2012-07-03

Ubuntu-ie July 2012 Team IRC Meeting

This Ubuntu Ireland Team IRC meeting was held at 9pm Irish time on Tuesday the 3rd of July 2012, in the #ubuntu-ie channel on FreeNode.

  • Note: The LoCo Team Portal listing for this meeting can be found here

Meeting started by ebel at 20:07:25 UTC. The full logs are available at http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-ie/2012/ubuntu-ie.2012-07-03-20.07.log.html .

Meeting summary

LINK: http://loco.ubuntu.com/meetings/ubuntu-ie/441/detail/ (ebel, 20:08:22)

  • Website
  • CDs
  • another ubuntu hour?
  • Any other Business?

Meeting ended at 20:58:46 UTC.

Votes

  • should we cancel website?
    • For: 5 Against: 0 Abstained: 0

Action items

  • (none)

People present (lines said)

  • ebel (81)
  • airurando (36)
  • Mokmeister (30)
  • tdr112 (16)
  • Victor9098 (15)
  • meetingology (13)
  • zmoylan (3)
  • airurando2 (1)

Full Log

  • 20:07:25 <ebel> #startmeeting

    20:07:25 <meetingology> Meeting started Tue Jul 3 20:07:25 2012 UTC. The chair is ebel. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.

    20:07:25 <meetingology>

    20:07:25 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired 20:07:36 * ebel is chairing the meeting

    20:07:46 <ebel> Please say "PRESENT" if you're here and paying attention.

    20:07:49 <ebel> PRESENT

    20:07:53 <Victor9098> PRESENT

    20:07:55 <airurando> PRESENT

    20:08:03 <zmoylan> PRESENT

    20:08:09 <Mokmeister> Present

    20:08:19 <ebel> as mentioned the agenda page is here: http://loco.ubuntu.com/meetings/ubuntu-ie/441/detail/

    20:08:22 <ebel> #link http://loco.ubuntu.com/meetings/ubuntu-ie/441/detail/

    20:09:09 <ebel> #agenda Website

    20:09:13 <ebel> #topic Website

    20:09:39 <ebel> right, the ubuntu-ie website hosting on blacknight has expired.

    20:09:51 <ebel> it being 1 year since we renewed Smile :)

    20:09:56 <ebel> So what do we want to do?

    20:10:36 <Mokmeister> Options?

    20:10:42 <airurando> Blacknight have very kindly sponsored two years hosting now.

    20:10:42 <tdr112> hello

    20:10:49 <ebel> We could (a) ask blacknight to please donate another year of hosting (as they have done very kindly for 2 years) or (b) tell them we don't need it anymore

    20:10:53 <Victor9098> What sort of traffic did it get? Is it worth keeping up or will the loco.ubuntu do (with twitter/G+ accounts etc.)?

    20:10:57 <airurando> no website

    20:11:11 <airurando> no need for a host

    20:11:15 <ebel> Victor9098: there is no website. No-one has created or set up or maintained the website.

    20:11:18 <tdr112> we never use it

    20:11:25 <ebel> Hence why I'm leaning towards cancellation.

    20:11:27 <Victor9098> ok...thats that then Big Grin :)

    20:11:35 <tdr112> we have had it for 2 years and not done anything

    20:11:41 <Mokmeister> Seems reasonable.

    20:11:45 <Victor9098> I always go to and link to the loco.ubuntu

    20:11:53 <tdr112> ebel: call a vote on it

    20:11:56 <ebel> twas a nice idea. Alas nothing happened

    20:12:03 <ebel> #vote should we cancel website?

    20:12:03 <meetingology> Please vote on: should we cancel website?

    20:12:03 <meetingology> Public votes can be registered by saying +1, +0 or -1 in channel, (private votes don't work yet, but when they do it will be by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0 to me)

    20:12:16 <ebel> er +1 for 'yes cancel it' -1 for 'no ask for another year'

    20:12:21 <ebel> +1

    20:12:21 <meetingology> +1 received from ebel

    20:12:21 <Victor9098> +1

    20:12:21 <meetingology> +1 received from Victor9098

    20:12:23 <tdr112> +1

    20:12:23 <meetingology> +1 received from tdr112

    20:12:33 <zmoylan> +1

    20:12:33 <meetingology> +1 received from zmoylan

    20:12:49 <Mokmeister> Where is my plus sign?

    20:12:56 <Mokmeister> Wink ;)

    20:13:10 <Mokmeister> +1

    20:13:10 <meetingology> +1 received from Mokmeister

    20:13:35 <ebel> consensus seems clear…

    20:14:04 <ebel> #endvote

    20:14:04 <meetingology> Voting ended on: should we cancel website?

    20:14:04 <meetingology> Votes for:5 Votes against:0 Abstentions:0

    20:14:04 <meetingology> Motion carried

    20:14:19 <ebel> poor old airurando's internet is poor…

    20:14:24 <Victor9098> We really do not need to be paying for hosting, plenty of options to get the message out and raise awareness

    20:14:33 <ebel> anything else on the website?

    20:14:46 <ebel> Victor9098: aye, we have a good bare minimum now

    20:15:02 <tdr112> ebel: can we email blacknight and thank them

    20:15:17 <ebel> tdr112: yes, I'll do that.

    20:15:18 <tdr112> for the hosting so far so we leave on good terms

    20:15:31 <ebel> yes, it was very kind of them to do that for us.

    20:15:46 <Mokmeister> Should we thank them publicly?

    20:16:06 <ebel> Mokmeister: yes.

    20:16:07 <airurando2> awful shame we never got up and running with a website on blacknight.

    20:16:39 <ebel> airurando2: aye.

    20:16:42 <Mokmeister> Yeah

    20:16:59 <ebel> #topic CDs

    20:17:15 <ebel> right, we (i.e. I) have the ubuntu ie loco set of CDs for this release.

    20:17:43 <ebel> They are from canonical, professional pressed CDs, and for promotion of ubuntu within ireland

    20:17:55 <ebel> if you think you can help with that, send me a SAE and i'll send you some CDs.

    20:18:07 <tdr112> we could give some out at makerfaire

    20:18:12 <ebel> uptake has been… slow… there are loads of CDs left.

    20:18:19 <ebel> suggestions welcome…

    20:18:55 <Victor9098> I just upgraded all the fam over the web (and always have a LiveUSB on me Big Grin :) )

    20:18:56 <ebel> tdr112: good idea. I was tempted to go to that. P'haps I should hand you over some CDs shortly just in case

    20:19:04 <Mokmeister> Ebel, as I said, I've put out an ad at work, have 12 requests already.

    20:19:21 <ebel> Mokmeister: kewl. yep saw them emails. Good to see interest

    20:19:46 <Mokmeister> Did you get the sae yet? Probably not

    20:20:00 <Mokmeister> I only sent it monday

    20:20:28 <ebel> Mokmeister: not yet

    20:20:59 <ebel> any other ideas wrt CDs?

    20:21:15 <ebel> airurando made a good point (ages ago) that since this is a LTS, it'll be useful for years for people.

    20:21:15 <tdr112> have another ubuntu hour in late july

    20:21:35 <ebel> So there's no rush to get rid of these soon. They won't be obseleted in a few months

    20:22:23 <airurando> I think the life long learning festivals in Cork and Limerick could be a good place to use these CDs

    20:22:40 <Mokmeister> Indeed.

    20:23:03 <Mokmeister> The lifelong learning festival in limerick was in may though I thought?

    20:23:05 <airurando> people from both Nexus cork and MilkLabs Limerick have expressed initial interest

    20:23:09 <tdr112> maybe if we hit up some coder dojos

    20:23:39 <airurando> Mokmeister indeed, I'm thinking 2013

    20:23:47 <Mokmeister> I think the coder dojos would be a great idea

    20:23:59 <ebel> aye coder dojo is a good idea

    20:24:16 <tdr112> ok how about i take up the job of contacting some of them

    20:25:06 <Mokmeister> Yeah, I could contact some in Limerick, Clare, maybe Kerry area

    20:25:18 <ebel> that would be very helpful

    20:25:28 <ebel> since we need to knock on their door

    20:26:01 <Mokmeister> Email?

    20:26:14 <ebel> yeah, email em all

    20:27:22 <tdr112> i will contact some of the dublin ones

    20:27:37 <Mokmeister> I was only looking into coder dojos there the other day (my kids are 8 and 7), and of the ones I liked at seem to be contactable electronically

    20:27:57 <Mokmeister> Looked

    20:28:14 <airurando> If there is a meetup in Dublin soon i'd like to take some.

    20:28:22 <Mokmeister> I'm doing this from my phone, you'll have to forgive me!

    20:28:38 <ebel> thanks guys

    20:28:50 <ebel> another ubuntu hour is prob a good idea, sometime

    20:30:02 <ebel> so if the coder dojos say "yes please", what do ye wanna do? Just send them my address? I can do the stuffing envelopes? Something else?

    20:30:26 <ebel> (likewise lifelong learning, will people (who?) do the same again?)

    20:31:08 <airurando> I'll try to keep a track on Lifelong Learning

    20:31:21 <airurando> for 2013

    20:31:57 <ebel> cool, thanks airurando

    20:33:13 <ebel> ye all know my address to give out? If not ping me, i'll send it to ye.

    20:33:34 <Mokmeister> Ok

    20:34:39 <ebel> any other thoughts on CDs?

    20:36:09 <Mokmeister> Can't think of anything at the moment

    20:36:16 <tdr112> just had someome screem ubuntu out of a moving car

    20:36:30 <airurando> could we call meetups or UHs in areas for say 4 weeks time to distribute some?

    20:36:39 <airurando> nice tdr112

    20:36:45 <ebel> airurando: good idea

    20:36:50 <ebel> #topic another ubuntu hour?

    20:37:01 <airurando> noot too soon

    20:37:10 <airurando> plenty of time to promote

    20:37:35 <tdr112> 28th?

    20:37:54 <Victor9098> If anybody is in Vue Dublin at 5am on 20th July I will be happy to have an impromptu UH (Batman fan Wink ;) ) 20:39:05 * ebel could maybe do early afternoon on sat 28th july, busy in evennig, maybe all day…

    20:39:20 <Victor9098> +1 on early afternoon

    20:39:32 <airurando> is the August bank holiday the first monday?

    20:39:41 <ebel> 20th I'll be away

    20:40:13 <ebel> airurando: aye. mon 6th aug

    20:41:59 <ebel> so maaaaybe 28th from me…

    20:42:03 <airurando> ebel: are you suggesting 20th or are you available on 28th?

    20:42:14 <airurando> sorry

    20:42:27 <ebel> not available 20th

    20:42:36 <ebel> miiiight be available 28th

    20:42:36 <airurando> 28th I think maybeeeee also for me

    20:42:53 <ebel> could go for sat 4th aug?

    20:43:14 <airurando> bank holiday weekend

    20:43:23 <tdr112> grand by me

    20:43:32 <airurando> not sure

    20:44:12 <airurando> geeknic last bank holiday was poorly attended

    20:44:25 <Victor9098> I already have other plans that weekend

    20:44:33 <ebel> doodle poll…. ?

    20:44:44 <airurando> what about the 11th or 18th of August

    20:45:07 <airurando> I don't like the idea of a doodle poll

    20:45:07 <Victor9098> Anything other then the bank holiday suits me

    20:45:30 <airurando> there is no real rush in this

    20:45:54 <airurando> I reckon mid to late August would be fine if people are available?

    20:46:59 <ebel> last 2 weekends of august no good for me (away on honeymoon)

    20:47:12 <ebel> may need to be away one weekend in aug

    20:47:25 <airurando> ohhh sorry

    20:48:25 <ebel> Wink ;)

    20:48:36 <ebel> well i dunno

    20:48:37 <Mokmeister> Congrats! I'm going top a wedding mid August too, good time to get married! 20:48:49 * ebel got married a month or so ago

    20:49:03 * ebel doesn't understand why you'd go honeymoon straight after the wedding Smile :)

    20:49:13 <Mokmeister> Lol

    20:49:15 <airurando> ebel dead right

    20:49:23 <airurando> go when you choose

    20:49:26 <ebel> anyway, dunno when to have UH

    20:49:46 <ebel> hence suggesting doodle poll, then we can sort out when lots of people are free?

    20:50:13 <airurando> aye but if you are not free there is little point

    20:50:21 <airurando> you have the CDs

    20:50:29 <airurando> so you call the date and time

    20:51:06 <ebel> oh good point

    20:51:12 <airurando> I just ask for a fair amount of time to promote

    20:51:23 <airurando> If it goes to Sept so be it!

    20:51:33 <ebel> well find the best time when (a) I'm free and (b) more other people are free ?

    20:51:57 <Mokmeister> I'm not sure about cds for uh. Isn't it like bringing beer to a pub?

    20:52:13 <Mokmeister> Just putting the question out there

    20:52:20 <airurando> good point Mokmeister

    20:53:09 <ebel> huh?

    20:53:12 <zmoylan> but some of the attendees might have a user in mind for the disks?

    20:53:32 <ebel> ah "preeching to the choir" sorta?

    20:53:43 <Mokmeister> Indeed

    20:53:49 <ebel> well those people might know people?

    20:53:59 <ebel> and get past the backlog of me?

    20:54:13 <Victor9098> Yes, no broadband out where I live, so the CDs are really handy

    20:54:20 <Mokmeister> But yeah, people might have ideas alright.

    20:54:35 <ebel> ok, i'll make a doodle poll of when I'm free, and send that to the mailing list? please mark your preferences, and we'll see from there?

    20:54:45 <ebel> some weekend afternoon in dublin city centre?

    20:55:00 <tdr112> ebel: if you cant be there i will meet you the week before and get them from you

    20:55:08 <Victor9098> Sounds good

    20:55:11 <ebel> tdr112: yes, we could that aswell

    20:55:41 <ebel> grand

    20:55:48 <ebel> #topic Any other Business?

    20:56:35 <Victor9098> Should have given out the cds at the wedding... Wink ;)

    20:56:59 <Mokmeister> Lol!

    20:57:31 <airurando> Mokmeister had a good point on IRC a week or so ago regarding reviving the LoCo but as we are approaching an hour I think we should finish

    20:57:58 <Mokmeister> Yes actually, things are quiet.

    20:58:24 <airurando> Mokmeister solid topic for August?

    20:58:32 <Victor9098> Must be due to this glorious weather

    20:58:38 <Mokmeister> Ok

    20:58:41 <ebel> ok

    20:58:46 <ebel> #endmeeting

Generated by MeetBot 0.1.5 (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology)


Parent pages: IrishTeam/IRCMeetings IrishTeam


CategoryIrishTeam

IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2012-07-03 (last edited 2012-08-15 18:51:00 by airurando)