- Refinement of the Plasma desktop shell
- New features all around
- New and Improved Applications
- and more...
For Karmic Alpha 6, KDE includes the first bug fix release of KDE 4.3, 4.3.1. For complete details of the KDE 4.3 release, please consult http://kde.org/announcements/4.3/.
Our netbook edition is taking shape with continued improvements in the Plasma Netbook shell. Plasma Netbook has most basic functionality now, but still lacks some features expected for the final release. usb-creator-kde should work to copy the ISO onto a USB disk for your netbook, you can also install by burning a DVD. More details on Plasma Netbook here.
Konqueror by default
It has been decided that the default web browser to be shipped with Kubuntu 9.10 will continue to be Konqueror. It was decided that its superior integration with KDE was worth more than the hassle of switching default web browsers a lot. However, Arora 0.8 will still be shipped on the DVD for those who want to use Arora for its superior performance with social web applications such as Facebook.
For fans of Firefox, installing this excellent browser will be a piece of cake in Kubuntu 9.10. We have included a simple installer for Firefox that appears where Firefox would normally appear in the "Internet" menu. While we cannot provide Firefox by default due to CD size constraints, this is the next best option.
A new message indicator has been added which currently has a plugins for Konversation, Quassel, Kopete and Kontact. No need to be distracted by IRC pings, instant message chats, or new emails when you don't want to be, but easy to find out who has been leaving messages for you when you want to.
Our installer has a fresh new look.
Amarok 2.1.80 is the first beta in the Amarok 2.2 series, which will provide many new features present in Amarok 1.4.x as well as bring polish and customization possibilities to the user interface.
Kubuntu 9.10 will include the latest release of KPackageKit. Key features added since Kubuntu 9.04 are new notifications, sweet animations, a history feature, usability fixes and a more robust overall experience with fewer bugs.
K3b 1.66.0 (alpha 2)
One of the last KDE3 mainstays of previous releases, K3b has now been ported to KDE4. Kubuntu 9.10 will be shipping the KDE4 version of K3b.
Everybody's favorite user management tool from the KDE3 days has been resurrected for Kubuntu 9.10. Userconfig offers a simple user interface as well as integration with System Settings.
KUser, the application that handled this in the past, has been relegated to the CD, as it still has LDAP tools that might be useful to some.
Social from the Start
New social features include:
- The KDE microblogging Plasma widget as part of the default desktop experience for all of your identi.ca and Twitter needs
- The Google Calendar Plasma widget as part of the default desktop experience
- The Facebook Kopete plugin so that you can chat with your Facebook contacts from the comfort of the default chat client
Also to be included on the DVD is choqoK, for a more in-depth microblogging experience.
The NetworkManager applet has received some loving from its creators, and offers a more robust networking experience than it did in Kubuntu 9.04.
QtCurve 0.68.0 brings a refinement of the Oxygen-like widget style so that your GNOME apps will look more at home in KDE.
Kubuntu 9.10 offers further control over the look of your GNOME apps in KDE. The GTK+ Appearance System Settings module from previous releases makes a comeback, as it had been removed from distribution because it was tied to the obsolete gtk-qt-engine. We have made it standalone software so that you can configure the GTK+ widget style and fonts for your favorite GNOME apps in KDE.
OpenOffice KDE integration
Written by our very own elite Kubuntu developers, OpenOffice 3.1.1 introduces KDE integration. This means that all OpenOffice applications will look at home with the default "Oxygen" KDE theme and use the KDE file dialog for opening and saving documents.
The Kubuntu Netbook Edition image does not install under Windows (with wubi). (402850)
We want to hear what you think about the current release of Kubuntu 9.10, The Karmic Koala, Alpha 6 CD Release. We want to know if it Rocks, if it is just OK, or it is flat out wrong. No matter the feedback, as long as it is in line with the Ubuntu Code of Conduct we would like to hear it.
So what are you waiting for, head on over to the Feedback Page and let us know!