What is Ubuntu Kylin?
Ubuntu Kylin is an open source operation system based on Ubuntu, aiming to create a popular Linux distribution that is more suitable for Chinese users. We are committed to provide you with a delicate, thoughtful and fully customized user experience out-of-the-box. Ubuntu Kylin has been a formal member of the Ubuntu family since Ubuntu Kylin 13.04. Currently, we have two types of releases:
- Long-Time Support (LTS) Release: The Kernel and applications are much more stable, and the community provides a FIVE-year technical support. It is suitable for persons or teams who use Ubuntu Kylin in their daily office work, enterprise manufacture and technical development. Our latest LTS version is Ubuntu Kylin 14.04.1 released on July 25, 2014!
- Short-Time Support (STS) Release: The Kernel and applications are much more active, and the community offers a NINE-month technical support. It is suitable for persons or teams who use Ubuntu Kylin in their personal entertainment, office work and the learning of development. Today, we will release our latest STS version Ubuntu Kylin 14.10.
We are glad to announce the final release of Ubuntu Kylin 14.10. In this release, we improve the system stability and add more new features, which provide you a better user experience. The Linux Kernel is updated to Ubuntu Kernel 3.16.0-17.23 based on 3.16.3 upstream version and Unity is 7.3.1. This release upgrades Ubuntu Kylin Software Center to 1.1.3, Youker Assistant 1.3.1, Youker Weather 2.1.2, Youker Calendar 1.0.0, Youker Fcitx 1.0.0, Sogou IM 1.1.0, Kuaipan 2.0.0 and Wiznote 2.1.12. Meanwhile, we have done lots of optimization and enhancement for you, with new slideshow and new wallpapers from 14.10 Wallpaper Contest!
- This release is based on Linux Kernel 3.16.3. The improvements of 3.13.6 compared to 3.13.6 used in Ubuntu Kylin 14.04 are as follows.
- Various supports for Nvidia Tegra K1 and Kepler GPU;
- Nokia N900 modem driver included in mainline;
- Initial Intel Cherryview Support;
Improvements to Sixaxis and DualShock 4 controller support;
- Sony-HID driver improvements ;
- RMI driver for Synaptics touchpad;
- Saitek RAT7 gaming mouse fix;
Dell FreeFall driver;
- 80 changes and fixes to Btrfs filesystem;
- New audio drivers for misc. Cirrus, Realtek and Analog devices;
- Tegra HD-audio HDMI support.
- Unity is a desktop environment designed for the high-efficiency of space and interaction. We are joining the discussion and development of Unity 8, the next generation of Unity that is expected to support Desktop, Tablet, Phone and TV. This release uses Unity 7.3.1 and we have done some UI customization and modification to make it more suitable for China users. The improvements of Unity 7.3.1 compared to 7.2.0 used in Ubuntu Kylin 14.04 are as follows.
- System Layout : The open windows are displayed in a "correct" order;
- Window Decoration: make edges independent from borders and properly update them when actions changed.
- A few customization has been done on Unity, Nautilus and gnome-terminal to make it more user-friendly, these features are available only in the Enhanced Edition of Ubuntu Kylin.
- Enhanced Launcher container with high flexibility. Now you can put applications, files, file folders, shortcuts and links all into the same container.
- One click search in terminal. You can search unfamiliar commands or keywords via Baidu or Sogou in one click.
- Enhanced right-click menu in file browser. Three new options "Refresh", "Advanced search" and "Run as administrator" is easy for use.
- Enhanced Chinese language support
- Chinese language support in boot animation.
- Comprehensive Chinese language environment. Integrate Chinese language support and turn Chinese language checkout off in default.
- Windows code format auto converting. Automatically detect and convert file names coding in Windows format in Zip archive.
- Ubuntu Kylin Software Store includes Ubuntu Kylin Software Center, Ubuntu Kylin Developer Platform and Ubuntu Kylin Repository. Its interface is simple but with powerful function and it supports both Ubuntu and Ubuntu Kylin Repositories. It is especially convenient for quick installation of Chinese characteristic software developed by Ubuntu Kylin team!
- Ubuntu Kylin Software Center
- new user interface and function layout are much more beautiful and convenient;
- window maximize/normalize and free scaling support;
- flexible software category and grading recommendation mechanism which are convenient for the user to quickly find the required application;
- modular package management, Xapian Chinese word search function, and support for cloud synonyms and keywords;
- asynchronous message processing and buffering mechanism, reduce the delay of the operation, support the concurrent operation;
- extensible Chinese description mechanism of softwares which complements open source software transalation, and improves the user experience of chinesization;
- increased UKID landing, ratings and reviews;
- powerful data center of the back-end server with unified management of the information of ratings and reviews, software and so on;
- increased Windows software alternative solutions on Ubuntu Kylin, to help Windows users to quickly find the common software;
- recommendation of common software at first boot.
- Ubuntu Kylin Developer Platform
- development navigation for beginners;
- quickly submission and management of software for developers;
- comprehensive audit and feedback for managers.
- Ubuntu Kylin Repository
- Ubuntu Kylin Repository based on Tianhe-2 cloud platform is more secure and efficient;
- provide Kingsoft WPS, Sogou IM, Kuaipan, Wiznote and other important software, so as to quickly download and use by domestic users.
Youker Series Tools
- We have developed a series of tools named after Youker, supporting you a better UE of daily office work and personal entertainment.
- Youker Assistant, a system management and configuration tool we developed for Linux users, could show system information, cleanup system garbage and beautify system. It makes your desktop more smooth, more user-friendly, and enriched with personality. In this release, we optimize the framework to reduce the resource usage, add file shredder, UKID SSO, Spanish supporting and configuration for Cinnamon, and improve the task manager.
- Youker Weather, upon the weather forecast information from NWS, as well as real-time PM 2.5 information of more than 100 cities, provides effective references for your daily life and travel. In this release, we deploy a back-end data server to make weather information more accurate and comprehensive. Then, we add an exception notification mechanism to solve some problems i.e. anomaly network. In order to add cities more simply and conveniently, users can search cities according to province, city and county levels without manual search. What's more, We adjust the automatic update rate, and the default rate is 15 minutes.
- Youker Calendar tightly integrates with the system time and provides users with a more convenient way to look up Chinese traditional holidays, solar terms and seasons, also includes solar calendar. In this release, it is upgraded to 1.0.0, with a brand new UI which is consistent with the system and other applications.
- Youker Fcitx, a powerful panel for Fcitx with four Ubuntu Kylin skins, is highly-efficient and stable and brings you with a different Chinese input experience. In this release, we move the IM list to top-level menu in Unity, and defaultly integrate the sub-project fcitx-qimpanel-configtool. There are also a number of bugs fixed, including updating translation, highlighting the candidate words, using mouse choose the candidate words and allowing multi-session process, etc. All of these changes will improve the user experience.
- Youker Search provides fast search of music, videos, images. It helps you find the latest and hottest Chinese entertainment resources from the mainstream service sites in China: Baidu, Youku and Sogou.
Cooperated Commercial Applications
- Sogou IM, Sogou Pinyin for Linux was developed by Ubuntu Kylin team and Sogou Company. It possesses the versatility of smart pinyin, auto-matching, diversified skins support and so on. Sogou Pinyin has been upgraded to 1.1.0 in Ubuntu Kylin 14.10, reducing memory consumption by 40%, adding the status bar, keypad, upgrading the dictionary database, improving skins supporting, optimizing the menu and settings, fixing almost 20 bugs and optimizing the performance and stability.
Xunlei Kuaipan, Kuaipan is the leading Cloud storage service in China and provides cross-platform file management. Being updated to V2.0, it supports new features such as UbuntuOne migration, synchronizing thread number setting and extra synchronizing folder. Several bugs are fixed while the UI layout, installation and uninstall process are also updated in this version.
- Kingsoft WPS, WPS is an international leading office suite with the function of editing text, making spreadsheets, doing presentations and so on. Ubuntu Kylin team and Kingsoft will continue to provide free versions of WPS for Ubuntu Kylin users.
Project page: http://www.launchpad.net/ubuntukylin
Bug tracker: http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntukylin
IRC Channel: irc.freenode.net #ubuntukylin-devel
- Chinese QQ Group:
- Developers: 125729037
- Users 1: 262012757
- Users 2: 306929327
- Users 3: 75642661
- Users 4: 398104181
- Users 5: 8010855
Weibo: click here
- Wechat: UK201304
Business Email: email@example.com
The Release ISO can be downloaded from here.
Only issues that are specific to Ubuntu Kylin are listed below. For issues related to Ubuntu itself, please refer to known issues in Ubuntu release notes.
- when I turn off online search option, it still display search results in Dash. (bug #1370353)
- the interface of partition existing the content need to be translated.(bug #1304410)
- All keyboard types in "Keyboard layout" are not localized during installation.(bug #1330410)
- the link of the release note is not UK intruduction in the welcome page.(bug #1330414)
- the number of themes in 14.10 32bit is different from that in 14.10 64bit.(bug #1381409)
- Ubuntu Kylin Theme miss when setting theme in system setting.(bug #1287032)
- The prompt in Encryption page during boot up need be translated to Chinese.(bug #1365925)
- In UEFI mode, default langauge in Ubiquity language chooser is not Simplified Chinese.(bug #1380981)
- During the system installing, the "skip" button displays abnormal after expanded the detail installing information.(bug #1362076)
- In the right corner menu, Ubuntu Kylin help was not translated.(bug #1368549)
- There are 2 wallpapers named "我自己" exist in system.(bug #1383108)
Thanks to everyone involved in the development of Ubuntu Kylin, the success of Ubuntu Kylin 14.10 would be the result of our joint efforts.
If you want to be a contributor of Ubuntu Kylin,please see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuKylin/NewContributorGuide, or visit our developer platform: developer.ubuntukylin.com.