Sunday, May 6th, 2012, 7:00pm (1900) PT

Original Agenda

  1. Ubuntu Developer Summit: May 7-11
  2. Booth at Maker Faire: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2012-May/001954.html

If you have anything else you'd like to add to the agenda, or want to make some changes, please feel free to edit it. Please include an explanation of your item if it's not immediately apparent. Agenda items added within 24 hours of the start of the meeting may be postponed until the next meeting. Adding your item well in advance helps everyone collaborate and avoids last minute surprises.

Our meetings are held for about 60 minutes every other Sunday at 7:00pm (19:00) PST / 02:00 UTC in our IRC channel, #ubuntu-us-ca on freenode. All interested people are welcome to join us. For questions or help connecting, check out the InternetRelayChat page or use the Web client linked from the Contact page.

   1 [02:00] <pleia2> #startmeeting
   2 [02:00] <pleia2> who all is here for the meeting? :)
   3 [02:00] <akk> o/
   4 [02:00] <jdeslip> !
   5 [02:00] <jtatum> o/
   6 [02:01] <pleia2> Agenda; https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/12May6
   7 [02:01] <pleia2> so first up, UDS starts tomorrow! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/UDS-Q
   8 [02:01] <eps> o/
   9 [02:02] <pleia2> we've gotten very good feedback to our public transportation page, so thanks to everyone who helped out there :)
  10 [02:02] <pleia2> eps: I've already given out 3 Clipper cards :)
  11 [02:03] <pleia2> refills are working well
  12 [02:03] <akk> Giving blank clipper cards was a great idea!
  13 [02:03] <akk> And the transit page is excellent too.
  14 [02:03] <eps> they're good for 20 years, so don't toss them
  15 [02:03] <pleia2> indeed!
  16 [02:04] <pleia2> I also mentioned that in my email, people should keep them for their next visit :)
  17 [02:04] <pleia2> anyone have any comments, questions, etc about UDS?
  18 [02:04] <pleia2> I went to the hotel last night and this, nice place, and you can't beat how close it is to bart
  19 [02:04] <akk> Is there a gathering point for ubuntu-cal people? Place to get "I'm a local" badges or offer to help out with anything?
  20 [02:05] <pleia2> akk: nope, it's mostly just "find pleia2"
  21 [02:05] <pleia2> I'll have all of them in my bag
  22 [02:05] <akk> pleia2 is the embodiment of ubuntu-us-ca :)
  23 [02:05] <pleia2> lol
  24 [02:05] <pleia2> I try :)
  25 [02:06] <pleia2> http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-q/2012-05-07/
  26 [02:06] <jtatum> Hehe
  27 [02:06] <pleia2> is the schedule for tomorrow, as you can see the intro and keynote is at 9AM
  28 [02:06] <pleia2> you'll want to get there a little before that so you can go to registration and get your badge
  29 [02:06] <jdeslip> Is registration only tomorrow?
  30 [02:07] <pleia2> jdeslip: nah, they'll have the table open all week
  31 [02:07] <pleia2> it's also where they'll set up the shop (they bring over goods from the canonical store to sell at UDS, very useful)
  32 [02:08] <pleia2> and you can get any other information you may need by asking the folks there
  33 [02:08] <DonkeyHotei> akk: www.511.org
  34 [02:08] <DonkeyHotei> akk: http://www.511.org
  35 [02:09] <eps> Do we need to register for each session we want to attend? I see participants lists on the schedule.
  36 [02:10] <pleia2> feel free to grab me at UDS if you have questions too, I can usually help, or know someone who does
  37 [02:10] <pleia2> eps: no, you can just show up, the people "registered" are those who are subscribed to the blueprint (that means you'll get emailed each time it's updated throughout the next 6 months)
  38 [02:10] <DarkwingUDS> pleia2: you still here at the hotel?
  39 [02:10] <pleia2> DarkwingUDS: nah, I came home
  40 [02:11] <DarkwingUDS> pleia2: ahhhh. Yeah, I'm up in my room charging my phone. :D
  41 [02:11] <pleia2> :)
  42 [02:11] <pleia2> ok, see those of you who can make it at UDS this week!
  43 [02:11] <pleia2> next topic...
  44 [02:11] <pleia2> Booth at Maker Faire: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2012-May/001954.html
  45 [02:11] <pleia2> jdeslip: have anything to say about this one?
  46 [02:12] <pleia2> (and yes, we're getting them sorted disk-wise :))
  47 [02:12] <jdeslip> Ya. The maker faire is pretty awesome event. A lot of do-it-yourself type people there. So, I think it is a good audience to show off Linux too
  48 [02:13] <jdeslip> The booth is called "Bay Area Linux Groups" and I inviting people from a few different to come
  49 [02:13] <jdeslip> But, obviously we want a good showing from Ubuntu-CA see that is what people often associated Linux with these days
  50 [02:14] <jdeslip> I should be able to get James, Aaditya and Philip in for free.
  51 [02:14] <jdeslip> I'll send out some details in the next day or so. Please think of cool/crafty things to demo...
  52 [02:15] <DonkeyHotei> eps: you got my e-mail, right?
  53 [02:15] <pleia2> great, thanks jdeslip :)
  54 [02:15] <jdeslip> Ya, I guess that is about it on Maker Faire
  55 [02:15] <eps> DonkeyHotei: haven't checked yet ... I've been out doing errands
  56 [02:16] <pleia2> ok, anyone else have anything?
  57 [02:17] <pleia2> oh! if anyone wants to help me with the tourism night on Wednesday I'd love to have the help :)
  58 [02:17] <pleia2> we're going bart > embarcadero > ferry building > street car to pier 39 > fisherman's wharf > ghirardelli square > cable cars back to powell (probably)
  59 [02:18] <pleia2> grabbing dinner somewhere along the way
  60 [02:18] <jtatum> pleia2: I will ping work and see if I can swing that
  61 [02:18] <eps> Tough call ... that, or the BAD dinner or free pizza and beer
  62 [02:18] <pleia2> jtatum: ok cool, we're planning on leaving Oakland on BART at 7PM, you can meet us anywhere
  63 [02:19] <pleia2> sessions end at 6PM, 7 gives them time to head up to their rooms to wash up/change/relax for a few minutes
  64 [02:19] <pleia2> I can't imagine our group will be more than 20 people, but even handling that will be interesting :)
  65 [02:20] <jledbetter> cool
  66 [02:20] <jtatum> Maybe I can convince jledbetter to join too :)
  67 [02:20]  * pleia2 will be putting together a pretty PDF for the tour tonight
  68 [02:20] <pleia2> yes yes!
  69 [02:21] <jledbetter> Wednesday is hard :(
  70 [02:23] <pleia2> anyone have anything else?
  71 [02:24] <eps> Maybe you can convince UDS attendees to buy Partimus earrings
  72 [02:24] <pleia2> ah yes, I'll be carrying 8 pairs with me!
  73 [02:24] <pleia2> and the business cards for the shop, in case people want to buy later
  74 [02:24] <pleia2> so you're welcome to send people to me if you find anyone who wants a pair
  75 [02:25] <jtatum> Neat!
  76 [02:25] <jledbetter> I dig that they have silver ones now.
  77 [02:25] <pleia2> yeah :)
  78 [02:26] <pleia2> ok, thanks everyone
  79 [02:26] <pleia2> #endmeeting

CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/12May6 (last edited 2012-05-18 02:33:49 by lyz)