Hi, I'm the Lead of UbuntuKylin, a Chinese flavor of Ubuntu. I'm also the vice director of the desktop OS lab in National University of Defense Technology (NUDT), China. I have become a Linux lover since I wrote my first USB driver at my undergraduate course at 2003. I studied one year in National University of Singapore during 2008-2009 and graduated with my PhD thesis "Research on Measurement and Security of P2P Networks" at 2010. After that, I devoted myself into the Ubuntu world.
2011.01-2013.09, Spread Ubuntu to thousands of students and create the first Linux club with 300+ members in our University.
- 2012.06.17, I organized the speech of Mark Shuttleworth (Founder of Ubuntu) at NUDT, more than 400 students attending this report and make Ubuntu known by many non-computer science students.
2013.01.16, I organized the speech of Jon Melamut (VP of Canonical) at NUDT, more than 200 students attending this report and sharing the news about upcoming Ubuntu touch&phone.
2012.07-2013.09, Make UbuntuKylin the eighth recognized flavor of Ubuntu and lead the development and release of UbuntuKylin 13.04 & 13.10.
2013-2-18 & 2013-3-4, I joined the Ubuntu TB meeting together with Anthony Wong, and finally got UbuntuKylin accepted as a Ubuntu Flavor.
2013-3-21, the CCN Joint Lab was founded by CSIP, Canonical and NUDT to make UbuntuKylin better and spread the open source software to Chinese.
- Attend #ubuntu-release every day and join some discussion on Ubuntu release rules.
2013.06.15, Manage the UbuntuKylin Developer Summit
2013.05-2013.09, Organize the release party of Ubuntu/UbuntuKylin 13.04 at Beijing & Changsha of China (600+ audience), and give speeches of Ubuntu/UbuntuKylin on several conferences.
- 2013.05.11, I organized the release party of Ubuntu/UbuntuKylin 13.04 at Beijing with my partners (Anthony Wong, Jonas Zhang, Jun Ma, Zhengpeng Hou, etc).
- 2013.05.18, I organized the release party of Ubuntu/UbuntuKylin 13.04 at Changsha with my partners (Jonas Zhang, Jun Ma, Anthony Wong, Yue Chen, etc).
- 2013.06.18, I was invited to give a talk on Ubuntu/UbuntuKylin by OS Force (Open Source Force) at Shanghai.
More information could be found on OS Force website: http://www.osforce.cn/oscon/
- 2013.06.28, I was awarded as one of the "Outstanding Contributor on Open Source" at the eighth OCOW conference at Beijing.
More information could be found on OCOW website: http://special.csdn.net/ocow2013/index.html
- 2013.10.24, I'm invited to give a talk on Ubuntu Unity Next by CNCC (China National Computer Congress) 2013 of CCF (China Computer Federation) at Changsha.
More information could be found on CNCC website: http://cncc.ccf.org.cn/cncc-richengo
More information of UbuntuKylin and me could be found at the website: www.ubuntukylin.com.
- Spread Ubuntu/UbuntuKylin to all around in China;
Provide better and better UbuntuKylin for Chinese users;
- Build good hardware and software environment for Ubuntu/UbuntuKylin.
Note: This section is for people who aren't Ubuntu members to cheer or comments that aren't testimonials from existing members.
Jack has made a lot of good contributions to Ubuntu/UbuntuKylin and local open-source community. He also, as the lead of UbuntuKylin, works very hard to make Ubuntu/UbuntuKylin to be much popular in China. It's really comfortable and my honor to have the chance to co-work with Jack on UbuntuKylin project. With having the membership, I believe that Jack will be able to keeping contributing more and more for Ubuntu and UbunutKylin. -- jzheng 2018-12-16 15:46:27
I have been working with Jack since UbuntuKylin started, he is smart, diligent and always willing to learn. He has been managing the blueprints of the UbuntuKylin project and also handling its bugs. We also co-organized the Ubuntu/UbuntuKylin 13.04 release party in Beijing. He also shows great leadership in the UbuntuKylin project. All in all, he has really contributed a lot, makes him a suitable candidate for Ubuntu Membership. Looking forward to him spreading FLOSS to every corner of China. -- anthonywong 2013-09-13 16:46:00
Note: This section is for existing Ubuntu members to leave testimonials. People who aren't Ubuntu members can leave a comment above in favor of the application.
It is an honour to work with Jack so that UbuntuKylin can be on track. He tries to learn a lot, and he's gaining quite a bit of experience. He is fully dedicated to his work on making Ubuntu available for all Chinese users. I sincerely promote him for Ubuntu Membership. -- smartboyhw 2013-09-10 11:03:28
I have been working closely with Jack Yu on UbuntuKylin project for nearly two months, and we had cooperated on the project much longer before that. He is very enthusiastic on pushing the project forward and have been doing a great job, and he is eager to make Ubuntu and open source software more usable for Chinese people. UbuntuKylin project is a recognized flavor of Ubuntu focuses on localized experience for China. Not liking other flavors that prompts certain technique (e.g. Kubuntu for KDE), it's basic goal is enhancing Ubuntu's experience for Chinese users. -- happyaron 2013-09-17 17:34:42
I've been doing some reviews/sponsoring for Jack this year, he's motivated and has been doing good work. Having him as an Ubuntu members makes sense, +1 from me there -- seb128