We are preparing Kubuntu Jammy Jellyfish (22.04 LTS) for release in April, 2022. With this Beta pre-release, you can see what we are testing in preparation for our next version.
This is Beta Release. Kubuntu Beta Releases are NOT recommended for:
- Regular users who are not aware of pre-release issues
- Anyone who needs a stable system
- Anyone uncomfortable running a possibly frequently broken system
- Anyone in a production environment with data or workflows that need to be reliable
Kubuntu Beta Releases are recommended for:
- Regular users who want to help us test by finding, reporting, and/or fixing bugs
- Kubuntu, KDE, and Qt developers
Please report your installation results on the Release tracker.
General bug reporting guidelines can be found here: ReportingBugs
For Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and other flavours you can also take part in the testing week for the Beta. [|LINK HERE for info]].
Getting Kubuntu 22.04 Beta
Upgrading from 21.10 or 20.04
To upgrade to a Kubuntu 22.04 pre-release, run sudo do-release-upgrade -d from a command line.
Download a Disk Image
Download a Bootable image. Direct downloads, torrents, and zysnc are available as options.
New features and changes in 22.04 Beta
Core desktop and applications
Plasma 5.24: simple by default, powerful when needed
Plasma 5.24 has been developed to make it smoother to use while retaining the familiar setup.
KDE Apps updates, including KDE Gear 21.12 and other updated apps
Web browser and office suite
Firefox 98 snap is the default browser.
LibreOffice 7.3 is provided by default in the full installation.
Kubuntu 22.04 Beta ships with Qt 5.15.2. Update to 5.15.3 is expected soon after the beta release.
Plasma Wayland session
- A Plasma Wayland session is available for testing by installing the plasma-workspace-wayland package, but is not supported. A Wayland session can then be started by selecting it at the login screen.
Installer and live session
(1681144) Clicking on URLs in Kubuntu Installer Slideshow does nothing
(1681830) Ubiquity installer - No Label shown for where to enter LVM Encryption Passwords fields
(1706859) Auto-selected keyboard layout no longer matches chosen region on "Where are you" page
ZFS on root installer support
This was not implemented for the KDE front-end to the Ubiquity installer.
(1442512) Apport-kde crash when reporting bugs
Development of Kubuntu 22.04, Jammy Jellyfish, is ongoing and bugs are fixed every day. Before reporting bugs, please ensure your system is up to date. For verifying installation related bugs, updated disk images are available from Daily bootable images for standard PCs and laptops.