2010-07-06

For minutes of previous meetings, please see DesktopTeam/Meeting.

Meeting Minutes

Present

Main Meeting

  • Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) - chair
  • Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)

  • Bryce Harrington (bryce)
  • Chris Cheney (ccheney)
  • Chris Coulson (chrisccoulson)
  • Didier Roche (didrocks)
  • Gary Lasker (tremolux)
  • Ken VanDine (kenvandine)

  • Martin Pitt (pitti)
  • Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
  • Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)

Eastern Edition

  • Luke Yelavich (TheMuso)

  • Robert Ancell (robert_ancell)
  • Chris Halse Rogers (RAOF)

Apologies

  • Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) - Akademy

Agenda

  • Outstanding actions from last meeting
  • Partner Update
  • Kubuntu Update
  • Reviews
  • Release Bugs/Release Status
  • Review activity reports
  • Any other business

Discussion

Actions from this meeting

Outstanding actions from last meeting

Partner Update

Kubuntu Update

Software Center Update

  • Alpha 3 plan and work items identified, see blueprints for details
  • Buy Something
    • Michael Nelson continues to make good progress on the software-center-agent
    • mvo and tremolux currently using the software-center-agent stub server for buy-something cient development
    • lp:~mvo/software-center/lazr merged to trunk, provides ubuntu-sso login object for use with s-c's login dialog
    • mvo filling in more functionality in lp:~mvo/software-center/buy-something
      • mvo's branch is to the point of being able to buy something from mvo's private PPA! still "a bit rough" but working
    • Billing system moving forward as well
    • Some work needed for Soyuz metadata capability to get things working for buy-something, new-apps
  • New Apps on a Stable Release
    • Further UI design input from mpt, clarification of difference between "What's New" and new apps in extras.ubuntu.com
    • Continue development using app-review-board PPA, Soyuz metadata integration still todo
  • UI Enhancements
    • Kiwinote making nice progress on apt-url integration in branch lp:~kiwinote/software-center/deb-files
    • Matthew McGowan is working on a new gtk-based details view in branch lp:~mmcg069/software-center/appdetailsview-gtk

    • tremolux working on nav history and applist reselect reimplementations for current design

Reviews

  • We should be able to do them next week
  • Think about goals for next year as well

Release Status

http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/canonical-desktop-team-maverick-alpha-1.html

Other Business

Activity reports

Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)

Bryce Harrington (bryce)

Chris Cheney (ccheney)

Chris Coulson (chrisccoulson)

Chris Halse Rogers (RAOF)

  • Escalated bugs:
    • Initial work for packaging SiS 671/771 xserver-xorg-video-sis fork.
    • Investigation of Q965 resolution change bug (LP# 586325) - discovered that it is related to hardware cursor support, fix in progress.
  • X bug triage.
  • Sponsored hamster-applet upload for Martin Pool.

Didier Roche (didrocks)

Gary Lasker (tremolux)

  • Identified alpha 3 work items for:
    • desktop-maverick-opportunistic-apps-stable-release
    • desktop-maverick-software-center-front-end
    • (with mvo) foundations-maverick-buy-something
  • Installed software-center-agent stub server and running it locally for development
  • LP: #599644 - Contacted community designer who created a new icon for single-pane dept view "All" button, wired it in
  • Email, Mumble with mpt, mvo re: further design for What's New feature and new apps in extras.ubuntu.com
  • Mumble with mvo on buy-something continued detail design, alpha 3 plan
  • Work on app reselect updates needed for new design
  • Software Center bug triage

Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)

Ken VanDine (kenvandine)

  • Vacation last week

Luke Yelavich (TheMuso)

Accessibility

  • Further work with Vinux developers to make their derivative somewhat more clean in implementation, packaging settings, cleaning up scripts, and discussing changes.
  • Uploaded gnome-orca 2.30.2 to lucid-proposed as an SRU in lucid, with many bugfixes and translation updates.

Audio

  • Audio bug triaging, bugs in question were against the alsa userspace packages, pulseaudio, and the kernel.
  • Set up virtual machines to do kubuntu and xubuntu maverick audio testing. VMs set up, but not played with yet.
  • Started working out a plan of action to deal with the changed jack packages in Debian, which I would like to get into Ubuntu. Will send a post to ubuntu-audio-dev about my plan when ready.
  • Dealt with merge/sync bugs relating to jack packages.

Misc

  • More sponsored uploads, yelp, sane-backends, more that don't come to mind at the moment.

Martin Pitt (pitti)

  • reviewed Jos' work item tracker enhancements
  • Maverick Alpha-2 release engineering, management, testing
  • SRU review and processing
  • Technical Board meeting
  • bug fixes and improvements in apport, dpkg, libnotify, cups, udisks
  • ddeb archive maintenance
  • prepared/conducted job interview for Tech Architect

Robert Ancell (robert_ancell)

  • Maverick updates: gcalctool, gnome-games, empathy, shotwell, yelpj
  • SANE Backends Lucid SRU
  • Worked on getting appearance applet to show correct button order - turns out to be quite complicated
  • Update versions page with packages that are tracking stable GNOME releases

Sebastien Bacher (seb128)

  • iso testing for alpha2
  • desktop updates: gconf eog pidgin
  • backported appmenu-gtk and indicator-appmenu fixes to get it to work properly for alpha2
  • updated gconf, made it build and install gsettings utilities, added a gir binary the build
  • cleaned gnome-icon-theme installed icons to get some CD space back
  • cleaned some evolution packaging cruft and fixed notifier installation
  • synced and merged gstreamer updates from debian
  • changing libwnck to build a gir binary
  • updated cairo to the new 1.9 serie, backported some fixes for new issues
  • backported a gimp fix for the new cairo
  • backported a gvfs fix for an hundredpapercut issue
  • worked on the gdm update but it has issues so uploaded some backported changes rather for now
  • lucid sru updates: gnome-panel nautilus

Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)

IRC Logs

[17:31] * rickspencer3 taps gavel
[17:32] <rickspencer3> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2010-07-06
[17:32] <rickspencer3> first is open actions from last week
[17:32] <rickspencer3> but there weren't any
[17:32] * pitti chuckles
[17:32] <rickspencer3> so, easy!
[17:32] <pitti> the real fun is tomorrow!
[17:32] <rickspencer3> pitti, for you maybe, I'm in NL
[17:32] <rickspencer3> next is partner update
[17:33] <rickspencer3> kenvandine, ?
[17:33] <kenvandine> rickspencer3, i haven't figured that out yet... Smile :) first day back
[17:33] <rickspencer3> okay
[17:33] <rickspencer3> well
[17:33] * kenvandine enjoyed drinks at the beach... does that count?
[17:33] <rickspencer3> this is turning out to go fast
[17:33] <seb128> it will be faster when you notice there is no didrocks either
[17:33] <seb128> Wink ;-)
[17:34] <rickspencer3> I think Riddell is at Akadamy
[17:34] <seb128> indeed
[17:34] <chrisccoulson> i don't know if you want a mozilla update? i've not prepared anything to say but i could probably say a few words
[17:34] <rickspencer3> chrisccoulson, yes please
[17:35] <seb128> chrisccoulson, would be nice
[17:35] <chrisccoulson> ok. so, we published FF3.6.6 to hardy and lucid last week (just after last weeks meeting)
[17:35] <seb128> \o/
[17:35] <chrisccoulson> it's gone reasonably well so far, there was 1 issue that appeared during the evening (the new FF version conflicting with firefox-2 installs)
[17:36] <chrisccoulson> but that's fixed now
[17:36] <chrisccoulson> and we had some users complaining that their java plugin disappeared, which is also now fixed
[17:36] <chrisccoulson> and we're getting a lot of crash reports caused by the flash plugin on both lucid and hardy
[17:36] <chrisccoulson> which sucks :-/
[17:37] <chrisccoulson> i could do with a way of contacting somebody at adobe
[17:37] <rickspencer3> chrisccoulson, have you asked asac about that?
[17:37] <chrisccoulson> rickspencer3, about contacting somebody at adobe?
[17:37] <chrisccoulson> or about the crashes?
[17:38] <rickspencer3> chrisccoulson, the adobe thing
[17:38] <chrisccoulson> rickspencer3, not yet. i was given another name yesterday, but i've not had a chance to speak to him yet
[17:39] <chrisccoulson> but, apart from that, i'm going to be in a position to finally start on maverick work this week Smile :)
[17:39] <rickspencer3> chrisccoulson, I would strongly recommend asking asac
[17:39] <chrisccoulson> rickspencer3, ok, i can do that
[17:39] <rickspencer3> for a suggestion of who to talk to
[17:39] <rickspencer3> chrisccoulson, congrats on starting maverick
[17:39] <rickspencer3> !
[17:40] <rickspencer3> chrisccoulson, I assume it goes without saying that you did an awesome job with mozilla and we all owe you a huge debt of gratitude?
[17:40] <chrisccoulson> FF3.6.7 is already in the PPA ready for testing too
[17:40] <chrisccoulson> heh, thanks Smile :)
[17:40] <seb128> indeed great work chrisccoulson
[17:40] <chrisccoulson> and thanks to everyone who's helped out with testing too Smile :)
[17:40] * tremolux high-5's chrisccoulson
[17:41] * chrisccoulson high-5's tremolux Smile :)
[17:41] <rickspencer3> Smile :)
[17:41] <rickspencer3> ok
[17:41] <rickspencer3> chrisccoulson, else on mozilla?
=== fta is now known as fta_
[17:42] <chrisccoulson> i think i'm done. the only other thing is that karmic and jaunty are still blocked on openjdk, but that should be resolved soon
[17:42] <rickspencer3> chrisccoulson, that's just a simple matter of work, right?
[17:42] <rickspencer3> no unsolved technical issues, correct?
[17:42] <chrisccoulson> rickspencer3, yeah, we still need to run the TCK, which i don't think i'm doing
[17:43] <rickspencer3> right
[17:43] <rickspencer3> chrisccoulson, who is, do you know?
[17:43] <chrisccoulson> but jdstrand had to copy a package to main in jaunty today to get the backported version to build
[17:43] <chrisccoulson> i'm not sure who's doing the work, i'll have to check my emails again
[17:43] <rickspencer3> chrisccoulson, never mind, I can find out
[17:44] <rickspencer3> you should rather take a rest!
[17:44] <rickspencer3> hehe
[17:44] <chrisccoulson> rickspencer3, thanks
[17:44] <rickspencer3> ok, moving on ...
[17:44] <rickspencer3> tremolux, software-center?
[17:44] <tremolux> sure, pastebomb incoming:
[17:44] <tremolux> Buy Something: Software Center Agent implementation progressing well, stub server in use for development
[17:44] <tremolux> mvo was able to "buy something" from his private PPA after resolving aptdaemon issue, branch at lp:~mvo/software-center/buy-something
[17:44] <tremolux> New Apps: Further UI design input from mpt and discussion, development using app-review-board PPA continues (new-apps needs love this week)
[17:44] <tremolux> UI Enhancements: Great progress by Kiwinote in apturl integration features, Matthew McGowan working on new gtk-based details view
[17:45] <rickspencer3> mvo was able to "buy something" from his private PPA after resolving aptdaemon issue, branch at lp:~mvo/software-center/buy-something
[17:45] <rickspencer3> !!!!
[17:45] <rickspencer3> seriously?
[17:45] <rickspencer3> wow
[17:45] <tremolux> yeah!
[17:45] <tremolux> he said it is "rough", but it worked
[17:45] <rickspencer3> New Apps: Further UI design input from mpt and discussion
[17:45] <rickspencer3> has anyone come up with a name yet?
[17:46] <tremolux> no, I will get something asap tho
[17:46] <rickspencer3> tremolux, maybe a contest or something?
[17:46] <tremolux> hah, maybe!
[17:46] <rickspencer3> ACTION: rickspencer3 to propose a naming contest for new apps
[17:46] <rickspencer3> ACTION: rickspencer3 to find out who is doing the TDK testing, and make sure they do it
[17:47] <rickspencer3> tremolux, thanks for the update
[17:47] <tremolux> sure!
[17:47] <rickspencer3> sounds like software-center is coming along quite nicely for maverick
[17:47] <rickspencer3> moving on ...
[17:47] <rickspencer3> no didrocks, so no UNE update
[17:47] <rickspencer3> so, two quick things from me
[17:48] <rickspencer3> I bet some of you are wondering about performance reviews
[17:48] <rickspencer3> well ... I'm just waiting to hear about the raise and bonus numbers
[17:48] <rickspencer3> so I'm thinking next week
[17:49] <rickspencer3> we'll discuss goal setting at that time as well
[17:49] <seb128> ups
[17:49] <seb128> sorry about that
[17:49] <seb128> (note, don't test bugs during a meeting that might crash things)
[17:49] <rickspencer3> welcome back seb128
[17:49] <rickspencer3> lol
[17:49] <rickspencer3> never a bad time to test!
[17:49] <rickspencer3> okay
[17:49] <rickspencer3> next is the spring
[17:49] <rickspencer3> sprint, even
[17:50] <rickspencer3> ah, I see my update to the wiki got blown away
[17:51] <rickspencer3> so, we need to update the wiki with our goals for the sprint
[17:51] <rickspencer3> as Tech Lead, this will be seb128's sacred task
[17:51] <rickspencer3> for some reason, this is on the internal wiki:
[17:51] <seb128> Wink ;-)
[17:51] <rickspencer3> https://wiki.canonical.com/UbuntuPlatform/Sprints/Maverick/Desktop
[17:51] <rickspencer3> (sorry seb128)
[17:52] <seb128> the page seems pretty empty
[17:52] <rickspencer3> seb128, I think making the agenda has gotten a lot easier since we started tracking work items
[17:52] <rickspencer3> but there may be non work item things to add, as well
[17:52] <rickspencer3> like if you want someone to teach you something
[17:52] <rickspencer3> add it to the agenda
[17:53] <rickspencer3> seb128, so can you own filling in the agenda for us??
[17:53] <loneowais> lamalex: hey, i shifted that app to messaging menu
[17:53] <seb128> ok
[17:53] <lamalex> loneowais: sweet
[17:53] <loneowais> lamalex: the one we talked about yesterday
[17:53] <seb128> loneowais, hey, there is a meeting running atm
[17:53] <loneowais> oh
[17:53] <loneowais> sorry
[17:53] <loneowais> carry on
[17:53] <rickspencer3> loneowais, lamalex np, almost done
[17:53] <seb128> lamalex, loneowais: could you wait end of the meeting or use #ayatana?
[17:53] <kenvandine> Smile :)
[17:53] <loneowais> i'm in no hurry
[17:53] <loneowais> i can wait
[17:54] <rickspencer3> Smile :)
[17:54] <rickspencer3> moving on
[17:54] <rickspencer3> seb128, release status? anything there to discuss?
[17:54] <seb128> #ayatana could be nice since that's where people writing indicators hang
[17:54] <seb128> ok
[17:54] <seb128> not really
[17:54] <seb128> congrats on alpha2 everybody
[17:54] <seb128> http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/canonical-desktop-team-maverick-alpha-2.html
[17:54] <seb128> we have been mostly on track during this iteration and alpha2 is working nicely
[17:55] <seb128> now we track http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/canonical-desktop-team-maverick-alpha-3.html
[17:55] <seb128> and seems we are already behind a bit
[17:55] <seb128> (but there was a 3 days weekend and some people on holidays)
[17:56] <seb128> so let's rock on those
[17:56] <seb128> and don't forget to update your workitems regularly
[17:56] <seb128> that was about it, thanks
[17:56] <rickspencer3> seb128, when should we start looking at bugs?
[17:56] <seb128> rickspencer3, "depends" I would say Wink ;-)
[17:56] <seb128> it's still a bit early to focus on bugs now
[17:57] <seb128> but we turned apport on again in maverick
[17:57] <rickspencer3> thanks seb128
[17:57] <seb128> and it might be time to try to spot some of the importants issues in components you watch
[17:57] <seb128> and talk to upstream etc about those
[17:57] <rickspencer3> any other business?
[17:57] <seb128> quite some specs are still work in progress though and there is no real point spending lot of time on bugs for things changing still
[17:58] <seb128> rickspencer3, thanks
[17:58] <rickspencer3> thanks seb128, understood
[17:58] <rickspencer3> any other business?
[17:58] <seb128> not from me
[17:59] <rickspencer3> ok
[17:59] <rickspencer3> shall we call it a wrap?
[17:59] * rickspencer3 taps gavel


CategoryDesktopTeam

Back to DesktopTeam.

DesktopTeam/Meeting/2010-07-06 (last edited 2010-07-08 01:40:20 by robert-ancell)