This list gives an overview of games which are not yet in Ubuntu. Perhaps you can help the MOTUGames Team to bring them into universe?
How to adopt a game
If you find a game in the list below that you would like to see in the Universe repository, you can try to package it. However, you should first search the internet to see if someone has already created a package for the game. In that case, please add a link to this wiki page. If you created a source package for the game, please add it on MOTUNewPackages and contact a Member of the MOTUGames Team.
Please note that not every game is distributable. We can only include games that are freely redistributable. This restriction excludes commercial games like Doom, Quake, and such.
The Debian wiki has explanations for why certain games cannot be included in Debian and/or Ubuntu: http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Unsuitable. Perhaps we could distribute them in the Multiverse repository for Ubuntu, but this would require additional consideration. Feel free to start a wiki page documenting your investigations.
This page needs your help. It has currently grown very long, and there are obviously some entries which should be moved out of this list. If you want to help the MOTUGames team, please help us triage the next section. Use the following template for each game entry (this was taken from http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Suggested):
Game name - template
Home page: Home page link
- License: License name and/or link to license text
Download page: url to download page
- Description: (The best game template ever)
- Notes: (special requirements or dependencies not in ubuntu [yet])
Please note that the license for each game is important. Many games use different licenses for their game engines and artwork, respectively. Packagers should definitely take note, as licenses play an important role in determining which packages will be included in the repositories.
Debian has done some research about games which are unsuitable for packaging; you may use this research for triaging the list of packages below: http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Unsuitable
New games currently not in Ubuntu
Crown & Cutlass http://crownandcutlass.sourceforge.net/
- FTBFS - this is due to some very dumb coding on the part of upstream
Built and tested on Breezy, runs (sound issues) - CoreyBurger is building package
- bddebian - Seems like a cool game but has license issues on the data package. Spoke with upstream, they are working on it.
Gnome War Pad http://gwp.lunix.com.ar/index.php
- Upstream has .debs, we should get the sources from them
- Should be entering debian soon
Bub & Bob Brothers http://bub-n-bros.sourceforge.net/
This Bubble Bobble clone is great! Relies on Python, tested and works in hoary([JonDodson]). Mit License.
Ultimate Stunts http://www.ultimatestunts.nl/
Packaging in progress by MattGalvin, working out some bugs with upstream
IGE - Outer Space http://www.ospace.net/index.en.html
Dark Oberon http://dark-oberon.sourceforge.net/
Compiled this game(JonDodson). Graphics are really well done. They use a make script and some OpenGL libraries that are not that standard. However, the game is very well done.
Vulture's Eye http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/vultures/ - The successor of falcon's eye.
Warzone 2100 GPL https://gna.org/projects/warzone/
- redevelopment of the commercial Warzone2100 game, so everything is pretty complete and balanced
- Enemy Territory
License: EULA (from Gentoo's Package)
- Description: FPS based on Return to Castle Wolfenstein
- Notes: No source available, but other distros ship a package (i.e. Gentoo). Maybe a candidate for Multiverse?
- SAVAGE: The Battle for Newerth (Became freeware not so long ago)
License: AS-IS (from Gentoo's Portage)
Download page: http://www.notforidiots.com/SFE/SFE-Standalone.tar.gz (With SFE)
- Description: Very fun mix of RTS and FPS
- Notes: The game is already packaged with the mod SEP on the official downloads page and it's the recommended option. So I did provide a link to the SFE mod, which is actually the latest incarnation of the SEP mod(they've changed the name) and has a huge list of improvements over SEP while still remaining compatible.
Brand new games with potential
- Really nice in its simplicity
- Redevelopment of the commercial Total Annihilation game, so everything is pretty complete.
- Multiplatform multiplayer needs love (sync problems). It is playable if you manage to get a cluster of identical linux boxes and play with the same binary on every box.
Stendhal http://arianne.sourceforge.net/?arianne_url=games/game_stendhal - relies on Sun's Java Webstart
Spice Trade http://www.spicetrade.org/ - relies on Sun's JVM
TripleA http://triplea.sourceforge.net/ - more investigation needed
Currently non-free games that could be free with work/time
- Not redistributable. Engine is zlib, media files are mostly nonfree
OpenTTD - http://www.openttd.com/
- Currently requires media files from original game
- Quake 3: Arena
Graphics for non-existant games
Only rarely do artists produce graphics before a game. Nicu (of Planet.ocal) has created art for a mr potato head game, but needs a gnome programmer. Blog entry
Games where the developers have called for help
The games listed here have a working and playable version already, they just need polishing
The call for both of the above was made here: Blog Entry