Sunday, October 9th, 2011, 7:00pm (1900) PT

Original Agenda

  1. California Team Leadership Elections -- david.wonderly 2011-10-07 19:23:46

  2. Oneiric Release. Parties anyone? -- david.wonderly 2011-10-07 19:23:46

If you have anything else you'd like to add to the agenda, or want to make some changes, please feel free to edit it. Please include an explanation of your item if it's not immediately apparent. Agenda items added within 24 hours of the start of the meeting may be postponed until the next meeting. Adding your item well in advance helps everyone collaborate and avoids last minute surprises.

Our meetings are held for about 60 minutes every other Sunday at 7:00pm (19:00) PDT / 02:00 UTC in our IRC channel, #ubuntu-us-ca on freenode. All interested people are welcome to join us. For questions or help connecting, check out the InternetRelayChat page or use the Web client linked from the Contact page.

   1 [02:05] <pleia2> #startmeeting
   2 [02:05] <pleia2> Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/11October09
   3 [02:06] <Faqtotum> new smartphones running ubuntu would be nice
   4 [02:06] <pleia2> [TOPIC] California Team Leadership Elections
   5 [02:06] <Mark_> anyone else here play bf3?
   6 [02:06] <philipballew> we have 2 already
   7 [02:06] <pleia2> so Darkwing posted this late last month: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2011-September/001819.html
   8 [02:07] <pleia2> the leadership terms of our current leaders expire this month, so we're looking for more folks to step up and help with leadership
   9 [02:08] <pleia2> so mostly this is just a reminder :)
  10 [02:08] <pleia2> [TOPIC] Oneiric Release. Parties anyone?
  11 [02:08] <philipballew> we need a Ubuntu cake if there is a party
  12 [02:09] <Faqtotum> will there be live ocelots?
  13 [02:09] <pleia2> the release of 11.10 is on Thursday and so far we don't have any parties registered in the loco directory or announced anywhere
  14 [02:09] <Mark_> yes
  15 [02:09] <pleia2> philipballew: do you have a venue?
  16 [02:10] <philipballew> pleia2, I can probably convince Darkwing to do a Friday night release party at the place we do our ubuntu hours at. so yes. there is a very good likelyhood of a party
  17 [02:10] <pleia2> philipballew: cool :)
  18 [02:10] <philipballew> but I would not do a weekday myself
  19 [02:10] <philipballew> hope thats cool with everyone
  20 [02:10] <pleia2> I can't help with anything in San Francisco this week because I'm out of town (in Philadelphia right now, it's after 10PM!)
  21 [02:11] <pleia2> instead I'm giving an 11.10 talk at a lug out here, and going to the philly release party ;)
  22 [02:11] <eps> Why is there a counter that says release in 8 days?
  23 [02:12] <philipballew> nice pleia2 ! you give good talks
  24 [02:12] <pleia2> eps: what counter? this is the official one: http://www.ubuntu.com/community/countdown
  25 [02:12] <philipballew> its this Thursday?
  26 [02:12] <pleia2> philipballew: yep
  27 [02:13] <eps> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/OneiricRelease
  28 [02:13] <pleia2> eps: oh I see (was taking a while to load, bad wifi...)
  29 [02:13] <philipballew> wow, time come by fast. They pushed it out faster this year I think
  30 [02:13] <pleia2> lookethanks, I'll submit a bug report
  31 [02:15] <philipballew> I updated to 11.10 yesterday. unity works better.
  32 [02:15] <philipballew> though all the hacks I did to it, now have to be re-done
  33 [02:15] <pleia2> anyone else have anything to add about release parties or release events?
  34 [02:15] <eps> We should have some. :-)
  35 [02:16] <Faqtotum> i still need to update to 11.04
  36 [02:16] <pleia2> eps: can you lead up something in the bay area?
  37 [02:17] <eps> Do we have anyone else?
  38 [02:17] <pleia2> grantbow and I usually do stuff, but we're both out of town, so we're a bit short on people to organize
  39 [02:17] <Faqtotum> i second the motion to draft eps for the release party leadership
  40 [02:17] <philipballew> If there is any meeting in ca, it would need to be done asap so a email can get put out
  41 [02:18] <pleia2> philipballew: agreed
  42 [02:18] <eps> I don't think I have enough lead time to put something together *and* get the word out.
  43 [02:18] <philipballew> we can always make it in 2 weeks
  44 [02:19] <pleia2> yeah, we can do something later in the month
  45 [02:19] <philipballew> say that we pushed it out later so everyone could upgrade first
  46 [02:19] <Faqtotum> it doesn't have to be _on_ release day
  47 [02:19] <pleia2> we've done installfests a couple weeks after release before
  48 [02:19] <eps> And that does give time to replicate discs, etc.
  49 [02:19] <philipballew> a thursday party would not be the best attendance probably. but i dont know much
  50 [02:20] <Darkwing> Wow. Sorry guys
  51 [02:20] <Darkwing> Got caught up with the kids.
  52 [02:20] <pleia2> well I'll send a follow-up email to the list reminding people that they can plan things later out of they're busy this week
  53 [02:20] <pleia2> hey Darkwing
  54 [02:21] <pleia2> [TOPIC] Announcements, etc
  55 [02:21] <pleia2> anyone else have anything before we wrap up?
  56 [02:23] <eps> Ubuntu Hours, perhaps?
  57 [02:24] <pleia2> no SF ubuntu hour this month (since I'm traveling so much, and no one else has planned one)
  58 [02:24] <pleia2> Darkwing, philipballew, are the San Diego ubuntu hours going to keep happening?
  59 [02:24] <Darkwing> Are
  60 [02:24] <Darkwing> Yes rather.
  61 [02:24] <Darkwing> We are scheduled for twice a month. First and third tuesdays
  62 [02:26] <pleia2> are there plans to add an organizer to each one to make sure that even if one person cancels, the hour still happens or an announcement is made?
  63 [02:26] <philipballew> Darkwing, is doing a good thing with them. We have a ubuntu user who owns the coffee shop and its in the downtown area so many people can come
  64 [02:26] <pleia2> unfortunately if anyone showed up last time kdub had to leave halfway through so they wouldn't have found anyone there, which reflects poorly on the team :\
  65 [02:27] <Darkwing> Oh, Libertopia is a no go. I can't afford to foot the bill and bad timing with being kicked out of my apt for termite tenting.
  66 [02:27] <pleia2> can you remove it from the loco directory and make an announcement?
  67 [02:27] <Darkwing> Yup.
  68 [02:28] <philipballew> yeah, i'm gonna do some hour advertising in the next few weeks
  69 [02:29] <pleia2> philipballew: can you commit to attending?
  70 [02:30] <philipballew> Yes, I come every time, except I had a history test that next day so I had to study. I will commit, do not worry.
  71 [02:30] <philipballew> also for the hour, I'm gonna need some 11.10 cd's
  72 [02:30] <pleia2> ok, great :)
  73 [02:30] <pleia2> we've already put in our request for them, hopefully they'll get here before I leave for DUS
  74 [02:30] <pleia2> UDS
  75 [02:30] <bkerensa> pleia2:
  76 [02:30] <bkerensa> pleia2: Got a question you might be able to help with :D
  77 [02:31] <pleia2> bkerensa: we're just wrapping up a meeting, can it wait a couple minutes?
  78 [02:31] <bkerensa> oh sure (my bad)
  79 [02:31] <philipballew> ok, you can send them to me or Darkwing , doesnt matter
  80 [02:31] <pleia2> I'll announce it when I receive them, so you guys can work out who I should ship them to :)
  81 [02:32] <philipballew> sounds good with me
  82 [02:32] <pleia2> ok, anything else before we finish?
  83 [02:34] <pleia2> alright, thanks everyone :)
  84 [02:34] <pleia2> #endmeeting

CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/11October09 (last edited 2011-10-15 15:33:11 by lyz)