This is a log or summary of an Edubuntu Meeting. Please go to the Meeting Page for more information about our meetings.
Meeting August 22, 2007
This is the Edubuntu Team Meeting, started on 22 August 2007, 12H00 - 14H00 (Etc/GMT).
- Where are we in the development cycle:
- What was the last deadline?
- What is the next deadline ?
- Progress over the last week?
- Items needing to be sorted out for the next deadline.
- Issues needing assistance for the next deadline.
- Any Other Items under Artwork.
- Any Other Items under Documentation.
- Planned Activities for coming week.
- Where are we in the development cycle:
- Where are we in the development cycle?
- ogra reports back as follows:
- lots of screensaver fixing for thin client usage (fixed several crashers, no graphics intensive modes being used anymore and no fading).
- lots of merges and code reviews of ltsp/ldm code (still more ahead).
- set spec status where possible (see list below).
- TCM needs a lot of love (fixing the user list functions to get it going with new ldm, easier vnc setup for the chroot/image).
- one massive bug outstanding to be solved before tribe 6 (bug 121547).
- tribe 5 planned for this Thursday, please help tesing.
- poking around with libflashsupport to get it to multiverse (flash sound on thin clients).
- get moodle status from moquist (no news yet, he contacted pitti about postgres db creation scripts).
ldm-loadbalancing -> vagrant to set status.
- Deferred for gutsy+1:
ltsp-management-gui -> (hope to get global settings going at least).
ltsp-local-apps -> sbalneav to set status.
ltsp-palm-devices -> sbalneav to report status.
- ogra reports back as follows:
- Where we are in the dev cycle?
- ogra noted that the last deadline was UVF/feature freeze.
- ogra noted that upstresam version freeze, nothing new can enter main anymore.
- What is the next deadline ... item and date?
orga noted that feature freeze is no new features can be adeed anymore (same exception rules) & next immediate dealine is tribe5 (thursday).
- Items needing to be sorted out for the next deadline?
- ogra noted that the next important deadline is beta release.
NOTE: bug 121547 needs to be solved before next tribe release.
- tribe6, archive is friozen this week until tribe5 is out.
ACTION: orga to squash bug 121547.
- Issues needing assistance for the next deadline?
- ogra noted that having two tribe releases instead of one before beta doesn't help here.
- moodle is still in the clouds, no feedback from mmoquist yet apart from him saying he wants to have it ready.
- sbalneav and vagrant need to clean up their spec statuses.
ACTION: 'ogra to follow up with sbalneav & vagrant.
ACTION: Jill to complete abstract concept for the default desktop.
NOTE: Final freeze for artwork: 20th September 2007.
- ogra noted that scott is currently busy with the documentation.
- How do we get more users at the meeting?
- German Ubucon
juliux noted that the time and date will be: 20-21 October 2007, Krefeld/Germany
Any Other Business
- None reported.
02:02 RichEd hi all ... start in 1 min ... 02:02 juliux ogra, ubotu is not here;) 02:02 ogra ah 02:03 RichEd Okay ... here is a test version of the agenda for Edubuntu-Devel ... the old tech part of the 2 hour meeting. 02:03 RichEd * 02:03 RichEd Technical 02:03 RichEd o 02:03 RichEd Where are we in the development cycle: 02:03 RichEd + 02:03 RichEd What was the last deadline ? 02:03 RichEd # 02:03 RichEd Item 02:03 RichEd # 02:03 RichEd Date 02:03 RichEd + 02:03 RichEd What is the next deadline ? 02:03 RichEd # 02:03 RichEd Item 02:03 RichEd # 02:03 RichEd Date 02:03 RichEd o 02:03 RichEd Progress over the last week 02:03 RichEd o 02:03 RichEd Items needing to be sorted out for the next deadline 02:03 RichEd o 02:03 RichEd Issues needing assistance for the next deadline 02:03 RichEd o 02:03 RichEd Any Other Items under Artwork 02:03 RichEd o 02:04 RichEd Any Other Items under Documentation 02:04 RichEd o 02:04 RichEd Planned Activities for coming week 02:04 RichEd let's try this out today and see if it works ... I'll drive the agenda. 02:04 RichEd ogra: Where are we in the development cycle ? 02:04 RichEd What was the last deadline ? 02:04 RichEd Item 02:04 RichEd Date 02:04 RichEd ?? 02:04 RichEd sorry about the shody paste ... wiki cut & paste adds line breaks :( 02:04 RichEd *shoddy 02:05 ogra well, lets see if my paste is better then :) 02:05 ogra == General == 02:05 ogra Done: 02:05 ogra - lots of screensaver fixing for thin client usage (fixed several crashers, no graphics intensive modes being used anymore and no fading) 02:05 ogra - lots of merges and code reviews of ltsp/ldm code (still more ahead) 02:05 ogra - set spec staus where possible (see list below) 02:05 ogra Ahead: 02:05 ogra - TCM needs a lot of love (fixing the userlist functions to get it going with new ldm, easier vnc setup for the chroot/image) 02:05 ogra - one massive bug outstanding to be solved before tribe 6 (bug 121547) 02:05 ogra - tribe 5 planned for this thursday, please help tesing 02:05 ogra - poking around with libflashsupport to get it to multiverse (flash sound on thin clients) 02:06 ogra - get moodle status from moquist (no news yet, he contacted pitti about postgres db creation scripts) 02:06 ogra == Specs == 02:06 ogra Implemented: 02:06 ogra - ltsp-boot-performance 02:06 ogra - ldm-improvements 02:06 ogra - fully-automatic-swapserver 02:06 ogra - ldm-loadbalancing -> vagrant to set status 02:06 ogra Deferred for gutsy+1: 02:06 ogra - ltspfs-virtual-hal-devices 02:06 ogra - gphoto-ltspfs 02:06 ogra - ltsp-update-manager-integration 02:06 ogra - ltsp-management-gui -> (hope to get global settings going at least) 02:06 ogra - ltsp-fat-clients 02:06 ogra - ltsp-local-apps -> sbalneav to set status 02:06 ogra Unknown: 02:06 ogra - ltsp-palm-devices -> sbalneav to report status 02:06 ogra i'll try to maintain such a report in the future, should keep the tech part short 02:07 RichEd that's great :) ... will be easy to make minutes & action list out of that ... 02:07 zul ./topic 02:07 zul sorry 02:07 ogra right 02:07 ogra zul, ubotu is gone, so no topic updates atm ... 02:07 RichEd can we work through my section suggestions ... to see how it fits together ... I still think we need contest as to where we are in the dev cycle (I know I do) :) 02:07 ogra (edubuntu meeting now) 02:07 RichEd What was the last deadline ? 02:08 RichEd What is the next deadline ? 02:08 ogra no idea ? 02:08 RichEd I mean in terms of the dev cycle ... last one was tribe 4 ? 02:08 gpocentek ogra: I think I have a libflashsupport somewhere if it can help 02:08 gpocentek a package* 02:08 ogra last deadline was UVF/feature freeze 02:09 ogra gpocentek, i have one ready already, but it was rejected, the one from the EdubuntuFAQ is horribly packaged 02:09 RichEd ah ... and explain that in 1 sentence for the technically challenged ... what is UVF ? 02:09 ogra i need to get it going with gnutls instead of libssl etc to get it included 02:09 gpocentek ogra: ok 02:09 ogra upstresam version freeze 02:09 ogra nothing new can enter main anymore 02:09 RichEd :) thanks 02:10 ogra (unless you do a bit of paperwork and get a review) 02:10 RichEd and what is the next deadline ... item and date ? 02:10 ogra feture freeze is no new features can be adeed anymore (same exception rules) 02:10 ogra next immediate dealine is tribe5 (thursday) 02:10 RichEd * Items needing to be sorted out for the next deadline ? 02:10 ogra next important deadline is beta release 02:11 ogra bug 121547 needs to be solved before next tribe release 02:11 toutouff I've got a problem with pbuilder, could you help me ? 02:11 ogra (tribe6, archive is friozen this week until tribe5 is out) 02:11 ogra toutouff, we're in the middle of a meeting and this is no support channel, try #ubuntu-motu 02:12 toutouff sorry, wrong channel 02:12 toutouff :/ 02:12 RichEd ogra: quick summary of the bug ? and what needs to be done to squash it ? 02:12 ogra i need to rewrite the installed bits for ltsp 02:13 RichEd and will you be able to manage in time for the deadline ? 02:13 ogra https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/121547 02:13 ogra at least for beta i can guarantee it ... cant promise it for tribe 6 02:13 ogra but i'll do my best 02:13 RichEd * Issues needing assistance for the next deadline ? 02:13 ogra having two tribe releases instead of one before beta doesnt help here :/ 02:14 RichEd can anyone help you with that bug or anything else ? 02:14 ogra not wi5th that bug, no 02:14 ogra i listed actions above where others are required 02:15 ogra moodle is still in the clouds, no feedback from mmoquist yet apart from him saying he wants to have it ready 02:15 ogra sbalneav and vagrant need to clean up theoir spec statuses 02:15 RichEd will you prod them, or will it help if i ask nicely as well :) 02:15 ogra beyond that i get all help i can get from scottie during this bugfixing phase 02:16 ogra i'll go after them, all fine 02:16 highvoltage ogra: is vagrant doing full-time ltsp now? 02:16 ogra no 02:16 ogra he's doing freegek 02:16 ogra *freegeek 02:16 highvoltage ah 02:17 ogra he still didnt get his stuff sorted 02:17 RichEd * Any Other Items under Artwork 02:18 ogra anyway, thats all from tech side, any other questions ? 02:18 ogra not yet ... i'll need to tackle the artwork package and do some cleanups .. but thats for tribe6 02:18 RichEd Fine ... Jill mailed to say thanks for the feedback in the meeting last week. 02:18 ogra scott is already preparing docs for the new ltsp stuff we have 02:19 RichEd I mentioned the abstract concept for the default desktop, and she said she would try to complete some she had started. 02:19 ogra good 02:19 ogra i'm fine with the one we have as "young" flavor 02:19 RichEd When is the final freeze for artwork ? 02:19 RichEd official and unofficial ;) 02:19 ogra (the logo could be a bit less in the face though) 02:20 RichEd are you talking about her sample ? the logo comment ? 02:20 highvoltage RichEd: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyReleaseSchedule 02:20 ogra sept 20th is final 02:20 ogra yes 02:20 ogra i'm talking about the sample 02:20 RichEd okay ... i'll add that to the comment page she is working off 02:20 ogra the logo is very huge and to much in the face imho 02:21 RichEd I wanted to give her samples of all of the old default desktops we shipped, but art.ubuntu.com is out of action 02:21 RichEd So I have given her the 2 I have access to ... LTS and feisty 02:21 ogra osdir ususally has a bunch 02:21 RichEd osdir ? not familiar with that ? 02:21 ogra LTS was the chalkboard ... 02:21 ogra osdir.com 02:21 RichEd okay will check for more ... 02:22 ogra edgy and feisty were the best ones we had yet 02:22 RichEd * Any Other Items under Documentation 02:22 ogra as i said, scott is on it and i'll review 02:22 RichEd okay ... is that it for tech then ? anyone with questions ? 02:23 RichEd Okay .... some general discussion for people who are interested: 02:23 RichEd * how do we get more users at the meeting ? 02:24 RichEd I can advertise in the mail list, but I need to get an idea of what topics will pull people in to attend. 02:24 juliux RichEd, for me one meeting per weeks is too much 02:25 juliux RichEd, if it would be only once a month then there could be more topics and more people 02:25 ogra juliux, well, we have different people at the differently scheduled meetings 02:25 RichEd juliux: so would you suggest tech every week, and users once a month ? 02:25 juliux RichEd, yes 02:25 RichEd If we have a edubuntu-users section of the meeting, we can start some debate / poll topics on the mail list, and then meet to discuss monthly ? 02:25 RichEd so keep it down to 1 hour per week for tech & general dev ... 02:25 ogra one in the evening and one in the morning 02:26 juliux ogra, that is also fine 02:26 ogra and we need to find a solution for EC if we do that as well 02:26 RichEd that would work for me as well ... every second week ... 02:26 RichEd but then we are always at the same time ... no variance for the US people 02:26 ogra RichEd, twice a month with alternating times 02:26 ogra as we have iot now, but skip two a month 02:27 RichEd perhaps first meeting of the month ... and do the EC stuff ... and then 3 weeks after that ? 02:27 RichEd that will alternate the times ? 02:27 ogra yeah 02:27 juliux RichEd, one meeting in the morning one in the evening;) 02:28 RichEd okay, let me look at the dates coming up ... and play a bit and then make some suggestions 02:28 ogra good 02:28 RichEd pips1 is not here for community 02:29 RichEd I have nothing else to discuss for today ... and some conference calls coming up ... 02:29 RichEd Anyone else with topics / questions ? 02:29 juliux yeah 02:29 juliux i want to invite you all the german ubucon;) we will have an extra education track 02:29 RichEd great :) 02:30 RichEd have you got a fridge article up ? 02:30 juliux RichEd, yes 02:30 RichEd and did you send a mail to the edubuntu lists ? 02:30 juliux RichEd, there will be an other if the programm is online 02:30 juliux RichEd, that will come next week 02:30 RichEd good ... what sort of audience are you expecting ? size and type of person ? 02:31 RichEd and give the dates and locations here in the channel, so it can go in the minutes 02:31 juliux we hope betwenn 200 and 500 people 02:31 juliux and there will we everything from developer over normal users to newbies 02:31 RichEd all linux converts already, or some people looking to jump in ? 02:31 juliux date is 20. and 21. october in krefeld/germany 02:32 juliux we think some new people 02:32 juliux the university will invite local schools 02:32 RichEd do you need any more material / presentations / ubuntu stuff ? 02:32 juliux we only need talks;) 02:32 cliebow__ ttfn 02:33 RichEd I have a presentation on Edubuntu reference cases ... if someone is prepared to speak on that, I can help them with the slides ? 02:34 RichEd okay ... any other issues for today ? 02:34 RichEd ogra ... are you okay to wind up now ? 02:34 juliux RichEd, cool 02:34 ogra sure :) 02:34 RichEd going once ... 02:34 RichEd going twice ... 02:35 RichEd BONG ... thanks all