Release Notes for Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver
Please see BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes for general Ubuntu release notes.
Ubuntu Studio shares some of the desktop features with Xubuntu. Please see Xubuntu release notes for additional information.
Getting Ubuntu Studio Bionic Beaver (18.04)
Download a Disk Image
Instructions for burning the image to a DVD or USB flash drive can be found on the Burning ISO Howto.
Check MD5SUM for the downloaded ISO
Changes for this release (compared to Artful Aardvark)
- Ardour DAW upgraded to version 5.12.0
- qtractor DAW upgraded to version 0.8.5
- Yoshimi synthesizer upgrated to version 1.5.6
- Blender upgraded to version 2.79
- GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) upgraded to version 2.8.22
- no changes
- kdenlive upgraded to version 4:17.12.3
- openshot upgraded to version 2.4.1
Current Version Of Main Multimedia Packages
A problem has been discovered related to this bug in xfce4-volumed where a user's hardware volume keys will not respond after restarting PulseAudio, such as when starting and stopping Jack. Only workaround is running the following in a terminal:
killall xfce4-volumed && xfce4-volumed
- Timidity (not installed by default) has been known to cause problems with audio configurations on Ubuntu and will lock-up ALSA.
Ubuntu Studio uses the same XFCE desktop environment as the official Xubuntu release, and thus, may be affected by some of the same issues. This is also true of the core packages of the mainline Ubuntu release. You can see their release notes here (Xubuntu) and here (Ubuntu)
Ubuntu Studio Bionic Beaver (18.04) will be supported for 9 months until February 2019. If you need Long Term Support, it is recommended you use Ubuntu Studio Xenial 16.04 LTS instead.
Ways to contact the Ubuntu Studio Team are listed here