Differences between revisions 5 and 16 (spanning 11 versions)
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|== What is iFolder? ==
According to the [http://www.ifolder.com iFolder Wiki]:
''iFolder is a file sharing solution for workgroup and enterprise environments. Using the iFolder client, users can share mutiple directories of files across a local area network with other users. Using the iFolder client coupled with either the iFolder Enterprise Server or Simple Server users can share across the internet with other users.''
To break that down, iFolder is:
* An application for sharing and backing up folders over several machines
* A project sponsored by [http://www.novell.com Novell]
* An application written in [http://www.go-mono.com Mono] C#
* A very useful application if you have a laptop or several machines!
Yes, there are other solutions which have existed but iFolder is very simple with an user to use front end. The current features of iFolder are:
* Workgroup Sharing - You can share files between several computers without needing a sever
* Enterprise Sharing - All files are stored on a server and synchronized between many computers
* Works on Mac OS X and Windows as well as many Linux distributions
* Gaim Intergration
* Nautilus Intergration
* Obviously, a Open Source project. However, the non-free database backend used for storing information is not Open Source which restricts it from being included with Ubuntu. A new backend which is Open Source compliant is being written.
== Using iFolder ==
So, you've looked around and decided you want to try iFolder. There is currently '''one''' solution at moment. You have to build iFolder from the source code (which isn't as difficult as it sounds. However, the Universe guys are working on iFolder packages. When these are available, this page will be updated.
=== From Packages ===
There are no packages available at the moment.
=== From Source (Recommended) ===
You can find out how to build iFolder and Simias from BuildingiFolder
|#REFRESH 0 http://help.ubuntu.com/community/iFolder|