For minutes of previous meetings, please see DesktopTeam/Meeting.


  • Martin Pitt (pitti) -- chair
  • Kenneth Wimer (kwwii)
  • Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt)
  • Ted Gould (tedg)

  • James Westby (james_w)


  • Scott James Remnant (Keybuk) - GUADEC
  • Michael Vogt (mvo) -- GUADEC
  • Sebastien Bacher (seb128) -- GUADEC
  • Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) -- holiday
  • Mirco Müller (MacSlow) -- GUADEC

Outstanding actions from last meeting

  • Mirko to update clutter to appropriate version, not worrying about parallel install; wasn't able to be completed, should be confirmed with Mark or handed off to someone else. (deferred again, since Mirko is on conference)


  • Outstanding actions from last meeting
  • Review activity reports
  • users-admin replacement: A couple of GNOME guys

    proposed a design of a new user administration tool with a contemporary UI and technical design (PolicyKit, etc.). Matthew Thomas welcomed the new design, but mentioned some shortcomings, which he will discuss with the authors directly. This new tool will not be ready in time for Intrepid, though; we will stay with users-admin in intrepid and not waste effort with

    improving system-config-users, now that it is essentially declared dead.

Actions from this meeting

  • Matthew to follow up with upstream about UI improvements in new user admin tool.

Activity reports

Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)

None received, on holiday.

Kenneth Wimer (kwwii)

* Made SVG of new login mockup for usage in implementation for Mirco.

  • Discussion with community members as well as Salane about wiki organization

and getting things done. Good start here. She has a lot to learn but seems to have a good head on her shoulders.

  • Created ubuntu-artwork-dev team as some of the more active members have

mentioned that they get little or nothing done because of the email list noise and this reduces their desire to participate (two active members mentioned that they were ready to leave the list).

  • Looked into various fonts - I need someone who can find more information

about the licensing of the droid font. Need to find out about OOo font usage and settings, what is possible, etc.

  • Packaged latest dark theme and lighter murrine and clearlooks fixes, pitti

included them. Also updated my hardy PPA.

Martin Pitt (pitti)

Drafted specs (not assigned to me):

  • kernel-abi-package-handling: some difficulties to implement it properly in apt in a way that it works with aptitude; currently being discussed with Debian
  • consolidate-spell-checkers: approved, will be done by Seb during GNOME package updates

Assigned Intrepid specs:

  • intrepid-device-permissions: approved, not started
  • jockey-printer-driver-support: approved, committed initial bits to jockey, committed some bug fixes to system-config-printer's cupshelpers module; blocked on some difficulties on openprinting.org archive organization, currently discussing with Till
  • gdm-guest-account: discussed approach on IRC, but didn't catch responsible persons; mailed them again directly, no response yet

Currently open milestoned bugs:

  • Intrepid: #224697 (Disable hibernation if swap is on file), #232428

    (guile 1.6 -> 1.8 transition), #246550 (upgrade conffile prompt): will do later, specs go first


  • PackageKit update to latest version, semi-fixed license field

  • Lots of sponsoring
  • Wrote a PackageKit client for Python (needed for Jockey), I have some difficulties with that still

  • Upgraded my computers to intrepid

Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt)

No report received.

Michael Vogt (mvo)

No report received, GUADEC.

Mirco Müller (MacSlow)

No report received, GUADEC.

Sebastien Bacher (seb128)

No report received, GUADEC.

Ted Gould (tedg)

Desktop Experience:

  • Working on the 'user applet' thingy. Got session management in and DBUS communication with Pidgin prototyped in Python.


  • Did objectives for HR
  • Made power management work in Bazaar
  • Made the command line inhibit tool for GPM as discussed at UDS
  • Worked on OSCON presentation (needs lots more -- probably my focus for the rest of the week)
  • Fixed my Intrepid install on my laptop. Happy again.
  • 4th of July holiday


Back to DesktopTeam.

DesktopTeam/Meeting/2008-07-10 (last edited 2008-08-06 16:25:09 by localhost)