I'm Joe Liau, the "Master Presenter" for Ubuntu Vancouver LoCo (UVLC). I've been an Ubuntu contributor for 4 years, primarily as one of the core members of UVLC. I have also participated in Ubuntu forums, bug reporting, and Ubuntu marketing efforts.
Here's my Community Week Collector Card: http://randall.executiv.es/sites/default/files/images/ucw_card_joe.preview.png
Began development of "Say Ubuntu" Ubuntu Touch app (July 17, 2013)
Created "U2: A Day in the Life of Ubuntu" promotional video (Feb 12, 2012)
Presented "Haters Gonna Hate: Grow Your Community With Less Negativity" at Ubuntu Community Week (July 20, 2011)
Hosted and organized "TreatTuesday - Cambie" (September 5, 2012)
Hosted and organized "TreatTuesday - Cambie" (August 2, 2011)
- Member of organizing crew for "U Party! A Celebration of Ubuntu and Unity" (June 17, 2011)
- Co-hosted "Workshop: A2B PC #4 - VLC Me One More Time" ; presented VLC tutorial/demo (June 2, 2011)
- Co-hosted "Workshop: A2B PC #3 - You Can Go VLC Yourself!" ; presented VLC tutorial/demo (May 26, 2011)
- Co-hosted "Workshop: A2B PC #2 - Getting Really Foxed Up" ; presented Firefox tutorial/demo (May 19, 2011)
Hosted and organized "TreatTuesday - Cambie" (May 17, 2011)
- Co-hosted Ubuntu "Workshop: A2B PC - What the Fox?" ; presented Firefox tutorial/demo (May 12, 2011)
- Member of organizing crew for "U-500 Party! A Wine and Cheese Social" (March 11, 2011)
- Member of organizing crew for "A Real Maverick Meerkat Party!" (December 4, 2010)
Member of organizing crew for "Ubuntu Vancouver LoCo September 'Main Event'" ; presented "Share Ubuntu! Share the Party!" lightning talk (September 19, 2010)
Created "I love it when a party comes together" UVLC Meerkat Party promotional video (September 18, 2010)
Co-hosted "ThemeNight: Produce and Edit Great Video Using Ubuntu" ; presented Cinelerra tutorial/demo (September 10, 2010)
Member of organizing crew for "Ubuntu Vancouver LoCo July "Main Event" (formerly called a "General Meeting")"; presented "How I Came to Ubuntu" lightning talk (July 17, 2010)
Member of organizing crew for "Ubuntu Vancouver LoCo May General Meeting"; presented "Computing for Human Beings: Your Ubuntu workstation for YOUR body" talk on ergonomics (May 31, 2010)
Assisted support heroes at "SupportSaturday 6: 'Install, Upgrade, and Tweak-Fest for 10.04'" (May 29,2010)
- Member of organizing crew for "The Best Lucid Lynx Party in the World" of over 100 attendees (May 1, 2010)
- Co-hosted "Have the Audacity to Say Ubuntu!" theme night; presented Audacity tutorial/demo (March 17, 2010)
- Co-hosted "Manipulate Your Images on Ubuntu!" theme night; presented GIMP tutorial/demo (February 3, 2010)
- Member of organizing crew for the "Karmic Koala" Party (October 30, 2009)
- Presented WINE demo at Ubuntu Theme Night "Making Ubuntu Your Friend in a Windows World" (October 22, 2009)
My goal is to inspire others, especially youths in the community, by sharing Ubuntu through events, education, and 100% free software multimedia projects. I want Ubuntu to be associated with "fun". I want Ubuntu events to attract those from the other side of the chasm. I want to grow Ubuntu.
If you know me and have something nice to say, please leave a comment here.
Joe Liau joined Ubuntu Vancouver LoCo (UVLC) in the spring of 2009 and began contributing almost immediately. He contributed to our group consistently and with artistry. He has presented Ubuntu topics dozens of times at UVLC events. He has helped to organize parties and other social events that are designed to spread and promote Ubuntu. Joe lives and breathes the Ubuntu ethos and I recommend him wholeheartedly for Ubuntu membership. I am confident that he will serve the project well and help bring Ubuntu to the masses, in a fun way. RandallRoss, 'Ubuntu Member, Ubuntu Vancouver Community Manager, Ubuntu Vancouver Buzz Generator.'
Joseph has been an invaluable contributor to the Avaneya project in creating concept artwork and as a think tank. He's also presented some very original and creative ideas at UVLC meetings and we're all very grateful for his presence. ~ Kip Warner (UVLC Member)
Thanks to Joe, I and many others found out about Ubuntu and the local community, and our Ubuntu parties were always way more successful. He has an awesome desire to learn and grow which has inspired me and others to do the same. Thanks, Joe. -Wayne Taylor (UVLC Member)
Joe's numerous contributions to Ubuntu Vancouver LoCo have included multiple presentations, marketing events, meeting preparation and creation of UBC Ubuntu. His presentations are professional, organized, informative and entertaining which have earned him the title of Master Presenter. Joe continues to be an valuable contributor, promoter and advocate of Ubuntu. I gladly support his application for membership. ~ Charlene Tessier (UVLC:Marketing Maven)