We are preparing Kubuntu Eoan Ermine (19.10) for release in October, 2019. With this Beta pre-release, you can see what we are testing in preparation for our next version.
The Kubuntu team will be releasing 19.10 in October.
This is Beta Release. Kubuntu Beta Releases are NOT recommended for:
- Regular users who are not aware of pre-release issues
- Anyone who needs a stable system
- Anyone uncomfortable running a possibly frequently broken system
- Anyone in a production environment with data or workflows that need to be reliable
Kubuntu Beta Releases are recommended for:
- Regular users who want to help us test by finding, reporting, and/or fixing bugs
- Kubuntu, KDE, and Qt developers
Please report your results on the Release tracker.
Getting Kubuntu 19.10 Beta
Upgrading from 19.04
To upgrade to a Kubuntu 19.10 pre-release from 18.10, run sudo do-release-upgrade -d from a command line.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have the Plasma 5.17 Beta testing PPA enabled, you will need to ppa-purge this PPA before starting the upgrade. (It can be added back with packages built for Eoan after upgrade, if you desire)
sudo ppa-purge kubuntu-ppa/beta
Download a Disk Image
Download a Bootable image. Direct downloads, torrents, and zysnc are available as options.
New features and changes in 19.10 Beta
Core desktop and applications
Plasma 5.16: simple by default, powerful when needed
Plasma 5, the new generation of KDE's desktop has been developed to make it smoother to use while retaining the familiar setup. The Plasma 5.16 series is the default in this version of Kubuntu.||
Plasma 5.16 has been developed to make it smoother to use while retaining the familiar setup. Kubuntu ships the 4th scheduled bugfix release of 5.16 (5.16.5).
KDE Applications 19.04.3
Kubuntu comes with KDE Applications 19.04.3 containing all your favourite apps from KDE. Provided is the 19.04.3 update with bugfixes and translation updates.
Web browser and office suite
Kubuntu 19.10 Beta ships with Qt 5.12.4
Other new and updated applications
- latte-dock 0.9.2 is now in the Ubuntu archive.
- Elisa 0.4.2 music player is now in the Ubuntu archive.
- Kdenlive and Yakuake are bumped to version 19.08.1 to take advantage of new features.
- Krita is updated to the latest 4.2.6
- Kdevelop is updated to the latest 5.4.2
- Ktorrent has been updated to the latest bugfix version, with fixes for downloading from webseeds.
Plasma Wayland session
A Plasma Wayland session can be added by installing the package plasma-workspace-wayland, but is not supported. This will add a Plasma (wayland) session option at the login scree. Users needing a stable desktop experience should select the normal 'Plasma' (without Wayland) option at login.
KDE4 support removed
All KDE4 libraries and applications have been removed from the 19.10 archive, and are therefore not supported.
(1681144) Clicking on URLs in Kubuntu Installer Slideshow does nothing
(1681830) Ubiquity installer - No Label shown for where to enter LVM Encryption Passwords fields
(1681830) No wireless networks displayed for broadcom BCM43142
(1442512) Apport-kde crash when reporting bugs
(1706859) Auto-selected keyboard layout no longer matches chosen region on "Where are you" page
Development of Kubuntu 19.10, Eoan Ermine, is ongoing and bugs are fixed every day. Before reporting bugs, please ensure your system is up to date. For verifying installation related bugs, updated disk images are available from Daily bootable images for standard PCs and laptops.