Sunday, November 18th, 2012, 7:00pm (1900) PT


  1. No agenda items

If you have anything else you'd like to add to the agenda, or want to make some changes, please feel free to edit it. Please include an explanation of your item if it's not immediately apparent. Agenda items added within 24 hours of the start of the meeting may be postponed until the next meeting. Adding your item well in advance helps everyone collaborate and avoids last minute surprises.

Our meetings are held for about 60 minutes every other Sunday at 7:00pm (19:00) PT / 03:00 UTC in our IRC channel, #ubuntu-us-ca on freenode. All interested people are welcome to join us. For questions or help connecting, check out the InternetRelayChat page or use the Web client linked from the Contact page.

   1 [03:00] <pleia2> #startmeeting
   2 [03:00] <darthrobot`> Meeting started Mon Nov 19 03:00:14 2012 UTC.  The chair is pleia2. Information about MeetBot at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
   3 [03:00] <darthrobot`> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
   4 [03:00] <pleia2> ok, who all is here for the meeting? :)
   5 [03:00] <philipballew> here
   6 [03:01] <grantbow> aloha
   7 [03:01]  * eps is not entirely here
   8 [03:01] <josheboy> I am
   9 [03:01] <pleia2> great, welcome everyone!
  10 [03:02] <pleia2> #link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/12November18
  11 [03:02] <darthrobot`> Title: [CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/12November18 - Ubuntu Wiki]
  12 [03:02] <pleia2> our agenda is empty :)
  13 [03:02] <pleia2> I guess I can give some updates
  14 [03:02] <pleia2> I've shipped out CDs to San Diego, Lake Forest and Los Angeles
  15 [03:02] <pleia2> s/CDs/DVDs
  16 [03:03] <eps> :-)
  17 [03:03] <pleia2> I haven't heard back from the silicon valley folks about DVDs, but hopefully they'll find time to reply so I can get some down there to San Jose and Mt View
  18 [03:03] <philipballew> so I was able to hand out several of these already
  19 [03:04] <pleia2> we do have some 12.04 CDs left over too, this week I'll go through them to make sure our wiki is up to date, they're LTS so it's ok to have leftovers :)
  20 [03:04] <pleia2> philipballew: yay!
  21 [03:04] <grantbow> LTS = good for newbies
  22 [03:04] <josheboy> <--- newbie
  23 [03:04] <pleia2> and servers, companies, etc ;)
  24 [03:04] <philipballew> We here in San Diego had our Ubuntu hour this Thursday and had 3 people besides myself. I have a few lts here I still hand out as well.
  25 [03:05] <pleia2> josheboy: nice to have some new faces here :) welcome
  26 [03:05] <josheboy> Thanks much :)
  27 [03:05]  * philipballew high fives josheboy 
  28 [03:05] <kallecarl> Hello, new to the meeting want to invite Ubuntu folks to http://www.qtdeveloperdays.com/northamerica/ Dec 5 -7. Jono confirmed tonight that he will be on the panel about open source tablets
  29 [03:05] <darthrobot`> Title: [Qt Developer Days]
  30 [03:05] <pleia2> kallecarl: cool, thanks!
  31 [03:05] <pleia2> kallecarl: is there an announcement you can forward to the mailing list?
  32 [03:05] <kallecarl> list address
  33 [03:05] <grantbow> nice
  34 [03:05] <kallecarl> ?
  35 [03:05] <kallecarl> grantbow: howdy
  36 [03:05] <pleia2> kallecarl: ubuntu-us-ca@lists.ubuntu.com
  37 [03:06] <kallecarl> pleia2: not really an announcement I guess
  38 [03:06] <kallecarl> just the URL for the conference
  39 [03:06] <kallecarl> will do though
  40 [03:06] <pleia2> kallecarl: ok, thanks
  41 [03:06] <eps> Isn't it horrifically expensive to attend?
  42 [03:06] <grantbow> nice adjective
  43 [03:07] <pleia2> hehe
  44 [03:08] <grantbow> Santa Clara with a free three day pass? Not too horrific.
  45 [03:08] <pleia2> another thing I wanted to mention is how we plan events
  46 [03:09] <philipballew> kallecarl, If you are advertising it here, can LoCo members here get in for free or a good price?
  47 [03:09] <kallecarl> eps: there are a few complimentary passes
  48 [03:09] <pleia2> we've gone from having pretty strict rules to having essentally none, which some people are taking advantage of now - to the extent of sometimes not even telling the rest of the team they're having what they call Ubuntu California events ;(
  49 [03:09] <pleia2> :(
  50 [03:09] <kallecarl> please email me at carlsymons@gmail.com
  51 [03:09] <philipballew> pleia2, This is a problem.
  52 [03:10] <pleia2> so today I created a wiki page to help people understand the minimum requirements for hosting an event (and akk helped me clean it up): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/HowTo
  53 [03:10] <darthrobot`> Title: [CaliforniaTeam/Projects/HowTo - Ubuntu Wiki]
  54 [03:10] <pleia2> this is now linked on our Projects page
  55 [03:10] <grantbow> sounds good
  56 [03:10] <philipballew> +1
  57 [03:10] <pleia2> should be helpful for for all of us really :) we forget how many resources we have!
  58 [03:11] <grantbow> true
  59 [03:11] <pleia2> it's a wiki, so please feel free to make edits as needed, that's really my first stab at it
  60 [03:11] <pleia2> I'm hoping this will be enough to solve the problem of rogue events ;)
  61 [03:12] <eps> Speaking of Projects ...
  62 [03:13] <eps> SCALE 11x -- http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale11x/
  63 [03:13] <darthrobot`> Title: [SCALE 11x]
  64 [03:13] <pleia2> oh gosh, that's coming up fast
  65 [03:13] <eps> Hello!
  66 [03:13] <pleia2> I'm skipping this year :(
  67 [03:14] <eps> Philip?
  68 [03:14] <philipballew> eps, Ill be there
  69 [03:14] <philipballew> I can run the booth for the loco if needed
  70 [03:14] <philipballew> since I live down here somewhat and not
  71 [03:14] <eps> So, I guess it goes on the Projects page.
  72 [03:14] <pleia2> yeah
  73 [03:14] <pleia2> can copy the 10x page probably and adjust accordingly :)
  74 [03:15] <pleia2> also follow up with nhaines to see if there will be an Ubucon too
  75 [03:15] <philipballew> probably nhaines and iheartubuntu will help with all the people from their hours
  76 [03:15] <grantbow> another Ubucon would be great
  77 [03:15] <pleia2> grantbow: yeah :)
  78 [03:15] <eps> Find some discount codes for attendees, and figure out what you need from people who are interested in volunteering
  79 [03:15] <philipballew> I'm gonna set up a page for hotel/ride sharing for people so were all not booked in out own hotels if we dont want to
  80 [03:16] <pleia2> philipballew: that's great!
  81 [03:16] <grantbow> eps: Volunteering? Thanks for that ;-)
  82 [03:16] <pleia2> let me know if you have any questions logistically, I am not sure who is working with Gareth to arrange the booth
  83 [03:16] <philipballew> the hilton is somewhat $$ compared to ones a few blocks away as well. and there is parking around for people driving from sf
  84 [03:17] <eps> grantbow: Would you prefer ... conscription?
  85 [03:17] <pleia2> I just can't attend because I have too much happening this year (changing jobs, getting married)
  86 [03:17]  * philipballew still wants to see a "scale or bust" sign on a car
  87 [03:17] <pleia2> turns out you can't actually take 2 months a year off for conferences and honeymoon... ;)
  88 [03:18] <philipballew> :)
  89 [03:18] <mikestewart> honeymoon at SCaLE!
  90 [03:18] <mikestewart> :-P
  91 [03:18]  * mikestewart back to luring
  92 [03:18]  * mikestewart back to lurking
  93 [03:18] <philipballew> I have a good thing to mention
  94 [03:19] <philipballew> Our loco member dave (iheartubuntu) came out of the woodwork this week to pull a victory for Ubuntu/linux with that netflix app he helped make. So whenever you see the news about that, know it was made possible from someone who came from our loco.
  95 [03:19] <pleia2> philipballew: oh yes, good catch
  96 [03:19] <grantbow> excellent!
  97 [03:19] <pleia2> mikestewart: getting married in April :) and I'd like to go somewhere more exciting than LA ;)
  98 [03:19] <josheboy> oh wow. that's pretty cool
  99 [03:20] <pleia2> http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa-for-netflix-desktop-app.html
 100 [03:20] <darthrobot`> Title: [PPA for Netflix Desktop App | iheartubuntu]
 101 [03:20] <pleia2> the Ubuntu Developer Summit will probably happen during my honeymoon, but he wasn't thrilled with that honeymoon idea
 102 [03:21] <philipballew> I want to see a plenary session where you get married by markdude pleia2
 103 [03:21] <eps> Do we know where the next UDS will be held?
 104 [03:21] <pleia2> philipballew: hahahah
 105 [03:21] <pleia2> eps: nope :\
 106 [03:22] <grantbow> hopefully Oakland
 107 [03:22] <pleia2> ok, anyone else have anything?
 108 [03:22] <grantbow> How about shirts? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/Shirts
 109 [03:22] <darthrobot`> Title: [CaliforniaTeam/Projects/Shirts - Ubuntu Wiki]
 110 [03:22] <pleia2> grantbow: oh yes! what were your thoughts here?
 111 [03:23] <kallecarl> pleia2: i didn't sign up for the mailing list. Just mailed the address you gave
 112 [03:23] <kallecarl> the QtDevDays announce
 113 [03:23] <pleia2> kallecarl: thanks, I'll let it through
 114 [03:23] <grantbow> Let's have an art contest again and get some more printed.
 115 [03:23] <philipballew> grantbow, I like this idea. If we get them made up by scale we can pass them out there
 116 [03:23] <grantbow> Canonical colors have changed so at least updating colors will be good.
 117 [03:24] <grantbow> both Canonical and Community colors
 118 [03:24] <eps> No more aubergine? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say!
 119 [03:24] <pleia2> so are we proposing a full logo redesign
 120 [03:24] <philipballew> who will print them grantbow ?
 121 [03:24] <grantbow> yes
 122 [03:24] <kallecarl> at LinuxCon, there were the coolest shirts. Not screened like a big hunk of plastic but rather dyed into the shirt
 123 [03:24] <pleia2> eps: yes aubergine, but we haven't updated our stuff for even that change...
 124 [03:24] <kallecarl> drivemg.com is the contact
 125 [03:24] <pleia2> eps: our logo is still the old old old ubuntu logo
 126 [03:24] <grantbow> our colors for the old shirt were pre-aubergine
 127 [03:25] <philipballew> IDEA! Hold a contest from the ml to get design ideas, and the winner gets a free shirt.
 128 [03:25] <eps> Is there a URL with design guidelines?
 129 [03:25] <pleia2> philipballew: we can't really promise that :( no one to $$$$ for the shirts
 130 [03:25] <grantbow> If we design it we'll find someone to print it. Maybe the person that did it last time.
 131 [03:25]  * mikestewart can't imagine much more *exciting* than LA ... but ya, wouldn't honeymoon here (or SCaLE) either.
 132 [03:25] <philipballew> true.
 133 [03:25] <pleia2> (unless you're volunteering :))
 134 [03:25] <grantbow> Ernest Rogers
 135 [03:26] <grantbow> we can ask him
 136 [03:26] <pleia2> mikestewart: maybe exotic is the right word (boo more california ;))
 137 [03:26] <philipballew> pleia2, I can look into printing them at a shop near me here if I have some funds
 138 [03:26] <josheboy> I live in LA, and I took my very recent honeymoon far away from here, haha. And no laptops either. It was very refreshing :p
 139 [03:26] <philipballew> so if people pre order them, but not sure if people would want that
 140 [03:26] <grantbow> no reason we can't do multiple printings too
 141 [03:26] <philipballew> agreed
 142 [03:26] <grantbow> though probably not necessary yet
 143 [03:26] <pleia2> ok, so can someone take an action item to put together a wiki page for this new design contest and organize it on list?
 144 [03:26] <philipballew> yes
 145 [03:26] <pleia2> josheboy: congrats!
 146 [03:27] <grantbow> I can organize it
 147 [03:27] <pleia2> ok great :)
 148 [03:27] <grantbow> and do a wiki page
 149 [03:27] <josheboy> pleia2: Thanks. And congrats on the near future nuptuals :)
 150 [03:27] <pleia2> josheboy: thank you :)
 151 [03:27] <grantbow> +1
 152 [03:27] <pleia2> wow, this was a productive meeting!
 153 [03:27] <pleia2> anything else?
 154 [03:27] <grantbow> not bad for a blank agenda
 155 [03:27] <pleia2> indeed
 156 [03:27] <eps> Other than not ordering purple and orange M&Ms, what other disasters should I know about?
 157 [03:28]  * mikestewart lives in long beach.  
 158 [03:28] <grantbow> eps: please propose a design in the contest that is soon to come.
 159 [03:28] <pleia2> eps: do they have purple?
 160 [03:28] <mikestewart> did you guys firgure out whos working with Gareth on SCaLE booth?
 161 [03:28] <philipballew> mikestewart, come down to san diego!
 162 [03:28] <josheboy> mikestewart: I live in North Hollywood
 163 [03:29] <pleia2> philipballew: will you contact Gareth to see who he has down for the ubuntu booth contact?
 164 [03:29] <mikestewart> philipballew, san diego is an awesome place to visit.  as is sf bay area.
 165 [03:29] <philipballew> pleia2, will do
 166 [03:29] <pleia2> great
 167 [03:29] <philipballew> mikestewart, all the more reason to come here and say hello
 168 [03:29] <philipballew> and get a free ubuntu cd
 169 [03:29] <mikestewart> philipballew, I wouldn't mind being backup help for the booth
 170 [03:29] <eps> pleia2: www.mymms.com (and yes, they are appropriate for weddings)
 171 [03:30]  * mikestewart is an organizer of #drupal-la  
 172 [03:30] <philipballew> mikestewart, yeah, Lets do that.
 173 [03:30] <mikestewart> we'll have a booth, too
 174 [03:30] <grantbow> Oh, I burned some 12.04 and special 12.10 CD size images. I will let the list know when I get a chance to test the 12.10 CDs.
 175 [03:30] <pleia2> eps: just proposed pink m&m wedding favors and got a funny look, then he goes "whatever you want, hon"
 176 [03:30] <pleia2> mikestewart: cool
 177 [03:30] <mikestewart> philipballew, where are you in sandiego?
 178 [03:30] <philipballew> alright. I gtg get back to my homework
 179 [03:30] <philipballew> ah
 180 [03:31] <philipballew> mikestewart, Point Loma
 181 [03:31] <pleia2> grantbow: cool, thanks
 182 [03:31] <kallecarl> pleia2: whatever you want, hon...already trained well
 183 [03:31] <josheboy> "whatever you want, hon" is the perfect soon-to-be groom answer
 184 [03:31] <pleia2> josheboy: +1
 185 [03:31] <pleia2> kallecarl: too
 186 [03:31] <pleia2> :)
 187 [03:31]  * mikestewart is not sure how close that is to stone brewery  -- a major reason to get in the car for the SD trip.  besides legoland for the kids
 188 [03:31] <pleia2> ok, we can wrap up this meeting :)
 189 [03:31] <grantbow> great meeting! thanks for chairing pleia2
 190 [03:31] <pleia2> thanks everyone
 191 [03:31] <kallecarl> thank you
 192 [03:31] <pleia2> #endmeeting

CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/12November18 (last edited 2012-11-23 03:52:23 by lyz)