For minutes of previous meetings, please see DesktopTeam/Meeting.
- Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) - chair
- Alexander Sack (asac)
Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)
- Bryce Harrington (bryce)
- Chris Cheney (calc)
- Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
Ken VanDine (kenvandine)
- Martin Pitt (pitti)
- Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
- Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)
- State of Jaunty
- Launchpad Team and Kubuntu
- All Hands
- Grand Canaria
- OEM team swapperoo
- Review activity reports
- Any other business
Actions from this meeting
- ACTION: rickspencer3 to get definitive list of who has talks at all hands to double check that everyone who has one is prepared
State of Jaunty
- pitti reports that we are seeing a fairly normal number of SRUs for this release, though there are no severe issues as of yet. Evolution Data Server, and i965 are serious issues that are still being address.
- Generally consensus is that Jaunty we quite a solid release and that users are reasonably happy with it.
- rickspencer3 stressed the need to move to karmic work asap. Asked that people with access to i965 hardware volunteer to help with testing, etc...
- rickspencer3 mandated that the desktop team join and use U1
Instructions to get started: https://ubuntuone.com/support/installation/
- All employees currently have access, public beta is soon
- kenvandine discussed the topic briefly, and asked that everyone with access please test as much as you can, starting April 29
Launchpad Team and Kubuntu
- rickspencer3 spent time with launchpad leads in London. Interesting perspective as users, also, three of them are big fans of Kubuntu.
- rickspencer3 encouraged team members to get their all hands talks ready asap.
- there was some ambiguity regarding who got talks accepted and not. rickspencer3 to follow up.
- Got key partner related blueprints stubbed out
- pitti asks people to follow naming convention: desktop-karmic-*
- pitti and rickspencer3 to review UDS sessions by next meeting
- rickspencer3 reminds team about opening night party
- rickspencer3 asks that everyone schedule to be there for opening night party (as Canonical is hosting)
OEM team swapperoo
- Reminder, that calc starts this starts on 5/1
- General plan is to slow OOo development during Karmic, as OEM staff joining us should not be assigned to just OOo
- calc will still be available 20% time for consulting on OOo
Alexander Sack (asac)
- release bug triage ... staying on top - day and night
- workaround apturl issue that broke install of flash on live CD (LP: #363798)
- network-manager-pptp 0.7.1~rc4.20090316+bzr23-0ubuntu3 uploaded and approved for ubuntu/jaunty (LP: #364356)
- roll firefox/xulrunner security update 3.0.9
- investigate firefox/xulrunner 3.0.10 firedrill and prepare builds; also found another
- variant for which 3.0.10 is still crashing
- release party
Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)
upgraded my home server from debian lenny to ubuntu jaunty. Took quite some time but worked.
- bug triaging for language-selector
work on my presentation for AllHands
Bryce Harrington (bryce)
- Sent out 'Jaunty-Eve' thank-you's to X.org bug triagers
- Email catch up
- X freezes on -intel
- - Reproduced freeze with various options suggested by upstream.
- Provided upstream with several more GPU dumps for each case.
- notified them of the new tools, asking for them to provide dumps for their freeze issue. (28 bug reports)
- system so can git bisecting of Debian packages
- Tested Virtual settings - setting at >1606 seems to resolve.
- - Reproduced freeze with various options suggested by upstream.
- Helped various people with their X issues
- Create graph of bugs for major video drivers
- Wrote script to move bugs from xorg to more appropriate source
- packages. Eliminates one big chunk of X bug drudgery.
- Enhanced script to add device name to -intel bug report titles
- Full triage on 'xorg' package
- Misc. fixup of scripts to account for launchpadlib changes
- Created script to itemize -intel bugs based on tagged symptoms
- Set up PPA for X driver updates
- https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates/ - Merged latest versions of several drivers
- UDS session planning
Chris Cheney (calc)
- Working on OOo 3.1.0 packaging.
- Weekly OOo Release Status Meeting - OOo 3.1.0 rc2 this week
- Weekly desktop team meeting
- Lots of OOo bug triage
Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
- Jaunty final testing and release!
- E-mail catchup
- Reviewing translations and fixing where broken
- SRUs for packagekit, acpid
- discussing and pondering specs for Karmic
- Open Week talk
- Fill in performance review
- get cracking on merges
- oversee KDE 4.2.3 packaging
Ken VanDine (kenvandine)
- Jaunty install testing
- U1 testing and debugging
- U1 testing and debugging
- Message indicator session for Ubuntu Open Week
Martin Pitt (pitti)
Currently open stable/milestoned bugs:
353879 (move Apport launchpad crash database implementation to launchpadlib): Fixed in ubuntu bzr head, ready for Karmic upload
334446 (Remove gnome-pilot from the default ubuntu install): simple to do, needs some discussion though
- Jaunty final CD testing, and some release management
- Merged hal, cdbs, debhelper (those were all pretty complex)
- Major SRU round (lots of jaunty SRUs, cleanup for older stables)
- tracked down a cdbs/python-distutils regression, discussed with Debian
- Set up apport retracer for armel, filed RT to fix firewall rules on rimu; once that's done, it'll actually work
- Organized i965 testing activity, and added a few ideas
- Bug fixing in hal, hal-info, udev (in particular #356631, which is now in -proposed)
- consolekit, gnome-system-tools, mjpegtools, pulseaudio, tor, tracker
Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
* jaunty CD testing * tried to keep up with the jaunty desktop bugs * some jaunty desktop sru uploads
Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)
- SRU for pstopdf CUPS filter (bug 357732) is now in updates, did another fix on pstopdf and prepared second SRU as one user still reported problems (also bug 357732).
- Answered and trigaed several printing bug reports.
- [17:31] * rickspencer3 slaps desk with ruler
[17:31] <rickspencer3> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2009-04-28
[17:31] <rickspencer3> unfortunately, I'm still catching up, so not quite as organized as I like to be
[17:31] <pitti> ugh, activity reports are a bit thin
[17:32] <rickspencer3> pitti: right, I haven't had a chance to put them in the wiki yet
[17:32] <pitti> but I saw them fly by in mail
[17:32] <rickspencer3> it's all my fault
[17:32] <pitti> n/p *hug*
[17:32] <pitti> rickspencer3: hope you enjoyed the long weekend
[17:32] <rickspencer3> well, I've been working non-stop since like 5:30am, so am not feeling too guilty
[17:32] <rickspencer3> I hope everyone is feeling good about Jaunty
[17:32] <pitti> my clock does not have 5:30 _AM_
[17:32] <rickspencer3> the buzz in the office in London was *very* positive
[17:33] <rickspencer3> Gerry told me "best reviews ever!"
[17:33] <kenvandine_wk> rickspencer3: done
[17:33] <rickspencer3> so, first topic
[17:33] <pitti> a friend of mine is very pleased with it, told me to pass on the "thank you"
[17:33] <rickspencer3> State of Jaunty
[17:33] <pitti> we have tons of SRUs
[17:33] <rickspencer3> general feedback about quality
[17:33] <rickspencer3> ?
[17:33] <rickspencer3> pitti: is that normal?
[17:33] <pitti> but none of them really OMGkittensdie
[17:33] <pitti> rickspencer3: yes, very
[17:33] <seb128> pitti: "tons" .. the normal amount I would say
[17:33] <pitti> a few major upgrade issues
[17:34] <pitti> seb128: we normally have "tons and tons"
[17:34] <pitti> and some polish
[17:34] <rickspencer3> lol
[17:34] <pitti> I was pretty liberal in the first few days after jaunty
[17:34] <pitti> but now I'll raise the bar pretty high
[17:34] <pitti> sorry, davmor/mvo
[17:35] <rickspencer3> as discussed, I would like to transfer effort to Karmic as rapidly as possible
[17:35] <pitti> we still have a major e-d-s crasher and the 965 issue, otherwise I wouldn't waste too much work on it
[17:35] <rickspencer3> pitti: good
[17:35] <seb128> pitti: e-d-s crasher -> libical waiting for you
[17:35] <seb128> pitti: I turned of the crashing warnings
[17:35] <pitti> seb128: you rock
[17:35] <pitti> hah
[17:35] <rickspencer3> pitti: bug #?
[17:35] <seb128> pitti: which is what fedora does and upstream recommends doing
[17:36] <rickspencer3> for those following along?
[17:36] <pitti> bug 368508
[17:36] <seb128> rickspencer3: e-d-s crasher? look to recent bugs there
[17:36] <ubottu> Launchpad bug 368508 in libical "don't crash on incorrect values or errors" [Wishlist,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/368508
[17:36] <pitti> I presume
[17:36] <seb128> there is several bugs which are probably duplicates
[17:36] <pitti> you guys upload faster than I can process SRUs
[17:36] <seb128> pitti: yes
[17:36] <bryce> hehe
[17:36] <seb128> pitti: I switched to karmic this afternoon
[17:36] <seb128> so expect less SRUs from me
[17:37] <pitti> seb128: would be nice if you could dupe some real bug reports to that one, to get some testers subscsribed
[17:37] <seb128> "switched", ie I'm not using it yet
[17:37] <seb128> but I'm working on it
[17:37] <pitti> anyway, no meeting issue
[17:37] <seb128> pitti: will do
[17:37] <pitti> anyone else aware of somethign major which needs fixing in jaunty?
[17:37] <rickspencer3> I feel that we still have this i965 nut to crack, and that as a team we won't really be done with Jaunty until we have compiz working again
[17:37] <pitti> asac: did anything pop up on the nm/ff front?
[17:37] <pitti> bryce: and any other kitten killers besides 965?
[17:38] <bryce> not really
[17:38] <pitti> kenvandine_wk: or major breakage in notify-osd?
[17:38] <bryce> well, lots of X bugs kill kittens
[17:38] <bryce> but none that are on a rampage
[17:38] <pitti> ok, good
[17:38] <pitti> bryce: all will be better with DRI2/UXA, right?
[17:38] <pitti> (famous last words)
[17:38] <kenvandine_wk> pitti: not really
[17:38] <bryce> I've talked to colin king about the performance issue, so we may see some progress there, but that's mainly kernel side stuff
[17:39] <bryce> pitti: yes, we get to exchange all our nasty old bugs
[17:39] <bryce> for fresh new ones
- [17:39] * pitti is running 2.6.30rc3/uxa/dri2/2.7.0 happily
[17:39] <pitti> ok, seems the "jaunty state" topic is done?
[17:39] <rickspencer3> yes
[17:40] <rickspencer3> except ... if you have an i965, or access to one, please be highly responsive to requests for assistance
[17:40] <rickspencer3> kenvandine_wk: U1?
[17:40] <kenvandine_wk> ok
[17:40] <kenvandine_wk> so U1 beta is coming up soon
[17:40] <kenvandine_wk> and I don't think we have had enough testing... so I have been turning up the heat
[17:40] <seb128> what is U1?
[17:40] <pitti> ubuntu one
[17:40] <kenvandine_wk> I even went cold turkey from dropbox
[17:41] <kenvandine_wk> serious dogfooding
[17:41] <seb128> ah ok
[17:41] <kenvandine_wk> there are instructions on the meeting wiki page for setting it up, everyone on the desktop team needs to kick the tires and report bugs
[17:41] <kenvandine_wk> but wait until tomorrow please
[17:41] <kenvandine_wk> major bug fixes are landing today as well as ppa changes
[17:42] <kenvandine_wk> thanks, lets help make sure U1 rocks!
[17:42] <rickspencer3> kenvandine_wk: thanks
[17:42] <rickspencer3> all - please note that the U1 team is trying *very* hard to be easy to work with here
[17:43] <rickspencer3> so I ask that we support them in kind by running their bits
[17:43] <rickspencer3> I'll ask kenvandine_wk to set up some kind of test or something that we can all participate in for the next team meeting
[17:43] <rickspencer3> next topic
[17:43] <rickspencer3> Launchpad Team and Kubuntu
[17:43] <rickspencer3> I just wanted to point out that three of the leads are serious Kubuntu fans
[17:44] <rickspencer3> Riddell: ^
[17:44] <rickspencer3> I'm trying to get them to join #kubuntu-devel and support the project
[17:44] <rickspencer3> next topic: Launchpad Team and Kubuntu
[17:44] <rickspencer3> oops ... copy paste error
[17:44] <rickspencer3> All Hands
[17:44] <rickspencer3> everyone ready?
[17:45] <pitti> I brought my two hands
[17:45] <Riddell> cool
[17:45] <pitti> still need to prep the talks, though
[17:45] <rickspencer3> anyone else doing a talk?
- [17:45] * rickspencer3 raises hand
[17:45] <calc> i am, need to finish it up still
[17:45] <ArneGoetje> any information in which format the talks should be? I didn't see anything announced
[17:45] <ArneGoetje> me too
[17:45] <pitti> hm, it came through the lists
[17:46] <rickspencer3> ACTION: rickspencer3 to dig up info on all hands talk and resend to desktop team
[17:46] <pitti> I got two "talk approved" mails with some details, you didn't?
[17:46] <bryce> I'm doing a talk but I've not even had a moment to think about UDS
[17:46] <ArneGoetje> I only saw the announcement for the talks, but I haven't seen anything about the preferred file format
[17:46] <rickspencer3> seb128: you're doing one if I recall correctly
[17:46] <seb128> rickspencer3: I got no email
[17:46] <rickspencer3> hmmm
[17:46] <seb128> so I guess my talk didn't get approved
[17:47] <rickspencer3> ACTION: rickspencer3 to check on seb128's talk
[17:47] <kenvandine_wk> seb128: i got a no thanks mail
[17:47] <rickspencer3> seb128: I thought I was cc'ed on one for you
[17:47] <seb128> rickspencer3: could have been spammed then
[17:47] <rickspencer3> seb128: ack, I'll check it out asap
- [17:47] * pitti wonders about the spammy topic seb128 will talk about then
[17:47] <seb128> if it got spammed I deleted it
[17:48] <seb128> or "marked as spam" rather
[17:48] <rickspencer3> seb128's topic was about about canning spiced ham, so it may have been diverted
[17:48] <seb128> I've difficulties to keep my boxes spam free at the moment
[17:48] <rickspencer3> ready to talk a little about UDS?
[17:48] <seb128> yes!
[17:48] <kenvandine_wk> i've had my email addy for 2 months now... and get a ton of spam already, can only imagine what seb128 gets
[17:49] <rickspencer3> a key change for Karmic is that we have two rooms
[17:49] * pitti gets about 5000 a day through SpamAssassin, and about 70.000 per day which are rejected earlier on
[17:49] <calc> the canonical filter seems to catch most of my spam
[17:49] <rickspencer3> also, we are "hosting" Dx and Design in our track
[17:50] <rickspencer3> you may notice that I have added a bunch of blueprint "stubs"
[17:50] <ArneGoetje> mie didn't get approved yet
[17:50] <ArneGoetje> mine
[17:50] <rickspencer3> essentially placeholders that I could use to subscibe folks to and for scheduling
[17:50] <rickspencer3> ArneGoetje: no problems. These initial ones were based on internal partners and other things
[17:51] <ArneGoetje> ok
[17:51] <rickspencer3> folks from the community and Ubuntu engineers, still have time to create blueprints
[17:51] <ArneGoetje> until when?
[17:51] <seb128> do we need to create blueprints or only to suggest topics?
[17:51] <rickspencer3> ideally, you would all get them stubbed out by eow
[17:52] <rickspencer3> seb128: go ahead and create them, I think
[17:52] <rickspencer3> I haven't been through this before, so I thought I would let you all tell me how you want to do it
[17:52] <rickspencer3> I'
[17:52] <rickspencer3> ll create them for you if you want, but it seems more efficient just to let you do it
[17:52] <rickspencer3> pitti: what do you think?
[17:52] <pitti> would be good to have the blueprints created in a week, so that we can still schedule them appropriately
[17:53] <kenvandine_wk> rickspencer3: i have a few i proposed, which don't show up on the list yet... not sure what has to happen there
[17:53] <seb128> right, I was just wondering if we were filtering topics before
[17:53] <pitti> yes, everyone should create their "own", which you are interested in
[17:53] <seb128> to not create blueprint for things which are not scheduled or accepted
[17:53] <pitti> set drafter to you, approver to me, and propose for uds-karmic
[17:53] <seb128> ok
[17:54] <pitti> blueprints need to have a good summary and title
[17:54] <kenvandine_wk> pitti: if i find one that exists already, how can i set myself to drafter?
[17:54] <pitti> no need to create wiki pages yet, although of course having them is nice
[17:54] <pitti> kenvandine_wk: "change people"
[17:54] <pitti> kenvandine_wk: prod me to do it if you can't
[17:54] <kenvandine_wk> ok
[17:54] <kenvandine_wk> i have a couple i can't
[17:54] <pitti> (it's restricted to some group I can't remember)
[17:55] <pitti> or prod rickspencer3, whoever is available
[17:55] <kenvandine_wk> i'll poke you after the meeting
[17:55] <rickspencer3> In terms of title, I would ask that folks also start the name with "desktop"
[17:55] <pitti> so before next meeting, rick and I will go through the karmic proposed ones and approve them
[17:55] <rickspencer3> this makes the list much easier to use, I also have to manage dx and design sessions
[17:55] <pitti> so that we can talk about the list in next week's meeting
[17:56] <kenvandine_wk> can we rename the existing ones?
[17:56] <pitti> right, good to bring that up
[17:56] <kenvandine_wk> or have you guys rename them?
[17:56] <rickspencer3> kenvandine_wk: yes
[17:56] <pitti> please prefix the spec identifiers with desktop-karmic-*
[17:56] <pitti> kenvandine_wk: retitling is easy, I don't know if the identifier can be changed
[17:56] <pitti> anyone should be able to update title/description
[17:57] <kenvandine_wk> i can't for the ones i didn't create
[17:57] <kenvandine_wk> at least the one i tried
[17:57] <pitti> kenvandine_wk: ok, let rickspencer3 or me reassign, then you will be able to
[17:57] <kenvandine_wk> ok
[17:58] <rickspencer3> next topic is easy: Desktop Summit
[17:58] <rickspencer3> let me know if you're going, or want to go
[17:58] <tkamppeter> I will not be there.
[17:58] <rickspencer3> also, Canonical is hosting the welcoming party, so if you're going, make sure you get there in time for that, it should be a blast
[17:58] <bryce> me neither
[17:58] <calc> rickspencer3: i emailed you last week about it
[17:58] <ArneGoetje> me neither
[17:59] <calc> rickspencer3: i'm interested in going but didn't have time to submit a paper before the deadline
[17:59] <rickspencer3> okay, let me know *off list* if you're going or want to go
[17:59] <rickspencer3> calc: ping me later and we can talk
[17:59] <calc> ok
[17:59] <rickspencer3> next: OEM team swapperoo
[17:59] <rickspencer3> reminder that calc will be working with OEM services starting next week!
[17:59] <rickspencer3> and we'll have a new team member as well (Tony, I think)
[18:00] <bryce> have fun calc
[18:00] <calc> bryce: heh
[18:00] <bryce> will tony be working on openoffice then, or general desktop stuff?
[18:00] <calc> i get to learn lots of new things and bring back my knowledge to the desktop crew in november
[18:00] <rickspencer3> bryce: both
[18:01] <rickspencer3> I think we'll have to basically slow down OOo development (which given the Sun buyout may be prudent anyway) and spread the work around a bit
[18:01] <rickspencer3> also, calc will have some time to help us
[18:01] <calc> the biggest chunk of OOo work is getting bugs properly triaged due to having two upstreams
[18:01] <calc> we are pretty much caught up at the moment but get lots of new bugs every day
[18:01] <rickspencer3> calc: We'll miss you, but I think you'll have a great time, and learn tons
[18:02] <rickspencer3> any other business?
[18:02] <calc> yep
[18:02] <bryce> oh I have one thing
[18:03] <bryce> I already mentioned it on the ubuntu-devel@ mailing list, but the X team has a PPA set up now with updates for all the major video drivers
[18:03] <pitti> calc: good luck!
[18:03] <bryce> https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates/
[18:03] <rickspencer3> bryce: notice that Yingying_Zhao has started haning out in #u-d?
[18:03] <bryce> I'm sure everyone here will be on karmic so will be getting these automatically, but please pass word around about this to anyone sticking to Jaunty.
[18:04] <bryce> rickspencer3: no I hadn't
[18:04] <rickspencer3> hi Yingying_Zhao o/
- [18:04] * bryce waves to Yingying_Zhao
[18:04] <pitti> hi Yingying_Zhao, nice to see you here!
[18:04] <bryce> I'm formulating plans for -intel focus work for karmic, but more on that later.
[18:04] <rickspencer3> schweet
[18:04] <bryce> naught else from me.
[18:05] <rickspencer3> meeting adjourned?
[18:05] <calc> oh is Tony from the OEM team swap or a new hire?
[18:06] <pitti> have fun everyone with karmic syncs and new crack!
[18:06] <rickspencer3> calc: swap
[18:06] <pitti> s/syncs/merges/
[18:06] <calc> ok
[18:06] <rickspencer3> thanks all
[18:06] <ArneGoetje> thanks
[18:06] <pitti> thanks all
[18:06] <bryce> calc: iirc tony is the guitarist in the allhands jam
[18:06] <seb128> thanks all
[18:06] <rickspencer3> ArneGoetje: good night
[18:07] <calc> bryce: ah
[18:07] <calc> thanks
[18:07] <ArneGoetje> rickspencer3: thanks... soon
[18:07] <bryce> thanks all