What is Ubuntu Kylin ?
The objective of the Ubuntu Kylin project is to create a variant of Ubuntu that is more suitable for previous Windows users all over the world. We are committed to provide you with a simpler and more enjoyable experience out-of-the-box. For instance, by providing UKUI Desktop Environment which provide a ‘familiar Windows-style layout’ to windows. Ubuntu Kylin has been a formal member of the Ubuntu family, since Ubuntu Kylin 13.04. Now, we are working on 18.04.
What's new in Ubuntu Kylin 18.04
Ubuntu Kylin 18.04 LTS upgrades the components of desktop environment and some new features and resolves some issues, in order to provide a cozier and easier user experience, including:
Upgrade the former components and fix some bugs, providing a a easy a more cozy and easy user experience ,including:
Improvements on the start menu:
* Python 2 is no longer installed by default. Python 3 has been installed.
* Start menu provides two menu types and allows switching between Normal Menu & Category Menu.
* Start menu offers the Recent app number option in File History.
* Menu Property has been added to Start menu.
* Start menu allows users to edit the Category Menu.
Improvements on the panel:
* Panel now shows in transparency. * User can change taskbar height and icon size among Default, Medium & Large. * Workspace has been added to the right-click menu of panel. * Panel now supports customizing icons appear on the taskbar. * Redesign task layout when opening too many tabs on the panel. * Simplify the right-click menu of panel. * Users can add application to panel. * Monitor can be opened from the right-click menu of panel. * Application tabs also show in transparency and highlight when the pointer on them.
Improvements on UKUI Indicators Applet:
* The Calender changes its color along with the theme. * UKUI Indicators Applet also offers customizing icons appear on the it.
Improvements on Peony:
* Add shortcuts to Desktop & start menu are provided in the drop-down menu. * User can set the screen resolution by right click on the desktop. * Peony offers a Find duplicate file option in the drop-down menu. * The icon size changes with resolution. * Peony support some common plug-ins, such as Open in terminal, Compress, Decompress and so on.
Improvements on Settings:
* Settings provides two time formats and allows switching between 12-hour & 24-hour. * Set display brightness has been added to Settings. * Support the singleton pattern. * Redesign the interface style. * Settings restores the Shortcut settings.
Improvements on other software: * A brand new themes, updating more than 20 thousand icons. * A new window manager replaces the older one to enhance the support for 3D display and 3D hardware acceleration. * Users can switch between clear-test password and ciphertext password on the login interface. * Capitals switch display is pre-installed. * UKUI Window Switch (alt+tab to browse through all windows). * Kylin Display Switch(super+P to switch among four display modes). * New ask window of Shutdown replaces the older one.
Besides much improvements on original software, Burner and Electronic Wechat have been added to the default normal install.
Ubuntu Kylin Software Center
Ubuntu Kylin Software Store includes Ubuntu Kylin Software Center, Ubuntu Kylin Developer Platform and Ubuntu Kylin Repository. Its interface is simple but with powerful function and it supports both Ubuntu and Ubuntu Kylin Repositories. It is especially convenient for quick installation of Chinese characteristic software developed by Ubuntu Kylin team.
Kylin Assistant(youker assistant)
Kylin Assistant, a system management and configuration tool developed for Linux users, could show system information, cleanup system garbage and beautify system. It makes your desktop more smooth, more user-friendly and enriched with personality. In this release, it has been updated to 3.0.0. * Qt 4 is no longer installed by default. Qt 5 has been installed. Python 2 is no longer installed by default. Python 3 has been installed. * Kylin System Monitor has been added to Kylin Assistant, for managing the processes, monitoring the resources and checking the file systems. * Kylin Assistant supports a multi-threading scan in Cleanup. * Kylin Assistant displays shadowing. * Resolve some known issues.
- Kylin Video utilizes MPV and MPlayer as background play engine. Its GUI front end is written by Gt5. Plus, it supports both x86 and ARM platform. As a powerful video player, Kylin Video supports most of the audio and video formats. Functions of shortcut keys/ preview/ screenshot/ sound settings/ subtitles and so on are provided. Users can even customize settings as they like.
Burner is customized according to Brasero, supporting X86 and Arm platforms, modifying the interface according to user's habits, simplifying and optimizing the burn and burn process. For the common optical drive, it is suitable for fast recording and recording, supporting CD, DVD-R and DVD+R format CDs. At the same time, it provides user friendly graphical interface, which is convenient for daily file recording and improves work efficiency.
Electronic Wechat, a more powerful open source WeChat client replaces the former Client of Wechat for web. * Right-click menu of Wechat on UKUI Indicators Applet is supported. * Ctrl + F can be used to search contacts. * Emoji now show in the app. * Users are allowed preventing others from recalling messages.
Sogou Input Method for Linux is co-developed by Ubuntu Kylin team and Sogou Corp.. It is based on Fcitx framework and supports the same user experience with Windows, Mac version.
WPS is a desktop office suite, which has word/ sheet and slide processing functions. Ubuntu Kylin Teams works with Kinsoft to provide a free WPS for Ubuntu Kylin users. This version fixed several bugs, in the mean time, optimized media function.
Wendu Foxit Reader:
Wendun Foxit Reader is a PDF viewer based on Linux version of Foxit Reader. For Chinese users, it is easier to install and utilize. In Wendun Foxit Reader, not only PDF viewing is supported, but also bookmark, comment, print, etc.
Project page: http://www.launchpad.net/ubuntukylin
Bug tracker: http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntukylin
IRC channel: irc.freenode.net #ubuntukylin-devel
Mailing list: ubuntukylin-devel
- Chinese QQ Group:
- Developers: 125729037
- Users 1: 262012757
- Users 2: 306929327
- Users 3: 75642661
- Users 4: 398104181
- Users 5: 8010855
Business Email: email@example.com
The Release ISO can be downloaded from here.
Below is the list of prominent bugs that are existing in 18.04:
For issues related to Ubuntu itself, please refer to the Ubuntu project at Launchpad.
Thanks to Anthony, Aron, Cyphermox, Simon and others who involving in the development of Ubuntu Kylin, the success of Ubuntu Kylin 18.04 would the result of our joint efforts. If you want to be a contributor of Ubuntu Kylin,see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuKylin/NewContributorGuide and https://developer.ubuntukylin.com.