What is Ubuntu Kylin ?
The objective of the Ubuntu Kylin project is to create a variant of Ubuntu that is more suitable for previous Windows users all over the world. We are committed to provide you with a simpler and more enjoyable experience out-of-the-box. For instance, by providing UKUI Desktop Environment which provide a ‘familiar Windows-style layout’ to windows. Ubuntu Kylin has been a formal member of the Ubuntu family, since Ubuntu Kylin 13.04. Now, we are working on 17.10.
What's new in Ubuntu Kylin 17.10
Beijing 20th October 2017: Ubuntu Kylin Team releases Ubuntu Kylin 17.10 opensource operating system(version code: Artful Aardvark) officially, updating system kernel, desktop environment, featured applications and cooperating software. In the mean time, Ubuntu 17.10/ Lubuntu 17.10 /Ubuntu Mate 17.10 and so on are releasing today.
This release is based on 4.13 linux kernel. prominent features:
- Asynchronous I/O improvements
- Ext4 support for a larger number of directory entries
- Ext4 support for bigger extended attribute values
- Kernel TLS acceleration
- Improved block layer and background writes error handling
- CIFS defaults to SMB3.0
- A whole new icon style
- Adjust control panel layout and merge lockscreen setting page
- Add searching result real time showing function to File Manager
- Add manage function for “Recent files” in File Manger
- Add “Open by terminal” and “unzip” function for File Manager
- Optimize boot speed for Start Menu
Driverless printing support is now available for IPP Everywhere, Apple AirPrint, Wi-Fi Direct, and Mopria devices.
Ubuntu Kylin Software Center
- Fix the bug about updating software source fail at first time
- Add edit function for setting interface and software source
- Speed up Software Center boot
- Modify Software Center detail interface
- Translate database edit and database software
Kylin Assistant(youker assistant)
- Add threadpool
- Modify system information page as dynamic loading
- Optimize capacity algorithm, network card and hard disk access method in system information
- Kylin Video utilizes MPV and MPlayer as background play engine. Its GUI front end is written by Gt5. Plus, it supports both x86 and ARM platform. As a powerful video player, Kylin Video supports most of the audio and video formats. Functions of shortcut keys/ preview/ screenshot/ sound settings/ subtitles and so on are provided. Users can even customize settings as they like.
Sogou Input Method for Linux is co-developed by Ubuntu Kylin team and Sogou Corp.. It is based on Fcitx framework and supports the same user experience with Windows, Mac version.
- Add input method cross platform lexicon synchronization(supports Linux、Windows、Mac、Android )
- Add custom phrase function
- Optimized UI
- Optimized input stability
- Fix several bugs
WPS is a desktop office suite, which has word/ sheet and slide processing functions. Ubuntu Kylin Teams works with Kinsoft to provide a free WPS for Ubuntu Kylin users. This version fixed several bugs, in the mean time, optimized media function. The version in this system is 10.1.0.6363:
- Fixed bug: right-click copy and cut file name in save as window, wps seized up and stopped
- Optimize WPS/ET module open and save efficiency, WPP open efficiency
- Fixed animation effect error bug
- Fixed font error bug
- Fixed print window error bug
Wendu Foxit Reader:
Wendun Foxit Reader is a PDF viewer based on Linux version of Foxit Reader. For Chinese users, it is easier to install and utilize. In Wendun Foxit Reader, not only PDF viewing is supported, but also bookmark, comment, print, etc.
Project page: http://www.launchpad.net/ubuntukylin
Bug tracker: http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntukylin
IRC channel: irc.freenode.net #ubuntukylin-devel
Mailing list: ubuntukylin-devel
- Chinese QQ Group:
- Developers: 125729037
- Users 1: 262012757
- Users 2: 306929327
- Users 3: 75642661
- Users 4: 398104181
- Users 5: 8010855
Business Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Release ISO can be downloaded from here.
Below is the list of prominent bugs that are existing in 17.10:
Touchscreen settings do not work in PC.(LP: #1692885)
For issues related to Ubuntu itself, please refer to the Ubuntu project at Launchpad.
Thanks to Anthony, Aron, Cyphermox and others who involving in the development of Ubuntu Kylin, the success of Ubuntu Kylin 17.10 would the result of our joint efforts. If you want to be a contributor of Ubuntu Kylin,see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuKylin/NewContributorGuide and https://developer.ubuntukylin.com.
ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuKylin (last edited 2017-10-19 12:49:51 by feng-kylin)