Please check the status of this specification in Launchpad before editing it. If it is Approved, contact the Assignee or another knowledgeable person before making changes.
Packages affected: gcc*, gcj*, glibc, binutils
Define features and versions to use in feisty, demoting/removing old compiler versions; use the upstream versions which are available now.
- glibc: 2.5, as available in feisty, using DT_GNU_HASH support.
- binutils-220.127.116.11.6, as available in feisty, using DT_GNU_HASH support.
- gcc: 4.1, as available in feisty; upgrade to the 4.1.2 release or the 4.1.2 branch until UVF.
- C++: backport the C++ visibility changes to 4.1; needs changes in packages to use this feature (i.e. KDE).
- gcj: Decide before UVF about gcj-4.2 or gcj-4.1, depending on the upstream 4.2 release date. If 4.2 is released/in prerelease state, the java packages and libgcc will be built from the gcj-4.2 sources.
- Change the long double data type on sparc and powerpc from 64bit to 128bit, essential for glibc-2.4
BoF agenda and discussion
- Define versions to use in feisty
Select proposals suggested at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdgyPlusOneToolchainRoadmap
- Demoting/removing old compiler versions
- long-double-128 change on powerpc and sparc