For minutes of previous meetings, please see DesktopTeam/Meeting.


  • Martin Pitt (pitti) - chair
  • Scott James Remnant (Keybuk)
  • Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)

  • Bryce Harrington (bryce)
  • Chris Cheney (calc)
  • Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
  • Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
  • Pedro Villavicencio Garrido (pedro_)
  • Kenneth Wimer (kwwii)


  • Alexander Sack (asac) - on holiday


  • Outstanding actions from last meeting
  • Meeting reminder -- pitti
  • Jaunty plans

Outstanding actions from last meeting

  • Martin to upload current PPA langpacks to hardy/intrepid-proposed -- done
  • Jonathan to track down who is working on bug #290695, set assignee, and clarify status -- done, in -proposed now
  • Everyone to think about what they would like to work on in Jaunty -- covered in agenda below

Actions from this meeting

  • Martin to talk to beuno to put the desktop team meeting at the fridge
  • Everyone to register their specs and propose for "uds-jaunty" by the end of the week

Meeting reminder

Several people complained about not being notified hard enough about the meeting. Some appreciate the weekly reminder emails, and many would like to have it in in the Fridge, and thus in Evolution. Thus Martin will send out reminder emails every Monday afternoon.

intrepid-updates bugs

Martin asked about difficulties with getting the intrepid-updates milestoned bugs fixed and reminded everyone to get them fixed by UDS, since we'll heavily work on Jaunty afterwards.

The only reported difficulty was the kde4libs SRU, which apparently rendered several other KDE packages to fail to build. Jonathan and Michael Casadevall are investigating and working on it.

Seb pointed out that GNOME 2.24.2 is due next week, but we will not do the full updates as for Hardy, only some prominent packages which fix high-visibility bugs, such as Evolution.

Jonathan will create SRU tracking bugs for moving KDE 4.1.3 packages in intrepid-backports to -proposed.

Jaunty plans

For Jaunty, the desktop team wants to concentrate on bug triage catch-up, bug fixing, and cleanup. So far there do not seem to be major structural changes coming from upstreams, except kernel modesetting (whose adoption in Jaunty isn't decided yet), so this is an ideal cycle for working on stability and quality.

  • Arne: continue to work on fonts, language-selector, font-selector, plus a new item: ibus (a candidate to replace scim); will register specs for language-selector UI improvements and ibus
  • Bryce: assist on some that ubuntu-x community members are taking the lead on (config tools), switch -ati from XAA to EXA, work on ongoing X.org testing (XSmoke), work on OEM X.org bugs, put a lot of time into getting distro X bugs closed as I'm having good momentum with upstream at getting fixes
  • Chris: get release exception and OOo 3.1 in, get OOo languages switched to Pootle/Rosetta (will register spec), get OOo split builds working
  • Jonathan: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuJauntySpecs; mainly focusing on UI cleanup and bug fixing, too

  • Martin: concentrate on triaging and fixing bugs, robustifying the apport retracers (apport-retracer-maintenance), and working on CD downsizing

  • Sebastien: concentrate on bug fixing, plus the usual GNOME 2.26.x

Activity reports

Alexander Sack (asac)

On holiday.

Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)

  • merges for ttf-arphic-uming, ttf-sil-scheherazade, xuxen-eu-spell, scim-chewing
  • rebuilt adept, amarok and digikam locally in order to extract and upload the hardy translations into rosetta to fix a language-pack regression.
  • uploaded new intrepid base language-packs
  • fixed langpack-o-matic to include ISO639-3 language codes in order to build more langpacks.
  • discussion on the scim-devel mailing list about the future of scim
  • following up on bug reports

Bryce Harrington (bryce)

Chris Cheney (calc)

  • Bug triage
  • Preparing openoffice.org 1:3.0.0-4ubuntu1 for Jaunty

Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)


  • Merging KDE packages with Debian
  • Updating KDE packages ahead of Beta 1 next week
  • Packaging llvm, opengtl, spacenav for KOffice
  • Packaging KOffice 2 beta 3
  • Checking up on FOSSCamp and UDS invitees
  • Sending patches to Debian and KDE


  • KDE 4.2 Beta 1
  • Kubuntu meeting Tuesday to finalise UDS sessions
  • On holiday from end of Friday

Martin Pitt (pitti)

Currently open intrepid-updates targeted bugs:

  • 297771 (logcheck ignores all logs in "server" or "workstation" config): in -proposed for testing
  • 275407 (cups: ipp/http backends not available): Fixed in Jaunty, patch available, waiting for confirmation of another patch (Debian #489045) to do an SRU


  • did most of my remaining ones this week
  • only one left is inkscape, which I'd like to hand to Bryce

Non-chores work done:

  • A ton of intrepid SRU processing and sponsoring
  • Merged ekiga 3.0 from experimental, discovered a few really bad upgrade regressions/bugs, filed upstream, discussing with them
  • Discussed mobile-broadband-provider-info SRUs with upstream, got standing SRU approval from Tech Board, updated policy
  • Fixed langpack-o-matic to not break KDE 4 translations, coordinated rebuilds with Arne; langpacks in hardy/intrepid-proposed for testing now
  • Set up ddeb-retriever for armel


  • system-cleaner

Sebastien Bacher (seb128)

(worked only 3 days this week due to holidays and a national holiday)

  • desktop bug triage
  • some desktop sru updates to intrepid
  • GNOME merges and syncs on Debian


Back to DesktopTeam.

DesktopTeam/Meeting/2008-11-18 (last edited 2008-11-26 10:51:42 by yttrium)