Here's a very rough list of wishlist/feature requests for the fontforge font design suite by George Williams.
It is a very advanced program but from the perspective of designers things could be improved.
The changelog is moving fast and well worth watching: http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/changelog.html
This initial list comes from listening to feedback from designers giving Fontforge a quick test drive. This doesn't take into account the possible complexity of actually implementing these features. It's basically a summary of "wouldn't it be nice if fontforge had this feature?" conversations.
Feel free to add your own thoughts and refine this list:
- change grey background to white (DONE)
- improve OS X packaging (Aqua port?)
- reduce the node points
- consider implementing a python interpreter to be able to reuse Fontlab scripts (DONE)
- provide an UFO import/export filter (DONE)
- include better graphic tablet support
- allow shortcuts to be redefined
- provide an options to synchronize menus with Fontlab where possible (gimpshop-like)
- drop the not-quite respectful error messages
- be able to see point coordinates in the canvas
- GTK+ port: UNDERWAY - mostly the viewer
- better hinting tools
- better tools to tweak smart features (like Graphite description language)
Microsoft Visual OpenType Tool (VOLT) like UI
- VOLT like accessibility and improvement for non-latin complex scripts like range Indic Scripts and others.