20090825

General Agenda Items and Proposals

PLEASE COME TO THE MEETINGS PREPARED.

This means:

  1. If there is an issue for the team, add it to the agenda.
  2. Agenda items then should be discussed "informally" on #ubuntufourms-beginners. 90 % of the discussion should have taken place before the meeting.
  3. Meetings are primarily for decision making/team votes. Read the agenda and discuss your thoughts before the meeting. 10 % (or less) of the discussion should happen during the meeting.
  4. Agenda items that require more then 5 minutes of discussion may need to be deferred.

Who

What

Rocket2DMn

Issuing the quiz to Padawans

Agenda discussion

Quiz:

  • Because of the large influx of new members, it is becoming too difficult for bodhi to issue the quiz to all of them. Most people would probably prefer to keep the quiz as a prerequisite, so we need to decide who should be able to issue the quiz. The Council? The padawan's master? Another FG? -- rocket2dmn 2009-08-02 02:31:01

Log

   1 [00:10] <nhandler> #startmeeting
   2 [00:10] <MootBot> Meeting started at 18:10. The chair is nhandler.
   3 [00:10] <MootBot> Commands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]
   4 [00:10] <nhandler> [LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings
   5 [00:10] <MootBot> LINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings
   6 [00:11] <nhandler> [TOPIC] Issuing the quiz to Padawans
   7 [00:11] <MootBot> New Topic:  Issuing the quiz to Padawans
   8 [00:11] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: Do you want to discuss this? Or should we defer it until bodhi is around?
   9 [00:11] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, we need to wait for bodhi on that one
  10 [00:12] <nhandler> [AGREED] Wait to discuss Issuing the quiz to Padawans until bodhizazen is present
  11 [00:12] <MootBot> AGREED received:  Wait to discuss Issuing the quiz to Padawans until bodhizazen is present
  12 [00:12] <nhandler> [TOPIC AOT]
  13 [00:12] <nhandler> [TOPIC] AOT
  14 [00:12] <MootBot> New Topic:  AOT
  15 [00:12] <nhandler> Any other Topics to discuss?
  16 [00:13] <yvan300> why are we the only ones participating?
  17 [00:13] <starcraftman> Don't really have anything to add....
  18 [00:13] <pleia2> I'm here, nothing to add :)
  19 [00:14] <y_lee> yeah same here
  20 [00:14] <popey> me too
  21 [00:14] <swoody> +1
  22 [00:14] <Rocket2DMn> I't pretty typical for late summer to be slow
  23 [00:14] <yvan300> ok
  24 [00:15] <nhandler> If there are no other topics to discuss, I would like to give a status update about some outstanding actions that I have been working on
  25 [00:15] <nhandler> [TOPIC] Status update on outstanding actions
  26 [00:15] <MootBot> New Topic:  Status update on outstanding actions
  27 [00:15] <nhandler> The ##beginners-classroom channel has now been dropped. All classroom sessions should take place in #ubuntu-beginners
  28 [00:15] <yvan300> nhandler: what do you mean?
  29 [00:16] <nhandler> yvan300: About what?
  30 [00:16] <pleia2> nhandler: wow, not in -classroom anymore?
  31 [00:16] <pleia2> er #ubuntu-classroom
  32 [00:16] <popey> thats surprising
  33 [00:16] <yvan300> nhandler: outstanding actions topic
  34 [00:16] <nhandler> pleia2: That is what I meant, sorry
  35 [00:16] <pleia2> oh good :)
  36 [00:16] <popey> :)
  37 [00:16] <popey> back to sleep pleia2 :)
  38 [00:16] <popey> (and I)
  39 [00:16] <pleia2> hehe
  40 [00:16] <starcraftman> oh ok, sounds fine then.
  41 [00:16] <nhandler> Thanks for catching that pleia2
  42 [00:17] <pleia2> np
  43 [00:17] <nhandler> yvan300: Outstanding actions are items from previous meeting that people were assigned to take care of
  44 [00:17] <yvan300> nhandler: link
  45 [00:17] <nhandler> yvan300: Meeting logs are here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings and the Team Reports are here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/TeamReports
  46 [00:18] <nhandler> [LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings
  47 [00:18] <MootBot> LINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings
  48 [00:18] <nhandler> [LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/TeamReports
  49 [00:18] <MootBot> LINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/TeamReports
  50 [00:19] <nhandler> I have also made some progress on the new mailing lists. An RT request has been filed, and it has been assigned to the appropriate owner. I will continue to follow up with this to ensure the list gets created
  51 [00:19] <nhandler> [ACTION] nhandler to follow up on new mailing list creation
  52 [00:19] <MootBot> ACTION received:  nhandler to follow up on new mailing list creation
  53 [00:20] <Rocket2DMn> cool
  54 [00:20] <nhandler> Since yvan300 has to go, lets do his membership vote
  55 [00:20] <nhandler> [TOPIC] yvan300 membership
  56 [00:20] <MootBot> New Topic:  yvan300 membership
  57 [00:20] <nhandler> yvan300: Care to say a few words about yourself?
  58 [00:21] <yvan300> well, i'm yvan pierre, a young lad who loves programming and helping others
  59 [00:22] <nhandler> yvan300: What have you been doing with the Beginners Team?
  60 [00:22] <yvan300> well since i began back in feburary, i spent my time getting to know the team, getting ck linked and helping other whenever i can in ubuntu-beginners-help
  61 [00:24] <yvan300> i also became a part of ubuntu-beginners-ynu so that i can become a better, more polite person over the internet :P
  62 [00:24] <nhandler> Anyone else have anything to say, or sould we vote?
  63 [00:25] <Rocket2DMn> bring on the vote!
  64 [00:25] <swoody> +1 Rocket2DMn
  65 [00:25] <nhandler> [VOTE] Should yvan300 become a member of the Ubuntu Beginners Team?
  66 [00:25] <MootBot> Please vote on:  Should yvan300 become a member of the Ubuntu Beginners Team?.
  67 [00:25] <MootBot> Public votes can be registered by saying +1/-1/+0 in the channel, private votes by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0  to MootBot
  68 [00:25] <MootBot> E.g. /msg MootBot +1 #ubuntu-meeting
  69 [00:25] <nhandler> +0
  70 [00:25] <MootBot> Abstention received from nhandler. 0 for, 0 against. 1 have abstained. Count is now 0
  71 [00:25] <swoody> +1
  72 [00:25] <MootBot> +1 received from swoody. 1 for, 0 against. 1 have abstained. Count is now 1
  73 [00:25] <tim_sharitt> +1
  74 [00:26] <Rocket2DMn> +1
  75 [00:26] <MootBot> +1 received from tim_sharitt. 2 for, 0 against. 1 have abstained. Count is now 2
  76 [00:26] <MootBot> +1 received from Rocket2DMn. 3 for, 0 against. 1 have abstained. Count is now 3
  77 [00:26] <y_lee> +1
  78 [00:26] <MootBot> +1 received from y_lee. 4 for, 0 against. 1 have abstained. Count is now 4
  79 [00:26] <starcraftman> +1
  80 [00:26] <MootBot> +1 received from starcraftman. 5 for, 0 against. 1 have abstained. Count is now 5
  81 [00:27] <nhandler> Any more votes?
  82 [00:28] <pleia2> +1
  83 [00:28] <MootBot> +1 received from pleia2. 6 for, 0 against. 1 have abstained. Count is now 6
  84 [00:28] <nhandler> [ENDVOTE]
  85 [00:28] <MootBot> Final result is 6 for, 0 against. 1 abstained. Total: 6
  86 [00:28] <nhandler> Congrats and welcome to the team yvan300 !
  87 [00:28] <yvan300> nhandler: well met , and thanks everyone :D
  88 [00:28] <Rocket2DMn> welcome yvan300 , good to have you on board
  89 [00:28]  * starcraftman gives yvan300 his own personalized stuffed squirrel with nut gun as present!
  90 [00:28] <y_lee> congrats yvan300
  91 [00:29] <yvan300> thank you Rocket2DMn y_lee and tkanks for the squirrel starcraftman :P
  92 [00:30] <nhandler> yvan300: You have been added to ~ubuntu-beginners on Launchpad. Be sure to subscribe to the mailing list. You will get voice in #ubuntu-beginners once someone with +f shows up. You are also entitled to a VoteBot factoid.
  93 [00:30] <starcraftman> yvan300: your welcome, welcome aboard and have fun.
  94 [00:30] <nhandler> [AGREED] yvan300 to join the Ubuntu Beginners Team
  95 [00:30] <MootBot> AGREED received:  yvan300 to join the Ubuntu Beginners Team
  96 [00:30] <starcraftman> now if only bodhi magically appeared, like when I mention Rocket2DMn....
  97 [00:31] <nhandler> So, anything else to discuss tonight?
  98 [00:31] <yvan300> nhandler: ok, i'm gonna check it out now, but anyway i have to go , may be back later, nite team :P
  99 [00:31] <swoody> bye yvan300 and welcome again :)
 100 [00:31] <nhandler> Good night yvan300, and congratulations!
 101 [00:31]  * Rocket2DMn appears
 102 [00:31] <yvan300> o/
 103 [00:32] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: hehe, ya can't appear if ya didn't dissapear first.... then its not magic!
 104 [00:32] <nhandler> Are there any FGs that have anything to share with the team?
 105 [00:34] <nhandler> Last call for anyone with topics to discuss. Otherwise, we will end this meeting.
 106 [00:35] <Rocket2DMn> i think thats it, thanks for hosting nhandler
 107 [00:35] <swoody> o/
 108 [00:35] <nhandler> Go ahead swoody
 109 [00:35] <swoody> was there something we needed bodhi here for? Are we going to restart the meeting if he does come online?
 110 [00:36] <nhandler> swoody: Rocket2DMn's agenda item needed bodhi. We will not restart the meeting though if he shows up later. We will just defer the item until the next meeting
 111 [00:36] <swoody> ok sounds good :)
 112 [00:37] <starcraftman> LOL!
 113 [00:37] <nhandler> Ah, here is bodhi_zazen now ;)
 114 [00:37] <swoody> haha
 115 [00:37] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: Want to do your agenda item?
 116 [00:37] <Rocket2DMn> ah, he mad eit
 117 [00:37] <Rocket2DMn> sure
 118 [00:37] <nhandler> [TOPIC] Issuing the quiz to Padawans
 119 [00:37] <MootBot> New Topic:  Issuing the quiz to Padawans
 120 [00:38] <bodhi_zazen> 'lo all
 121 [00:38] <bodhi_zazen> can't stay long =)
 122 [00:38] <Rocket2DMn> I think the general consensus is that BT members want padawans to continue to be given the ritual quiz
 123 [00:39] <Rocket2DMn> if bodhi_zazen wants to share his list of questions with some others authorized to give the quiz, that would take some burden off of him
 124 [00:39] <bodhi_zazen> orly ?
 125 [00:39] <nhandler> By "authorized", who did you have in mind Rocket2DMn ?
 126 [00:40] <Rocket2DMn> idk nhandler , whoever bodhi_zazen wants.  It doesn't have to be the council
 127 [00:42] <starcraftman> Well I'd have an opinion if I actually saw the quiz. In general, I've never thought quizes to be that essential though, usually its not hard to tell when people meet set requirements for membership.
 128 [00:42] <bodhi_zazen> well, I think the current process of mentoring is best
 129 [00:43] <Rocket2DMn> starcraftman, it's just sort of a rite of passage :)
 130 [00:43] <bodhi_zazen> I think it would be ideal if members would help the new ones integrate into the team
 131 [00:43] <swoody> +1 bodhi_zazen
 132 [00:43] <Rocket2DMn> agreed bodhi_zazen , but it would still be good to use the quiz to see how much people actually know
 133 [00:43] <bodhi_zazen> if that is happening the quiz is almost unnecessary, as it really does not add much
 134 [00:44] <swoody> I think a mentor would have a much better feel about a new candidate than a quiz could give us
 135 [00:44] <starcraftman> bodhi_zazen: I'm wiht you on mentoring being more important, as I mentioned in the UA meeting I think it could be improved a bit.
 136 [00:44] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: The quiz rarely ended up testing knowledge. It almost always tested personality. Although, we could change that
 137 [00:44] <bodhi_zazen> some members (mentors) have been kind enough to review posts on the forms, review wiki pages, etc
 138 [00:44] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, equally important :)
 139 [00:45] <bodhi_zazen> If the mentoring program can not be revised we need to re consider much, the whole membership process, re-writing wiki pages , etc
 140 [00:45] <bodhi_zazen> so it is not a small decision
 141 [00:47] <Rocket2DMn> ok, well i didnt mean for this to be a discussion about the whole membership process
 142 [00:47] <Rocket2DMn> I dont think the quiz and Padawan system are mutually exclusive, I think the system works great
 143 [00:48] <Rocket2DMn> I just didnt want the quiz to fall by the wayside, as it's been tradition for as long as I've been around
 144 [00:48] <bodhi_zazen> I thought we decided to abandon the quiz
 145 [00:48] <bodhi_zazen> If not, it is easy to do
 146 [00:49] <starcraftman> Rocket2DMn: Well nobody gave to me.
 147 [00:49] <nhandler> bodhi_zazen: We dropped it as a requirement for membership
 148 [00:49] <bodhi_zazen> I can post the questions if you would like
 149 [00:49] <bodhi_zazen> who would like to dish it out ?
 150 [00:49] <nhandler> Should it be another individual? Or a team/FG ?
 151 [00:49] <bodhi_zazen> that's pretty much abandoning it nhandler =)
 152 [00:50] <bodhi_zazen> nhandler: before we go there we would need to decide to bring the quiz back
 153 [00:51] <Rocket2DMn> starcraftman, i know, but we're all well aware about your skill level
 154 [00:51] <nhandler> [VOTE] Should we revive the quiz?
 155 [00:51] <MootBot> Please vote on:  Should we revive the quiz?.
 156 [00:51] <MootBot> Public votes can be registered by saying +1/-1/+0 in the channel, private votes by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0  to MootBot
 157 [00:51] <MootBot> E.g. /msg MootBot +1 #ubuntu-meeting
 158 [00:51] <Rocket2DMn> +1
 159 [00:51] <MootBot> +1 received from Rocket2DMn. 1 for, 0 against. 0 have abstained. Count is now 1
 160 [00:51] <bodhi_zazen> 0
 161 [00:52] <nhandler> bodhi_zazen: +0
 162 [00:52] <bodhi_zazen> +0
 163 [00:52] <MootBot> Abstention received from bodhi_zazen. 1 for, 0 against. 1 have abstained. Count is now 1
 164 [00:52] <nhandler> +1
 165 [00:52] <MootBot> +1 received from nhandler. 2 for, 0 against. 1 have abstained. Count is now 2
 166 [00:52] <y_lee> +1
 167 [00:52] <MootBot> +1 received from y_lee. 3 for, 0 against. 1 have abstained. Count is now 3
 168 [00:52] <starcraftman> +0
 169 [00:52] <MootBot> Abstention received from starcraftman. 3 for, 0 against. 2 have abstained. Count is now 3
 170 [00:52] <swoody> +1
 171 [00:52] <MootBot> +1 received from swoody. 4 for, 0 against. 2 have abstained. Count is now 4
 172 [00:52] <Snova> +0
 173 [00:52] <MootBot> Abstention received from Snova. 4 for, 0 against. 3 have abstained. Count is now 4
 174 [00:53] <nhandler> Any more votes?
 175 [00:54] <bodhi_zazen> No clear direction there, a trend =)
 176 [00:54] <nhandler> [ENDVOTE]
 177 [00:54] <MootBot> Final result is 4 for, 0 against. 3 abstained. Total: 4
 178 [00:54] <bodhi_zazen> masters can let me know when people are ready for a little quiz then
 179 [00:55] <bodhi_zazen> anyone interested in administering the quiz, let me know
 180 [00:55] <nhandler> Maybe we could discuss this on the mailing list?
 181 [00:55] <bodhi_zazen> I would probably like to watch one or two =)
 182 [00:55] <bodhi_zazen> mailing list is all but dead =)
 183 [00:55] <bodhi_zazen> almost no one uses it for "discussion"
 184 [00:55] <nhandler> Then send something to it and make it active ;)
 185 [00:55] <starcraftman> hehe
 186 [00:55] <nhandler> The few discussions we have had got pretty good responses
 187 [00:55] <nhandler> People are just hesitant to start them
 188 [00:56] <bodhi_zazen> If you like
 189 [00:56] <Snova> I have a few things I would say, but nothing I can say immediately; I shall probably post something later.
 190 [00:56] <bodhi_zazen> I am going to have to run
 191 [00:56] <Rocket2DMn> mailing lists dont have to be extremely active to be useful :)
 192 [00:56] <starcraftman> later bodhi_zazen
 193 [00:56] <Rocket2DMn> thanks bodhi_zazen , see you later
 194 [00:56] <bodhi_zazen> My only issue is to see they mentoring program revitalized
 195 [00:57] <bodhi_zazen> I think that is much more important, really
 196 [00:57] <starcraftman> bodhi_zazen: agreed.
 197 [00:57] <bodhi_zazen> IMO the quiz is secondary
 198 [00:57] <Rocket2DMn> agreed
 199 [00:57] <nhandler> Would someone like to take the action to start some discussion about this topic on the ML ?
 200 [00:57] <Rocket2DMn> is it needed nhandler ?
 201 [00:57] <Rocket2DMn> i can if you want
 202 [00:57] <nhandler> I think we should get some more discussion on this topic
 203 [00:58] <nhandler> Thanks Rocket2DMn
 204 [00:58] <nhandler> [ACTION] Rocket2DMn to start discussion on mailing list about quiz/mentoring program
 205 [00:58] <MootBot> ACTION received:  Rocket2DMn to start discussion on mailing list about quiz/mentoring program
 206 [00:58] <nhandler> Anything else to talk about, or can we end the meeting?
 207 [00:58] <starcraftman> nhandler: I'll add too later, I just remembered an idea I had at UA meeting. Sometime, wanna relax a bit first....
 208 [01:00] <nhandler> Ok, thanks for coming everyone. The next meeting will take place on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 23:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting
 209 [01:00] <nhandler> [ENDMEETING]
 210 [01:00] <nhandler> #ENDMEETING
 211 [01:00] <MootBot> Meeting finished at 19:00.
 212 [01:00] <starcraftman> thanks for chairing nhandler, appreciated of course :)
 213 


CategoryBeginnersTeam

BeginnersTeam/Meetings/20090825 (last edited 2009-08-26 00:26:41 by rocket2dmn)