Sunday, September 7th, 2014, 7:00pm (1900) PT

Original Agenda

  1. Software Freedom Day plans

  2. CaliforniaTeam/Leadership Election

If you have anything else you'd like to add to the agenda, or want to make some changes, please feel free to edit it. Please include an explanation of your item if it's not immediately apparent. Decisions on agenda items added within 48 hours of the start of the meeting may be postponed until the next meeting. Adding your item well in advance helps everyone collaborate and avoids last minute surprises.

Our meetings are held every other Sunday at 7:00pm (19:00) PT / 02:00 UTC in our IRC channel, #ubuntu-us-ca on freenode. All interested people are welcome to join us. For questions or help connecting, check out the InternetRelayChat page or use the Web client linked from the Contact page.

Hope to see you there!

   1 [02:00] <pleia2> #startmeeting
   2 [02:00] <darthrobot`> Meeting started Mon Sep  8 02:00:24 2014 UTC.  The chair is pleia2. Information about MeetBot at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
   3 [02:00] <darthrobot`> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
   4 [02:00] <pleia2> ok, who all is here for the meeting?
   5 [02:00] <Roguehorse> \o
   6 [02:00] <ianorlin> \o
   7 [02:00] <nhaines> \o_
   8 [02:00] <elky> \o
   9 [02:00] <pleia2> cool
  10 [02:01] <nhaines> rww: stop playing Final Fantasy and join us.  :P
  11 [02:01] <rww> i'm playing final fantasy 7, but elky can poke me if need be
  12 [02:01] <rww> be quiet nhaines :P
  13 [02:01] <pleia2> Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/14September07
  14 [02:01] <pleia2> haha
  15 [02:01] <darthrobot`> Title: [CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/14September07 - Ubuntu Wiki]
  16 [02:01] <elky> busted lol
  17 [02:01] <pleia2> #chair rww
  18 [02:01] <darthrobot`> Current chairs: pleia2 rww
  19 [02:01] <pleia2> #topic Software Freedom Day plans
  20 [02:02] <pleia2> so grantbow emailed Sameer on the 24th about SFSU plans, who replied "updates coming soon"
  21 [02:02] <pleia2> afaik, there haven't been any yet
  22 [02:02] <pleia2> but they typically do an on campus thing some weekday that a few folks from the team go to
  23 [02:02] <pleia2> any other areas have anything?
  24 [02:02] <Roguehorse> oh, I was going to contact him to see if he needed help or anything and got sidetracked
  25 [02:02] <pleia2> hehe
  26 [02:03] <Roguehorse> I sent an email to Hurricane and never heard back
  27 [02:03] <pleia2> well, we're trying :)
  28 [02:03] <jyo> oh hi
  29 [02:03] <Roguehorse> hi
  30 [02:04] <pleia2> jyo works at Hurricane, so maybe chats can happen? :)
  31 [02:05] <nhaines> The next OCLUG meeting is technically on SFD.  So we probably should have planned something.
  32 [02:05] <Roguehorse> ?? Hmm .... sure!
  33 [02:05]  * ianorlin doesn't know the topic of next OCLUG meeting
  34 [02:06] <nhaines> They don't have topics unless there's a presentation.
  35 [02:06] <ianorlin> ah
  36 [02:08] <Roguehorse> (crickets)
  37 [02:09] <pleia2> hehe, ok, next topic then
  38 [02:09] <pleia2> #topic CaliforniaTeam/Leadership Election
  39 [02:09] <pleia2> so this isn't until December strictly speaking, but I want to put it in people's minds early
  40 [02:09] <Roguehorse> pleia2: Your the president! - next topic
  41 [02:09] <elky> nah, she needs a break
  42 [02:09] <Roguehorse> :-)
  43 [02:09] <pleia2> you may notice that I miss about half the meetings, I'm traveling a lot and work is taking up a lot of my time, so I probably want to not play leader anymore
  44 [02:10] <pleia2> plus Iwant to give others some opportunity :)
  45 [02:10]  * ianorlin hasn't done tihs before and don't really now how tihs works
  46 [02:10] <pleia2> ianorlin: we have a whole document! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Leadership
  47 [02:10] <darthrobot`> Title: [CaliforniaTeam/Leadership - Ubuntu Wiki]
  48 [02:10] <elky> there'll be a queue of people lining up to scold her for taking it on again if she does.
  49 [02:10] <Roguehorse> I have a hard time with the groups I have now trying to get anything done
  50 [02:10] <pleia2> mostly the job of the leadership trio is making sure meetings happen, announcements go out, and generally the team hums along
  51 [02:11] <pleia2> elky: hehe
  52 [02:11] <rww> more than three candidates this time would be nice :P
  53 [02:11] <pleia2> so if anyone is interested, please think about it, and ask me or philipballew or rww questions if you are curious about what we've been up to this past year
  54 [02:12] <pleia2> yes, a proper election would be lovely :)
  55 [02:12] <jyo> I'm too busy running the election to run in the election, guys.
  56 [02:12] <Roguehorse> LOL! I've seen that before at the Foundation
  57 [02:13] <nhaines> What's the process for standing for election?
  58 [02:13] <nhaines> Are there any deadlines, when's the election, etc. :)
  59 [02:14] <rww> jyo: I can run the election, if you'd like to run in it :P
  60 [02:14] <ianorlin> nhaines read pleia2 link
  61 [02:15] <pleia2> the coordinator will send out an email like this: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2013-December/002346.html
  62 [02:15] <darthrobot`> Title: [[Ubuntu-US-CA] Call for Ubuntu California LoCo leadershipnominations]
  63 [02:15] <nhaines> ianorlin: I have.  I didn't see any dates or nomination procedures there.
  64 [02:15] <pleia2> again, all a couple months off and we'll iron that out as we get closer, I just want potential leaders to start thinking
  65 [02:16] <nhaines> December.  Looks good.
  66 [02:16] <rww> and it's self-nomination over email or IRC
  67 [02:16]  * pleia2 nods
  68 [02:17]  * ianorlin wonders if that should be in the leadership so this question doesn't come up again
  69 [02:18] <pleia2> it'll be linked at the bottom of the page in a 2014 link once we get going
  70 [02:18] <pleia2> but it's 3 months off, so no one has done any of the deadline setting or anything yet
  71 [02:18] <pleia2> #topic Any other business
  72 [02:19] <Roguehorse> Has anyone heard from Jono at all? I never got to meet the guy.
  73 [02:20]  * ianorlin hears him on his podcast bad voltage but not in ubuntu-us-ca stuff
  74 [02:20] <pleia2> he came to our release party in San Francisco for Trusty
  75 [02:20] <nhaines> Jono's around all the time.
  76 [02:20] <Roguehorse> I know, I was there too, but somehow missed him
  77 [02:20] <nhaines> Roguehorse: I'm hoping he's at SCALE again next year.  He's awesome.  :)
  78 [02:21]  * ianorlin is pretty sure he will be
  79 [02:21] <Roguehorse> I've heard all good things
  80 [02:21] <pleia2> he's got the XPrize job now, so not quite as much Ubuntu-y things I think these days
  81 [02:21] <Roguehorse> I've heard from many that I HAVE to get to SCALE but it's kind of a big wad of cash right now
  82 [02:22] <pleia2> so, other things on the calendar, Utopic release is coming up on October 23rd
  83 [02:22]  * ianorlin likes living close to scale
  84 [02:22] <Roguehorse> ianorlin: :-P
  85 [02:22] <nhaines> Utopic will also be the foundation of the new phones featuring Ubuntu later this year.  :)
  86 [02:23] <pleia2> \o/
  87 [02:23] <Roguehorse> Hmm.. my phone is junk again. I need to send it in for exchange
  88 [02:24] <nhaines> I cleaned my keyboard last night and got all the keys back in the same place.
  89 [02:24]  * ianorlin wonders what new things are in server for utopic
  90 [02:24] <Roguehorse> nhaines: LOL! Good work! (put it on your LinkedIN) ;-)
  91 [02:25] <nhaines> Looking inside keyboard.  Soon the living shall envy the dead.
  92 [02:25]  * pleia2 gives nhaines a gold star
  93 [02:25] <pleia2> ianorlin: I don't expect a lot of innovation
  94 [02:26] <pleia2> so, other upcoming stuff, I'll be out of town on Wednesday, but Michael Paoli will be hosting the typical SF Ubuntu Hour (and probably a Debian Dinner to follow)
  95 [02:26] <pleia2> berkeley ubuntu hour coming up on the 18th: http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-california/2692-ubuntu-hour-berkeley/
  96 [02:26] <darthrobot`> Title: [Ubuntu Hour Berkeley | Ubuntu LoCo Team Portal]
  97 [02:27] <pleia2> oh! copies of The Official Ubuntu Book
  98 [02:28] <Roguehorse> have it
  99 [02:28] <pleia2> nhaines has some in SoCal, I have some in NorCal, chat with us if you need one
 100 [02:28] <pleia2> 8th edition (came out in July)
 101 [02:28] <nhaines> I'm waiting on 9th edition.
 102 [02:28] <pleia2> hehe
 103 [02:29] <pleia2> ok, that's all I've got
 104 [02:29] <Roguehorse> Some of the peeps at EBLUG might dig one
 105 [02:30] <pleia2> I should go to that some time
 106 [02:31] <Roguehorse> They're a nice group, just not very, um (active)? I guess I should say?
 107 [02:31] <pleia2> aha :)
 108 [02:32] <Roguehorse> pleia2: It would be nice to see you come in and hang out :-)
 109 [02:32] <jyo> You're not missing much, at least last time I dropped by.
 110 [02:32] <Roguehorse> I'm trying - but it's hard when you'rew the only one motivated
 111 [02:32] <pleia2> Roguehorse: may do! probably not until November or so
 112 [02:33] <Roguehorse> pleia2: No worries
 113 [02:33] <pleia2> although, I might be around this month
 114 [02:33]  * pleia2 shrugs
 115 [02:33] <pleia2> anyway, anything else from anyone before we wrap up and I go get sushi? :d
 116 [02:33] <Roguehorse> nah, I'm empty
 117 [02:34] <pleia2> alrighty, thanks everyone
 118 [02:34] <pleia2> #endmeeting

CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/14September07 (last edited 2014-09-21 20:44:13 by lyz)