Lubuntu Natty Wallpaper
Community: Lubuntu / Mario Behling
Posted: 05 Dec 2010
Due: 17 Mar 2011
Assigned: Artwork Team
Packages affected: Lubuntu (Natty)
Lubuntu is an Ubuntu derivative which is targeted at "normal" PC and laptop users running on low-spec hardware. Such users may not know how to use command line tools, and in most cases they just don't have enough resources for all the bells and whistles of the "full-featured" mainstream distributions.
Although considered to be minimalistic when compared to other Linux graphical desktops, the emphasis is the wise use of resources with targeted functionality in order to maximize efficiency on older and new hardware platforms.
We want to express performance but not at the expense of design. The desired result is nimble, light, and adequate.
- Humming Bird
- high performance kites
- Ultra-light planes and hang gliders
Cars like the Smart Car
Some of these could be abstracted to shapes and colors.
The Lubuntu palette is blue and the desire of the community is to honor this palette in your design. The wallpaper will have to go well with the panels, windows and icons (as far as they appear on the desktop). Its use of color has to support the impression of lightness and performance, without becoming a distraction in day-to-day use.
The desired dimensions of the successful candidate should be 2560 x 1600 pixels. See Background Guidelines for additional information.
Flickr restricts the image format for free accounts to 1024 x 640 For the purposes of submissions this is acceptable.
- The successful design will be accepted in the Portable Network Graphics ( "png" ) and/or Scalable Vector Graphics ( "svg" ) format.
- The desired design must go well with the colors used in the interface.
Submissions must adhere to the Creative Commons ShareAlike 3.0 license.
- Attribution must be declared if the submission is based on another design.
- No logo and no text. Such elements attract too much attention. Constantly reminding the user of the name of the distribution does not communicate confidence.
- The mailing list will be used to facilitate design discussions.
Post submissions to the Lubuntu Natty Wallpaper Flickr group.
- The successful candidate will be chosen by members of the Lubuntu community.
- Define colors used in the panel, windows. Evaluate them in light of the intended message (lightness, performance). Suggest changes accordingly.
- Identify icons likely to appear on the desktop
- Create templates that allow to see proposals in context
- Select associations and metaphors and work on literal or abstract takes on them.