Sunday, September 11th, 2011, 7:00pm (1900) PT


  1. No agenda items

If you have anything else you'd like to add to the agenda, or want to make some changes, please feel free to edit it. Please include an explanation of your item if it's not immediately apparent. Agenda items added within 24 hours of the start of the meeting may be postponed until the next meeting. Adding your item well in advance helps everyone collaborate and avoids last minute surprises.

Our meetings are held for about 60 minutes every other Sunday at 7:00pm (19:00) PDT / 02:00 UTC in our IRC channel, #ubuntu-us-ca on freenode. All interested people are welcome to join us. For questions or help connecting, check out the InternetRelayChat page or use the Web client linked from the Contact page.

   1 [02:03] <pleia2> #startmeeting
   2 [02:03] <pleia2> who all is here?
   3 [02:03] <gua> i'm here!
   4 [02:04] <akk> o/
   5 [02:05] <greg-g> I'm partially here, might go for a walk with the pregnent wife soon-ish
   6 [02:05] <pleia2> :)
   7 [02:05] <pleia2> ok, we don't actually have anything on the agenda
   8 [02:06]  * pleia2 waits for wiki to load
   9 [02:06] <pleia2> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/11September11 empty agenda :)
  10 [02:06] <pleia2> but we have had some events lately
  11 [02:06] <pleia2> DWonderly: you about?
  12 [02:07] <pleia2> philipballew wrote a writeup about the san diego jam last weekend: https://philipballew.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/ubuntu-global-jam-san-diego-wrap-up/
  13 [02:07] <greg-g> cool! add it to a team report! :)
  14 [02:08] <pleia2> yep
  15 [02:08] <grantbow> :)
  16 [02:08]  * greg-g didn't do that as they happened for Michigan, and had a big backlog of reports to do with reapproval next week
  17 [02:08] <pleia2> we've done them monthly for the past couple of years
  18 [02:08] <gua> is there a designated time for comments/questions from random people (like me)?
  19 [02:09] <pleia2> and we add posts like this to the project page after the event so making team reports are easy: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/OneiricGlobalJam
  20 [02:09] <pleia2> gua: since we have no agenda this meeting is pretty free-form, anyone can make comments/questions any time :)
  21 [02:10] <gua> ah alright
  22 [02:10] <pleia2> today up in berkeley we did the solano stroll, just plugged in my camera to get the pictures ;)
  23 [02:10] <pleia2> gave out over 100 CDs, lots of people at the booth all day, lots of fun, too much funnel cake
  24 [02:10] <grantbow> \o/
  25 [02:10] <gua> that sounds good
  26 [02:10] <greg-g> pleia2: how many -us-ca people were there?
  27 [02:11] <rww> o/
  28 [02:11] <rww> (here, not there)
  29 [02:12] <philipballew> is here!
  30 [02:13] <pleia2> greg-g: jyo, jdeslip at least, the rest were mostly berkeleylug
  31 [02:14] <greg-g> cool!
  32 [02:14] <grantbow> did Ian make it?
  33 [02:14] <pleia2> yep :)
  34 [02:14] <pleia2> we're going to play 3ds at the next berkeleylug
  35 [02:15] <pleia2> hehe
  36 [02:15] <grantbow> cool
  37 [02:15] <pleia2> anyone have announcements, comments, questions, other things?
  38 [02:15] <pleia2> san francisco ubuntu hour on wednesday evening: http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-california/1209/detail/
  39 [02:16] <greg-g> dang, I'll be out of town
  40 [02:16] <grantbow> a week from Thurs I am hosting a Global Jam in Kenya to jump start the wiki.ubuntu.com/KenyanTeam - virtual support would be most appreciated. Details to follow.
  41 [02:16] <grantbow> err, not Global Jam, Ubuntu Hour
  42 [02:16] <grantbow> one step at a time
  43 [02:16] <gua> Is anyone taking part in the Stanford ai-class, ml-class or db-class and has heard of Bay Area meetup plans for study groups or would be interested in attending study groups?
  44 [02:17] <akk> I'd be interested in a study group for ai or ml ... haven't heard of any plans for one.
  45 [02:17] <greg-g> grantbow: nice.
  46 [02:17] <makushimu> I had applied for that online AI class, really looking forward it.
  47 [02:18] <grantbow> online? excellent
  48 [02:18] <akk> grantbow: online and free, offered by stanford. ai-class.com
  49 [02:18] <gua> I've heard second-hand stuff about a study group at Hacker Dojo, but if there's demand i'd prefer to have one a bit closer to the East Bay (where I am). I was thinking the places where the DV LUG people meet might be good, or Noisebridge in SF could also work.
  50 [02:18] <akk> tens of thousands of students taking it worldwide :)
  51 [02:19] <pleia2> my boss wants me to take the db class, but I can't imagine when I'd have time :\
  52 [02:19] <akk> I'm closer to Hacker Dojo than either of those places, myself.
  53 [02:19] <gua> grantbow: http://www.ai-class.com/    http://www.ml-class.com/    http://www.db-class.com/
  54 [02:20] <grantbow> gua: dvlug.org and noisebridge.net are both weekly, sounds good
  55 [02:20] <gua> makushimu: Would you be interested in attending a study group?
  56 [02:20] <makushimu> Oh, I didn't know about db and ml classes, thank you for sharing!
  57 [02:20] <locodir-user> IS THERE A LIST OF UBUNTU USERS
  58 [02:20] <gua> grantbow: Is there somethng weekly related to AI at Noisebridge?
  59 [02:20] <grantbow> locodir-user: no
  60 [02:20] <locodir-user> IN CALIFORNIA
  61 [02:20] <pleia2> locodir-user: please turn off your caps lock :)
  62 [02:21] <makushimu> gua: I would love to try
  63 [02:21] <grantbow> gua: not sure about AI
  64 [02:21] <locodir-user> ok thank youy
  65 [02:21] <grantbow> gua: at noisebridge
  66 [02:21] <akk> A list of all Ubuntu users in California would be a very very long list. :)
  67 [02:21] <gua> grantbow: Ah, well related to any of the classes really then?
  68 [02:21] <pleia2> I'd say the wednesday linux night class at noisebridge from 6-8 would be happy to have the study group people join them
  69 [02:21] <pleia2> everyone pretty much does their own thing there anyway
  70 [02:21] <gua> makushimu: alright. fyi there are subreddits for each class too. http://www.reddit.com/r/aiclass    http://www.reddit.com/r/mlclass    http://www.reddit.com/r/dbclass
  71 [02:22] <pleia2> s/class/thing
  72 [02:22] <pleia2> :)
  73 [02:22] <grantbow> pleia2: +1
  74 [02:22] <makushimu> gua: Most excellent, thank you!
  75 [02:22] <gua> I was thinking of attending a few local meeting things like DV LUG and bringing up the study group topic.
  76 [02:22] <locodir-user> i see
  77 [02:22] <gua> pleia2: that's a good idea to bring it up then
  78 [02:22] <pleia2> yeah :)
  79 [02:22] <locodir-user> well im very new to this ubuntu  its alot of work
  80 [02:23] <pleia2> ok, anything else?
  81 [02:24] <gua> Any ideas for groups besides DV LUG and the various Noisebridge groups that might be interested in those classes?
  82 [02:24] <pleia2> my solano stroll pictures are now up (I'll add the good ones to the california flickr too): http://www.flickr.com/photos/pleia2/sets/72157627650086116/
  83 [02:24] <pleia2> gua: you might mention it to the sf-lug.org folks
  84 [02:25] <locodir-user> the only reason i got into this system and im glad i have is that somoene in ontario california that is really good with the system has been hacking me for 2 years
  85 [02:25] <gua> pleia2: Ah, good idea.
  86 [02:25] <locodir-user> and im still in luimbo
  87 [02:26] <locodir-user> limbo
  88 [02:26] <pleia2> ok, I think we can wrap up the meeting
  89 [02:26] <akk> locodir-user: If you have specific questions, you might want to wait 'til the meeting is over, then ask -- people are usually happy to help.
  90 [02:27] <pleia2> anything else before we finish? :)
  91 [02:27] <locodir-user> wow great yes i need help lol
  92 [02:27] <pleia2> thanks for coming gua, nice to see new faces!
  93 [02:27] <gua> That was a fast meeting.
  94 [02:27] <pleia2> no agenda will do that
  95 [02:27] <philipballew> good meeting though gua :)
  96 [02:27] <gua> pleia2: Sure! I figured people here would be into AI and things like that.
  97 [02:27] <pleia2> #endmeeting

CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/11September11 (last edited 2011-09-14 03:54:34 by lyz)