This guide will allow you to install Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron without a CD. It was adapted and integrated from here.
Things You Need
In order to do this, you will need:
Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04) ALTERNATE .iso (remember to mark "Check here if you need the alternate desktop CD."
- At least two partitions on your hard drive.
vmlinuz & initrd.gz files from Hardy - NOT the ones included on the .iso
1. Create a /boot folder on your secondary HD partition, and move the alternate .iso and the vmlinuz & initrd.gz from step (2) onto it.
2. If you don't have Grub already installed, install it on a removable media or Hard Disk. Then, edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the following entry:
title Install Ubuntu Hardy root (hd0,2) kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=normal ramdisk_size=149720 root=/dev/rd/0 rw -- initrd /boot/initrd.gz
Note: Change (hd0,2) to your hard drive partition. Remember that they start on 0, so (hd1,3) Refers to drive 2 and partition 4.
3. Now restart your system. If you installed GRUB on a removable drive, don't forget to insert it first.
4. Follow the installation procedure as you usually would.