Sunday, January 2nd, 2011, 7:00pm (1900) PST
Team image sharing options -- lyz 2011-01-02 23:50:36
Discuss thread here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2010-December/thread.html#1518
And proposal here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2011-January/001538.html
If you have anything else you'd like to add to the agenda, or want to make some changes, please feel free to edit it. Please include an explanation of your item if it's not immediately apparent.
Our meetings are held for about 90 minutes every other Sunday at 7:00pm (19:00) PST / 03:00 UTC in our IRC channel, #ubuntu-us-ca on freenode. All interested people are welcome to join us. For questions or help connecting, check out the InternetRelayChat page or use the Web client linked from the Contact page.
1 18:58 < jdeslip> OK ----- Lets Begin ----- 2 18:58 < pleia2> I can't be here for long, nasty headache is making looking at my screen quite unpleasant :) 3 18:59 < jdeslip> Since pleia2 can't be here long we are going to start with her two agenda items and do announcements at the end 4 18:59 < jdeslip> The first topic is scale9x planning 5 18:59 < jdeslip> https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x/ 6 19:00 < pleia2> I just added this because I'm going to request the conference pack from canonical this week, and that reminded me that we need to flesh out our wiki page and start seeing who is going 7 19:00 < grantbow> cool 8 19:00 < jdeslip> We have a basic wiki page here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/Scale9x 9 19:00 < pleia2> I bought my scale ticket, will be buying my plane ticket soon (hopefully tomorrow), I know some others are carpooling down 10 19:00 < sn9> me! me! me! 11 19:00 < jdeslip> If you are planning to come and work at the booth, please add your name there. Also, we are looking for volunteers to step up and flesh out that page 12 19:01 < jdeslip> (I'm hoping to get in on some norcal carpool action) 13 19:01 < grantbow> I'm not sure if I can go yet. 14 19:01 < pleia2> also, who should we send the conference pack to? I'm flying so I'm clearly not a good choice 15 19:01 < pleia2> we can see who down in LA is going, probably send to someoen down there 16 19:02 < jdeslip> If you haven't registered you can use the code that eric set up for us to get 50% off UBUCA 17 19:02 < erichammond> What is the schedule for setting up the booth? 18 19:02 < sn9> only 50? 19 19:02 < grantbow> erichammond: thanks! 20 19:02 < jdeslip> sn9: do you have a better code? 21 19:02 < sn9> no 22 19:03 < sn9> but last year the cinf pack included tickets 23 19:03 < sn9> *conf 24 19:03 < grantbow> well, then... 25 19:03 < jdeslip> erichammond: I am not sure about the setup schedule yet 26 19:04 < erichammond> I'm trying to figure out how early I would have to show up if I volunteered to bring anything. I'm not an early morning person. 27 19:04 < jdeslip> can anyone from last year tell us what the schedule was like? 28 19:04 * MarkDude will be carpooling down 29 19:04 < MarkDude> jdeslip, for the floor? 30 19:04 < grantbow> last year's wiki page is quite detailed 31 19:05 < MarkDude> Attending the sessions is hard due to so many to choose from 32 19:06 < MarkDude> for the floor, it would be much easier this year if people could sort some details around differing sessions 33 19:06 < pleia2> ok, sounds like we need to get some questions answered these next few days 34 19:06 < grantbow> MarkDude: eric asked about setup 35 19:06 < jdeslip> Looks like setup was was 9am on saturday 36 19:06 < pleia2> who exactly got our booth, it is confirmed right? 37 19:06 < sn9> grantbow: where is he? 38 19:06 * MarkDude talked to Gareth a while ago 39 19:06 < MarkDude> meaning months 40 19:07 < pleia2> MarkDude: want me to follow up with him? 41 19:07 < MarkDude> Yes 42 19:07 < pleia2> ok, will do 43 19:07 < pleia2> I will add details to the wiki once I confirm 44 19:07 < MarkDude> He said we were included - since we were so nice 45 19:07 < pleia2> :D 46 19:07 < pleia2> so I'll also ask about setup time and everything 47 19:07 * MarkDude will bring Penguin suit 48 19:07 < pleia2> yay! 49 19:07 < jdeslip> Sounds good 50 19:08 < MarkDude> most likely I may be doing other stuff and cant help much 51 19:08 < pleia2> no worries 52 19:08 < pleia2> next agenda item? we can pick up scale stuff throughout the week 53 19:08 < MarkDude> As always i am willing to talk or speak about some sort of crap 54 19:08 < MarkDude> :) 55 19:08 < pleia2> hehe 56 19:08 < jdeslip> Ok, so, again, add your name to the wiki page if you are coming. And if you have time, flesh out the page.... 57 19:08 < jdeslip> Moving on. 58 19:08 < jdeslip> I think I'll just let pelia2 take this one 59 19:09 < jdeslip> err pleia2 60 19:09 < pleia2> ok, so next agenda item is the team images sharing options 61 19:09 < pleia2> we discussed this on list since our last meeting, and based on responses I came up with this proposal: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2011-January/001538.html 62 19:09 < pleia2> it gives us local, under our control copies, PLUS picasca/flickr which is good for displaying and from a social media angle 63 19:10 < pleia2> thoughts? 64 19:11 < jdeslip> I like the plan. 65 19:11 < erichammond> I don't know that I'm going to be taking many photos for the group, but my preference would be to have my photos be under my control (Flickr, Smugmug, ...) with some sort of sharing with the group similar to how planet republishes blog entries. 66 19:11 < erichammond> Not sure if anything like that exists. 67 19:12 < jdeslip> Once the pics are dumped somewhere safe and controlled and future proof then flickr/picasa adds a nice social layer 68 19:12 < MarkDude> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2424094/Demographics%20Cali%20Team.png 69 19:12 < pleia2> unfortunately the problem we've had is people having them under their control on blogs and flickr have a tendancy of disappearing 70 19:12 < pleia2> their blog moves, their free number of flickr photos rotate them out of public view... 71 19:12 < grantbow> both is better :-) 72 19:12 * MarkDude thinks we should take the media and have it linked so folks can check it from Facebook, etc 73 19:13 < jdeslip> You can always have your own picasa/flickr account as well 74 19:13 < MarkDude> that pic is from the Cali Facebook insights 75 19:13 < Eureka> wiki: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/Scale9x edited 76 19:13 < jdeslip> You don't *have* to also contribute the pics to the group pool. But, you have the option. 77 19:13 < pleia2> yeah, I'd say this is the option for people who want to contribute to the group pool 78 19:13 < pleia2> erichammond: I'd say for those photos which stay under personal control, you add a link to the event wiki pointing to them 79 19:14 < pleia2> jdeslip: does picasca have rss feeds? 80 19:14 < jdeslip> pleia2: I *think* so 81 19:14 < pleia2> flickr does, we could always run a second planet for photos too, depending on how flexible the feeds are 82 19:15 < jdeslip> Yep, it does. 83 19:15 < pleia2> cool, we should look into that 84 19:15 < jdeslip> That would be pretty cool 85 19:16 < pleia2> so have a team flickr/picasca, then maybe see if we can have feeds for individuals who would rather keep them under their own control, add them all the the image planet 86 19:16 < pleia2> and I'll configure the upload place on the linode so we can store our local copies, just give me a nudge if you want access 87 19:16 < pleia2> so now the question is... flickr or picasca? 88 19:17 < pleia2> *picasa 89 19:17 < jdeslip> - maybe we can add a message encouraging people to add them to the local directory when they add to flickr/picasa for logevity's sake 90 19:17 < pleia2> I don't care either way 91 19:17 < pleia2> jdeslip: yeah 92 19:18 < jdeslip> I don't care a whole lot. But, I do prefer picasa because I use it already. (I'm sure others already use flickr) 93 19:18 < jdeslip> Also, we did say we were going to make an effort to use Google apps 94 19:18 < sn9> doesn't need to be either. just upload the images to the wiki 95 19:18 -!- Irssi: #ubuntu-us-ca: Total of 37 nicks [1 ops, 0 halfops, 0 voices, 36 normal] 96 19:18 < pleia2> I prefer flickr because I'm familiar with the interface, but picasa is probably fine 97 19:18 < jdeslip> aaditya: have an opinion? 98 19:19 < pleia2> no google app engine option for this at this time 99 19:19 < erichammond> Do either have easy automated upload from Ubuntu? 100 19:19 < pleia2> we spoke before I sent out the ideas list 101 19:19 < grantbow> I prefer flickr given a choice 102 19:19 < sn9> works for 'pedia 103 19:19 < erichammond> (command line) 104 19:19 < pleia2> erichammond: both can upload easily from fspot 105 19:19 < pleia2> there is probably a CLI option anyway, they have APIs 106 19:19 < pleia2> s/anyway/too 107 19:19 < jdeslip> the google cli stuff lets you upload to picasa 108 19:19 < jdeslip> (from command line) 109 19:19 < grantbow> sn9: timtowtdi but we are talking about organizing in a central place 110 19:19 < sn9> google cli? 111 19:20 < erichammond> I looked for cli for Flickr a while back (years?) and didn't find anything. 112 19:20 < pleia2> sn9: the ubuntu wiki does not have unlimited space, it's ok to upload a couple photos per event but it's a huge strain on the wiki which is already limping along 113 19:20 < jdeslip> (http://code.google.com/p/googlecl/ - it is really sweet in general) 114 19:21 < pleia2> they semi-routinely clear out big/unlinked/outdated wiki attachments, so its not a permanent solution anyway 115 19:21 < grantbow> good to know 116 19:21 < pleia2> grantbow: you know how they are, they probably haven't done it in a year :) but it is a concern to be noted 117 19:22 * grantbow nods 118 19:22 < jdeslip> If this is a really just a vote now about picasa-flickr perhaps we should vote on the list. Or... just vote now officially ;) 119 19:23 < jdeslip> (but there aren't too many folks here tonight) 120 19:23 < pleia2> maybe just bring it on list, I'd also like to look into erichammond's comment about the possiblity that there isn't a flickr CLI upload option 121 19:24 < erichammond> It's not clear to me what Flickr/Picasa would be used for. If it's for the photo planet, then perhaps multiple services with an RSS feed would fit in. 122 19:24 < erichammond> Gotta run. Taking the kids to "Tangled". 123 19:24 < grantbow> looks like a cli exists 124 19:24 < pleia2> erichammond: loco.ubuntu.com has a display images option that works with flickr or picasca 125 19:25 < pleia2> plus it gives us a way to go back and browse past event photos, etc 126 19:25 < grantbow> erichammond: have fun! 127 19:25 < pleia2> Tangled is great, enjoy! 128 19:25 < grantbow> one way to flickr cli: http://lifehacker.com/262311/automatically-upload-a-folders-photos-to-flickr 129 19:25 < jdeslip> OK - so we will vote on the list in the next week or so. 130 19:25 < pleia2> does picasca have image tags like flickr does? 131 19:25 < pleia2> sound good 132 19:26 < pleia2> I am going to go take care of my head now :) 133 19:26 < jdeslip> ya, it does - name tags 134 19:26 < jdeslip> ok, feel better 135 19:26 < grantbow> pleia2: take care :-) 136 19:26 < BrightAmbition> hi 137 19:27 < jdeslip> OK, so those were the only official agenda items. Does anyone have something to add? Or should we do the announcements? 138 19:27 < MarkDude> Add Facebook to the overall plan 139 19:27 < sn9> why? 140 19:28 < jdeslip> MarkDude: What do you mean by that? 141 19:28 * MarkDude suggests that is how a big % of the people I deal with interact 142 19:28 < grantbow> an important site, but still a walled garden 143 19:28 < MarkDude> professional types 144 19:28 < MarkDude> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2424094/Demographics%20Cali%20Team.png 145 19:28 < MarkDude> That is from the page 146 19:29 < MarkDude> Having done this at ZA, we had 1000s of eyeballs seeing what we did 147 19:30 < MarkDude> Social media worked well to get some folkks involved 148 19:30 < BrightAmbition> Wow 149 19:30 < grantbow> it is an important consideration 150 19:30 < MarkDude> We should take the pics, however we have them, and allow people to consume them on FB 151 19:30 < BrightAmbition> You guys need more chicks there 152 19:30 < MarkDude> NOT require ANYONE to go there 153 19:31 < jdeslip> Is there a way to link pics from flickr/picasa to the facebook page? 154 19:31 < MarkDude> That stat stands out 155 19:31 < MarkDude> jdeslip, yes there is 156 19:31 < jdeslip> Then we should do it I think 157 19:32 < BrightAmbition> hmm.... 158 19:32 < jdeslip> Sounds like the best use of the facebook page that I have heard so far :) 159 19:33 < jdeslip> Any other comments or items of discussion? 160 19:33 < grantbow> MarkDude: is it easy and automatic to link pics from flickr/pacasa to the facebook page? 161 19:33 < MarkDude> jdeslip, maybe you can write a disclaimer about FB being a walled garden 162 19:33 < jdeslip> grantbow: he said yes above 163 19:34 < grantbow> doing it is one thing, easy and automatic are often another 164 19:34 < MarkDude> One is easier than the other I believe 165 19:34 < grantbow> good enough, thanks 166 19:34 < jdeslip> MarkDude: People know what facebook is... If they choose to use it anyway, so be it. No need to preach against facebook... on facebook. 167 19:34 * MarkDude will find the detail, just wanted to make sure the group was copacetic :D 168 19:35 < grantbow> thanks for mentioning this 169 19:35 < MarkDude> jdeslip, that would be for our site - where we have a link 170 19:35 < MarkDude> FOSS is great - when we dont do it, we should acknowledge it 171 19:35 < jdeslip> That might be reasonable 172 19:35 < MarkDude> Not that we are bad, just point out ogg is better than mp3 173 19:36 < MarkDude> one sentence or two, keeps us honest IMHO :) 174 19:37 < jdeslip> OK, I think when put the link up you can be in on deciding the language 175 19:37 < jdeslip> (as well as anyone else that cares) 176 19:37 < jdeslip> OK, lets move to announcements 177 19:37 < BrightAmbition> Why can't it be more than 1 language?? idk just saying. Maybe not a good thing idk 178 19:38 < grantbow> contributions of translations welcomed 179 19:38 < sn9> BrightAmbition: you can translate english to california-speak, ok? 180 19:38 < jdeslip> BrightAmbition: Language for what? 181 19:38 < BrightAmbition> I guess i'm trying to be social but i don't think it's working so i'ma shut up 182 19:38 < BrightAmbition> lol 183 19:39 < jdeslip> Anyone have any announcements? 184 19:39 * BrightAmbition just nods and waves 185 19:39 < jdeslip> We forgot to mention the date of scale9x before: it is Feb 25-27 186 19:40 < sn9> good to know 187 19:40 * BrightAmbition is lost & doesn't wanna bother asking what is being talked about 188 19:40 < sn9> i will be going several days earlier and leaving several days later, driving down with BrightAmbition and possibly whomever else might tolerate that 189 19:41 < BrightAmbition> tolerate what?? 190 19:41 < BrightAmbition> ?? 191 19:41 < jdeslip> 11.04 alpha2 is being released Feb 3. (and banshee should be default then) 192 19:41 < sn9> BrightAmbition: being in L.A. several extra days 193 19:41 < BrightAmbition> Oh ok 194 19:41 < BrightAmbition> Sn9: did you even plan that yet like tickets & stuff?? 195 19:41 < sn9> (and being around us for the drive down) 196 19:42 < grantbow> BrightAmbition: We are doing announcements before we close the formal part of the meeting I think. 197 19:42 < BrightAmbition> oh ok 198 19:42 < icarus_> banshee is standern in 11.04 huh 199 19:42 < jdeslip> Any more announcements? 200 19:42 < jdeslip> Ok, this concludes the meeting. Thanks for coming everyone. Next meeting is two weeks from today - Jan 19th.