Sunday, August 25th, 2013, 7:00pm (1900) PT

Original Agenda

  1. None.

If you have anything else you'd like to add to the agenda, or want to make some changes, please feel free to edit it. Please include an explanation of your item if it's not immediately apparent. Agenda items added within 24 hours of the start of the meeting may be postponed until the next meeting. Adding your item well in advance helps everyone collaborate and avoids last minute surprises.

Our meetings are held for about 60 minutes every other Sunday at 7:00pm (19:00) PT / 02:00 UTC in our IRC channel, #ubuntu-us-ca on freenode. All interested people are welcome to join us. For questions or help connecting, check out the InternetRelayChat page or use the Web client linked from the Contact page.

   1 [02:00] <pleia2> #startmeeting
   2 [02:00] <darthrobot> Meeting started Mon Aug 26 02:00:07 2013 UTC.  The chair is pleia2. Information about MeetBot at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
   3 [02:00] <darthrobot> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
   4 [02:00] <pleia2> ok, meeting time!
   5 [02:00] <pleia2> hi there philipballew and eps :)
   6 [02:00] <pleia2> anyone else here for the meeting?
   7 [02:01] <philipballew> hello
   8 [02:01] <eps> hi-hi
   9 [02:01] <pleia2> #link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/13August25
  10 [02:01] <darthrobot> Title: [CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/13August25 - Ubuntu Wiki]
  11 [02:01] <pleia2> empty agenda :)
  12 [02:01] <pleia2> however! I do have a couple things
  13 [02:01] <pleia2> there are some events coming up in September that I mailed the list about: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2013-August/002270.html
  14 [02:01] <darthrobot> Title: [[Ubuntu-US-CA] Upcoming global events in September]
  15 [02:01] <philipballew> I saw the email
  16 [02:02] <pleia2> should have emailed sooner, it may be too late for folks to plan anything exciting :(
  17 [02:02] <pleia2> but we may be able to latch on to someone else's Software Freedom Day if anyone knows of any events
  18 [02:02] <philipballew> I am going to be going to a Free Software day  we can latch onto maybe
  19 [02:02] <philipballew> http://devfest.gdg.mx/
  20 [02:02] <darthrobot> Title: [DevFest 2013 y Software Freedom Day 2013]
  21 [02:02] <pleia2> and by "we" I mean, not me, because I'll be working :]
  22 [02:02] <pleia2> philipballew: preferably in california :)
  23 [02:03] <philipballew> pleia2, It's pretty close
  24 [02:03] <philipballew> :)
  25 [02:03] <pleia2> http://softwarefreedomday.org/
  26 [02:03] <darthrobot> Title: [Software Freedom Day - SFD Home]
  27 [02:04] <pleia2> http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2013/USA/CA/San%20Francisco/San%20Francisco%20State%20University
  28 [02:04] <darthrobot> Title: [2013/USA/CA/San Francisco/San Francisco State University - Software Freedom Day Wiki]
  29 [02:04] <pleia2> might be worth reaching out to Sameer if anyone wants to do something in SF
  30 [02:04] <pleia2> I know they did it last year and some LoCo folks went
  31 [02:04] <eps> They usually celebrate a couple of days early.
  32 [02:04] <pleia2> FeltonLUG is doing one too! http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2013/USA/CA/Felton/Felton_SFD
  33 [02:04] <darthrobot> Title: [2013/USA/CA/Felton/Felton_SFD - Software Freedom Day Wiki]
  34 [02:04] <pleia2> (love those guys)
  35 [02:05] <philipballew> The one I am going to in TJ is on the 21st
  36 [02:05] <pleia2> eps: yeah, looks like SFSU is doing it on Thursday
  37 [02:05] <pleia2> the 19th
  38 [02:05] <philipballew> a saturday
  39 [02:05] <pleia2> (I'll be out of town)
  40 [02:06] <pleia2> maybe I'll just drop Sameer an email and invite him to send a note to the list of he wants volunteers for it
  41 [02:07] <philipballew> It looks like Larry is running one from Felton also.
  42 [02:07] <philipballew> Larry The Crunch Bang Guy.
  43 [02:07] <pleia2> yep, that's the link above
  44 [02:08] <philipballew> oh nice! You got to it while I was away looking for the link.
  45 [02:08] <pleia2> :)
  46 [02:08]  * pleia2 came to the meeting prepared!
  47 [02:08] <philipballew> I will be advertising the one I am heading to for the people in the Southern CA area who want to go with me probably.
  48 [02:09] <pleia2> I keep wanting to do a Global Jam again, but it lands on Yom Kippur this year, so I'm out
  49 [02:09] <pleia2> philipballew: great
  50 [02:10] <pleia2> maybe next cycle :)
  51 [02:10] <philipballew> Ubuntu Global Jam is on a Friday the 13th?
  52 [02:10] <philipballew> Are we sure that is a smart idea?
  53 [02:10] <pleia2> yep, 13-15th
  54 [02:10] <pleia2> haha
  55 [02:11] <philipballew> Is Jono gonna run one?
  56 [02:11] <pleia2> I haven't heard anything from him, he hasn't since becoming daddy jono
  57 [02:11] <pleia2> apparently small children take up a lot of time :)
  58 [02:11] <philipballew> yeah, him and Grant used to do something in the east bay there.
  59 [02:11] <pleia2> yeah
  60 [02:12] <philipballew> I'll ask grant maybe
  61 [02:12] <pleia2> cool, maybe he can do something at DVLUG or something
  62 [02:12] <philipballew> he might know of things going on.
  63 [02:12]  * pleia2 nods
  64 [02:12] <philipballew> yeah!
  65 [02:13] <pleia2> so the other thing I had on my radar today was our reapproval - which if you have been watching Ubuntu stuff like a hawk this weekend you will see was renamed to being "Reverified" https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2013-August/006445.html
  66 [02:13] <darthrobot> Title: [New Local communities health check process]
  67 [02:13] <pleia2> I made this:
  68 [02:13] <pleia2> #link
  69 [02:13] <pleia2> dur
  70 [02:13] <pleia2> #link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/ApprovalApplication2013
  71 [02:13] <darthrobot> Title: [CaliforniaTeam/ApprovalApplication2013 - Ubuntu Wiki]
  72 [02:14] <pleia2> I'm going to mail it to the list after the meeting to see if anyone else wants to add goals, then on Friday I'll update the bug report the LoCo Council opened with us to schedule a time for our check-in meeting
  73 [02:14] <philipballew> yeah, I like what we have.
  74 [02:14] <philipballew> this new plan should be interesting
  75 [02:14] <pleia2> oh and instead of spending hours copying stuff, I am just linking to our events page and team reports ;)
  76 [02:15]  * pleia2 ponders adding some photos
  77 [02:15] <philipballew> I will go ahead and throw a few stuff in if I can.
  78 [02:15] <pleia2> awesome, thanks philipballew :)
  79 [02:15] <philipballew> Also UDS is this week fyi
  80 [02:15] <pleia2> ah yes!
  81 [02:16] <pleia2> #link http://uds.ubuntu.com/
  82 [02:16] <darthrobot> Title: [Ubuntu Developer Summit]
  83 [02:16] <philipballew> Might be good to get in on a few hangouts if we can.
  84 [02:16] <pleia2> I'm not participating this time around, these mid-cycle ones are considerably less valuable to me
  85 [02:16] <philipballew> I'm gonna go to the community round tables and others I see fit probably.
  86 [02:16] <pleia2> cool
  87 [02:17] <philipballew> pleia2, yeah they are like a mid-cycle election. Nothing good and little turnout it seems.
  88 [02:17] <pleia2> hehe
  89 [02:17] <eps> Low turnout is how STUPID ideas (like ditching Firefox for Chromium) refuse to die.
  90 [02:18] <pleia2> now now
  91 [02:18] <pleia2> they did a fair technical evaluation, and ended up sticking with Firefox
  92 [02:19] <philipballew> This time i'm proposing IE with WINE become default, so if you want it to not be, come to UDS.
  93 [02:19] <pleia2> :P
  94 [02:19] <eps> For Saucy, yes. But its going to raise its ugly heads again, so we need lot of warm bodies to chop them off.
  95 [02:20] <pleia2> I think that's pretty much all I had on my list of things to talk about
  96 [02:21] <philipballew> Anything else I will say will just end up being pointless and offensive.
  97 [02:21] <philipballew> so I have nothing.
  98 [02:21] <eps> And now, a moment of silence for Ubuntu Edge.
  99 [02:21] <pleia2> *silence*
 100 [02:22] <philipballew> *Moment Over*
 101 [02:22] <pleia2> hehe
 102 [02:22] <pleia2> alright, thanks guys
 103 [02:22] <pleia2> #endmeeting

CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/13August25 (last edited 2013-08-26 03:05:04 by lyz)