Gather and confirm ideas on additions and updates for the Server Guide during the Ubuntu 9.04 release cycle.
The ubuntu-serverguide package will include more information. Updated and Additional sections:
- Apache section updated, and integrated better with new LAMP Applications section.
- New Kerberos and LDAP section, which details configuring Kerberos KDCs with an OpenLDAP backend.
- All sections now have links on where to find further information.
- New Logical Volume Manager (LVM) sub-section under the Advanced Installation section.
- New update-motd section detailing how the Message Of The Day (MOTD) is updated in Ubuntu.
- DRBD is now covered in the new Clustering chapter.
- New section on using eCryptfs.
- New Eucalyptus section.
OpenNebula also gets it's own section.
(Will need to be updated depending on which sections make it in before SF).
It is mandatory.
A significant amount of problems with any computer system can be solved with good documentation. To that end having relevant and up to date documentation for the Ubuntu Server Edition is a worthwhile venture.
Documentation shipped with Ubuntu Server Edition in the ubuntu-serverguide package. Also, the content is available on the help.ubuntu.com web site.
Server admins are reading the Server Guide.
Currently the Ubuntu Server Guide is drafted in DocBook XML files. There are also corresponding pages in the Community Wiki related to topics in the guide.
Confirm or add to the proposed list of ideas gathered on the ServerTeam/IdeaPool page. Then document the confirmed subjects in DocBook format. Also, updating any relevant pages in the community wiki.
Detail storing Kerberos principals in LDAP. Needs Review
Section on LVM to supplement Software RAID. Done
DRBD Needs Review
Update and expand Apache section. Needs Review
Server Guide Proposal (LAMP/Tomcat/Scripting Languages) Needs Review
Need to update the Wiki Applications section and change it to LAMP Applications combining content from ApacheMySQLPHP page. Needs Review
- Review Virtualization section to make sure it covers necessary tools and procedures.
- Updates to current sections.
Update RAID section to RAID both / and swap partitions. Needs Review
Fix bugs in current guide. Done
Provide a PDF of the Server Guide. Done - Should be provided with update to help.ubuntu.com
- Update the landing page of the Ubuntu Documentation: have a Ubuntu Server section at the same level as Desktop section. Then a list of the first level sections of the Server Guide.
Explain /etc/motd and how it's updated. Needs Review
Screen usage. Needs Review
- Ubuntu Cloud Computing
Eucalyptus integration. Done
OpenNebula section. Needs Review
EcryptFS options. Needs Review
Added Resources/References for each section. Needs Review
Section on etckeeper. Needs Review
JauntyServerGuide (last edited 2009-03-31 16:29:15 by cOn75)