Not strictly a specification, but a dump of the discussion at UDS Maverick.
UDS Session - 12 May 2010
Related spec (schooltool): https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-maverick-schooltool
Purpose of meeting: create plan for education packages that need attention in Maverick. Packages to discuss:
- Schooltool (needs a bunch of Zope dependencies, didn't make it in time for Lucid, a session on maverick-zope-packages running right now, not sure if it's directly related)
- Sugar (currently in Ubuntu, some packages are 0.88 and some are 0.86 and may need to be updated, if someone could provide some clarity on that it would be great)
If there's time, we could perhaps discuss the possibility of an edubuntu-server task.
Administration & gradebook tool
- Magnus will maintain all zope3 packages in Ubuntu, so zope shouldn't be a
- problem from here on
- In the next 6 months, hopefully 25 schools in Cambodia, perhaps nationwide by
- Also working with schools in Zambia, El Salvador
Edubuntu Server Task
- Could include packages like schooltool
- Not necessarily on Ubuntu Server disc (depending on space)
- Perhaps on text installer on Edubuntu DVD?(sorry can't hear so nice with skype)
- Task in net installer can be done first
Debian has orphaned the project: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-devel/2010-May/003456.html
- Debian had a redesign of Moodle packaging in git but basically task was too large to be finished
- Simplify scope, depend on postgres
- If someone really wants separate db server or using mysql or something else, they
- need to wait until we get the workable package first
- Will upstream be willing to provide security updates for 4-5 years in Debian?
Pick version for Lucid & Squeeze that can be maintained for that time
- Having moodle-scripts could possibly be more work than packaging it properly
- and generally a bad idea (think flash plugin)
- What version is Canonical using?
- jbicha will contact Tomek to see about packaging progress
- Contact Ubuntu Sugar team, get update on current Sugar status
Touch-screen / smarboard tools: (I didn't quite get the names please populate)
Future perhaps (radar):
School Interoperability Framework (SIF) (openzis.org)
* mhall119 will create a gnome-based session that we could ship on the DVD