Server-oriented Task List
do not edit this page before reading about the Ubuntu engineer certification. Main points indicate category headings. Bullet points indicate tasks.
The Task List
- installing over a network
- performing a server installation
- creating a multi-boot system
- installing without a cdrom drive
- configuring TFTP netbooting
- configuring local and network sources
- searching the local package archive
- setting up a local mirror
- managing packages using aptitude / synaptic
- building binary packages from source packages
- manually configuring the network interfaces file (including static and dynamic configurations for ethernet and wifi)
- setting up am iptables firewall
- setting up a DHCP server
- setting up a DNS server
- setting up a TFTP server
- setting up samba and/or NFS
- configuring PAM (on clients) and LDAP (on servers)
- configuring kerberos?
- configuring NIS?
Disaster management and recovery
- Knowing how to setup RAID
- Designing/implementing a backup scheme
Boot process and Service management
- enabling and disabling services during boot (i.e. configuring runlevels):
- using update-rc.d
Configuring major applications
- configuring the MTA
- configuring the web server
- configuring a proxy server?
- Doing basic security checks
- Knowing how to interpret log files
- Configuring host-based firewalling using iptables and perhaps scripts/gui?
- configuring locales
- reporting a bug